Clement: I had other expectations when I came.

Rangers boss Philippe Clement has confessed he still doesn't have enough of the quality operators required to declare his side Champions League ready.

The Belgian boss has so far brought in five new signings this summer - but he has made the blunt admission that a lot more are required to give his Light Blues the best shot at reaching the group stage. He insists he’s not giving up on joining the rest of Europe’s top clubs at UEFA’s top table. But the former Club Brugge boss warned: “We need to [add to the squad] We need extra bodies and extra quality to be successful.

“I always believe that with your squad you can succeed, because otherwise you cannot get results against Real Madrid with a team like Brugge. Everyone said that was impossible. But if you don’t believe it is possible, it will never happen. So it’s about the mindset of the players. They must believe in themselves and be hungry to become better because it’s not only about quality, it’s about work rate, it’s about mentality, it’s about what you do every day.

“I’ve seen players that are now better than they were six months ago. We’ve been working hard for that kind of mindset in all the players who have come in. We want them all ambitious to become better and with all the staff together we can give them the tools to become better. So in that way, I believe that with whatever squad we have at that moment will have the ability to qualify. But everybody needs to be at their top and the more quality you have, the better your chance.”

There’s no easy games in Europe any more but the list of potential opponents Gers might have to overcome to reach UEFA’s premier tournament will likely only add to the sense of dread currently gripping the Ibrox faithful. Monday’s draw for the third qualifying round could see them paired against Jose Mourinho’s Fenerbahce, 2022’s opponents Union Saint-Gilloise, FC Twente, Lugano, Dynamo Kyiv or Partizan Belgrade. In the play-off round, Lille and Red Bull Salzburg will be added to the big-spending sides lying in wait.

"It is for sure not easy because you need to qualify against teams with a much bigger budget,” confessed Clement.

"That’s the reality. We did it a few years ago with Brugge. The advantage then at that moment was that you had your core of your team already a few years together. We are building that now. You need to build a core for the next couple of years and that’s why players like Mohamed Diomande were really important to bring in in January. We see him grow in the months after and again now.

“We’re busy with doing that and we’re going to throw ourselves full to qualify because everything is possible. Of course, you’re not going to be favourites in these qualifying games against teams with bigger budgets and maybe teams who play a long time together. That’s the interesting thing, to have this challenge. You want to be in this position.

“It’s amazing to be a Rangers player and have these challenges. Better to play for those things than to be in a team where you don’t have these challenges and you only have the league and the cup. Everyone wants to go to the Champions League. Me also, I have been there several times and it's a nice world.”

Reaching the promised land is a huge task for Clement and his players. But having been part of a string of shocks down the years, he insists he won’t be surprised in the slightest to see Rangers lining up alongside the continent’s top teams. Looking back on his Champions League memories, he said: “When I managed Brugge, we drew against Madrid, against PSG. We won in Leipzig, against Zenit. A lot of good memories.

“And as a player also. Winning in Milan, winning against a good Ajax team with Sneijder, van der Vaart, Ibrahimovic. So those are memories that I’ll be able to tell my grandchildren. I don’t have any yet but maybe one day! Those are the memories for life and the players are of course also motivated to be there. But it’s also important that they don’t forget the league because it’s now our focus to get the squad ready to play every three days in August.

“Some players will be ready for that, others not yet because they’re coming out of injury and won’t be able to play 90 minutes every three days or even once a week. So we have to get the squad fit so they can put it in every game and then make a good start to the season.”

On 14/07/2024 at 23:11, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Sobering 😒

We need to be a lot smarter in the market. We are having to pay premium for some players in order to get them to Scotland. What our reqruitment team are doing now is at least an attempt to get them before you need to pay a premium. We have to get a few signings like that every year. Some of them will work out ( some wont, of course). 

24 minutes ago, JackAlex93 said:

I'm already scunnered this season and it's not even August yet. We are a complete and utter shambles from top to bottom and it's depressing. I couldn't blame Clement if he was hoping for a way out

I’d like to think Clement sees this situation as a challenge & an opportunity to make his mark against the odds.  

55 minutes ago, Amokachi said:

I’d like to think Clement sees this situation as a challenge & an opportunity to make his mark against the odds.  

You can put lipstick on a pig, it's still a pig.  He's fucked and we're fucked if this remains the squad.  Wright, Dessers, Tav, Goldson, Lawrence, Dowell, Matondo, even fucking Souttar, ffs. 

1 hour ago, Amokachi said:

He will see it as a challenge and is a positive guy. But if it becomes untenable with bad results/injuries/gap in league early on in the season I could see a 'mutual termination' after he slaughters the board for this mess. He will also need to protect his own record.

I'm usually optimistic, but unless we get players sold or miraculously scrape into champions league I can see this getting quite ugly soon this season.

17 minutes ago, Boybluesy said:

You can put lipstick on a pig, it's still a pig.  He's fucked and we're fucked if this remains the squad.  Wright, Dessers, Tav, Goldson, Lawrence, Dowell, Matondo, even fucking Souttar, ffs. 

Like everyone else I’m really hoping we can shift some of those on & recruit a higher standard of player.

However it pans out I’m sure the manager & his staff will be all in on making the best of it. 

19 hours ago, Amokachi said:

Doesn't seem like the sort that would throw the towel in at the first sign of adversity. 

31 minutes ago, Darth Bear said:

Doesn't seem like the sort that would throw the towel in at the first sign of adversity. 

He’s been here since October last year - he’s well past the first sign of adversity.

19 hours ago, Amokachi said:

Sounds as if he does from that interview mate.

The board have dealt him and our support a cunt of a hand though.

4 hours ago, Loyal72 said:

Know Clement was a bit annoyed, but ffs Boyd shut up

Absolutely nothing wrong with anything he has said there we all thought it ourselves when the Clement came out and said what he did last week. He must be fucking fuming privately imo. 

37 minutes ago, KingKirk said:

Absolutely nothing wrong with anything he has said there we all thought it ourselves when the Clement came out and said what he did last week. He must be fucking fuming privately imo. 

Kris Boyd says he has only one option and that’s to quit?  And you think there’s nothing wrong in that. Do you think he should quit too? 

8 hours ago, Loyal72 said:

Know Clement was a bit annoyed, but ffs Boyd shut up

If this indirectly puts pressure on the board to act and back Celment in this transfer window then good. Can't see it however due to our transfer activity so far & looks like we need to sell first.

Rarely managers walk from a club unless they find themselves in an impossible postion anyway. Celment could become a great manager for us but this squad needs overhauled.

4 hours ago, KeyserSoze said:

Kris Boyd says he has only one option and that’s to quit?  And you think there’s nothing wrong in that. Do you think he should quit too? 

He ain't going to quit but I wouldn't be surprised if he went at the first offer or two of another job. He's trying to navigate in a ship captained by charlatans and morons. 

Spent about 7 million and brought in maybe 100k for Mccrorie.

Has Hagi and Lammers back.:ang:

6 New players in.

6 players out 

Squad was too big before.

Should be excited for the season and working on his tactics and players in their right positions. Not being so rigid in formations when it comes to certain opponents.

Lots of areas for Clement to improve on in his own work. He is a good manager but let's all add a pinch of realism. Could have done better in league and against them- was unlucky with injuries so gets more time.

Needs Koppen to shift a few and hopefully playing a blinder on the Limited funds patter to offset all the talk of ow Rangers will be spending to overall squad.

The board are woeful and they clearly don't know how to run a football club. 

7 hours ago, KeyserSoze said:

Boyd doesn't say Clement only has one option. He says he fears Clements view of the situation will be that he only has one option, to leave.

There's little wrong in having concern PC may view things that way. Enough on here have said the same.

8 hours ago, KeyserSoze said:

I do if he doesn't get what he deserves. Which is his own players. The situation he has been handed is horrendous. 

34 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Boyd doesn't say Clement only has one option. He says he fears Clements view of the situation will be that he only has one option, to leave.

There's little wrong in having concern PC may view things that way. Enough on here have said the same.

That’s what I said. So Kris Boyd gives an opinion piece to a rag and is all of a sudden “ a mind reader”. 

My interpretation of everything said and done is that he’s here for the long run and understands exactly what needs done.

His actions so far have backed that up  

8 minutes ago, KingKirk said:

I do if he doesn't get what he deserves. Which is his own players. The situation he has been handed is horrendous. 

So none of the new players are his?  Albeit a mix of development and first team squad. 

7 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

So none of the new players are his?  Albeit a mix of development and first team squad. 

He said it himself he had different expectations when he arrived to now. He will carry the can reqardless as manager but he's being badly let down at this stage. 

2 weeks away from our first game and that starting 11 apart from a player or two will look similar to our last game v hearts in may. 

He wasn't the first and won't be the last manager to be shafted by this board. 

3 minutes ago, KingKirk said:

He said it himself he had different expectations when he arrived to now. He will carry the can reqardless as manager but he's being badly let down at this stage. 

2 weeks away from our first game and that starting 11 apart from a player or two will look similar to our last game v hearts in may. 

He wasn't the first and won't be the last manager to be shafted by this board. 

My interpretation is that when he came in October he had expectations that joining such a massive club, it’s history and  having made two Europa finals recently would lead him to believe something different from reality. He took the job fully aware. 

Others can interpret what he said meaning he was shafted and lied to during the interview process.

Remember he has had two windows now. Do you think he’s just finding out now. He’s not a fucking mug by all accounts. 

Boyd is a donut, and this kind of daft article highlights exactly the difference between our shambles of a comms strategy and the filths coordinated, targeted one.

Likes of Hartson, Sutton, Wilson, Donnelly and anyone else on their side would never come out with pish like this.