CL next season

The European Performance Spots will go to the associations with the best collective performance by their clubs in the previous season's UEFA men's club competitions (i.e. the association club coefficient of the previous season, which is based on the total number of club coefficient points obtained by each club from an association divided by the number of participating clubs from that association). Italy and Germany are now guaranteed to claim these two extra spots. A full explainer can be found here.

7 hours ago, SkylineBlue said:

Still canny believe we've single handedly  dragged this fucking country into automatic Champions League spots and then given it to those cunts every fucking year. We've given them close to £100m from Champions League money across the past 3 seasons.

I laughed when I read this because it's so fucking true, we're the self harm champions of the world.

We'd go into the 3rd qualifying round, Non-Champions route. As it stands we could play the winners of the 2nd round (as it stands, teams like Fenerbahce, Slavia Prague, RB Salzburg, Partizan Belgrade, Lugano) or unseeded teams who enter at the 3rd round. 

In the play-off round, we'll be seeded if Club Brugge don't get there. If they do, then we'll be unseeded and could play either Benfica or Brugge. 

In short, forget about it.

7 hours ago, SkylineBlue said:

Still canny believe we've single handedly  dragged this fucking country into automatic Champions League spots and then given it to those cunts every fucking year. We've given them close to £100m from Champions League money across the past 3 seasons.

In a word, devastating

2 minutes ago, psb07158 said:

We'd go into the 3rd qualifying round, Non-Champions route. As it stands we could play the winners of the 2nd round (as it stands, teams like Fenerbahce, Slavia Prague, RB Salzburg, Partizan Belgrade, Lugano) or unseeded teams who enter at the 3rd round. 

In the play-off round, we'll be seeded if Club Brugge don't get there. If they do, then we'll be unseeded and could play either Benfica or Brugge. 

We won't be playing Benfica, they will be going straight into the group stages. We will be seeded.

5 minutes ago, psb07158 said:

Pretty much have. These games will be smack in the middle of us trying to build a new starting 11. 

16 minutes ago, psb07158 said:

Without a very favourable draw I don’t see us getting through that with the squad rebuild that’s required.

Depressing stuff tbh.

28 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

The new format is absolutely gash.

Yup. Basically ends up like the Super League they never wanted. Next to impossible for lower ranked teams to progress unless there is some miracle.

1 hour ago, Rangers_no1 said:

We won't be playing Benfica, they will be going straight into the group stages. We will be seeded.

Ahh fair. Is that because Russian teams will be blocked again and so they go in as the highest seeded team? I was just going by Kassie’s UEFA site and he still has Benfica in

14 minutes ago, esquire8 said:

Yup. Basically ends up like the Super League they never wanted. Next to impossible for lower ranked teams to progress unless there is some miracle.

I'm not a fan of the new format, but it is actually easier for the smaller teams to make some sort of progress.

Only 12 teams go out in the league phase vs 16 in the current format. That means 24 teams (67%) go through to a knockout round vs 16 now (50%).

It should mean more of the smaller teams get an opportunity for knockout matches which they wouldn't have got before. It also guarantees the smaller teams 2 more matches and hence more money.

I think it may well end up being a format people initially hate but then actually prefer.

Just now, Somemightsay7 said:

I'm not a fan of the new format, but it is actually easier for the smaller teams to make some sort of progress.

Only 12 teams go out in the league phase vs 16 in the current format. That means 24 teams (67%) go through to a knockout round vs 16 now (50%).

It should mean more of the smaller teams get an opportunity for knockout matches which they wouldn't have got before. It also guarantees the smaller teams 2 more matches and hence more money.

I think it may well end up being a format people initially hate but then actually prefer.

There's no dropout to the Europa League. More teams through to the knockout round but against much stronger opponents.

It's a format to keep the big teams happy.

17 minutes ago, psb07158 said:

Ahh fair. Is that because Russian teams will be blocked again and so they go in as the highest seeded team? I was just going by Kassie’s UEFA site and he still has Benfica in

Technically Benfica are not confirmed yet mate. Atalanta only need 3 points from 3 league games in Serie A to confirm it.

Solely based on the EL holder also qualifying for the CL through the league. Opens up a spot to the highest seeded side to advance into the group stage.

4 minutes ago, esquire8 said:

There's no dropout to the Europa League. More teams through to the knockout round but against much stronger opponents.

It's a format to keep the big teams happy.

That's what teams going into the Champions League should want though, a better opportunity to progress in the Champions League, not an easier way to fail into the Europa.

I've never been a fan of CL teams dropping into the Europa personally.

4 hours ago, Somemightsay7 said:

I've never been a fan of CL teams dropping into the Europa personally.

Nor me, but then we got to two finals off the back of that so, it’s something I could live with.

I actually think the qualifying route looks easier on paper this year if Leverkusen win the Europa League. 

We could be in with a shot, but that is solely dependent on new bodies hitting the ground running in pre season, we can’t keep relying on the same old faces. Despite it affecting this year’s budget as it is an unknown, being in that CL and at least matching their income from it lets us put a building block or two down. We need to be sharp come the end of July. 

Rangers enter in QR3 where there will be 4 ties – Rangers will be one of 4 seeded teams, possible opponents as it stands:
Fenerbahçe🇹🇷, Dynamo Kyiv🇺🇦, Brest🇫🇷 and Twente🇳🇱 (based on Fenerbahçe & Dynamo Kyiv beating Partizan Belgrade and Lugano in QR2)

_____
IF THEY LOSE QR3

🔽 If Rangers are eliminated in QR3 they go into the Europa League Phase as a pot 1 team, although pots do not matter as there is no competitive advantage to being in a higher pot in the new format

IF THEY WIN QR3

2⃣ The CL playoff league path will have two ties and so Rangers would be one of two seeded teams (assuming Benfica not in qualifying) & so would avoid the other seeded team, likely Club Brugge🇧🇪 (if they too win their QR3 tie)
Their potential opponents as it stands include Slavia Prague🇨🇿 or Salzburg🇦🇹 (based on these teams beating the previous mentioned unseeded teams)

🤷‍♂️ So the likelihood is Rangers will need to beat teams of the quality of Fenerbahçe🇹🇷 & then Salzburg🇦🇹 which would be incredibly difficult – but they could get very lucky and instead play the likes of Partizan Belgrade🇷🇸 (if they cause an upset in QR2) and Twente🇳🇱 (if they cause an upset in QR3)

______
AFTER THE PO ROUND

🔽 If Rangers lose the PO round they drop into the Europa League phase but the benefit of at least reaching this round is they will also receive the CL playoff elimination fee of €4.28m (less than last season’s €5m due to the €30m elimination pot split between 7 teams at this stage this year instead of 6)

2⃣ If Rangers win both rounds & reach the Champions League, they’d likely be in pot 2 but as mentioned in the Celtic tweet, this does not matter in terms of difficulty of fixture