Shambles from top to bottom

On 16/08/2024 at 21:07, Somemightsay7 said:

We've backed them for years now and have only went backwards.

Our fans are the one good thing about our club. To blame our fans who are the best in the world at following a team is embarrassing. Clubs would kill to have fans like ours. 

That’s what supporters do, back their team through thick and thin. It may have been where I was sitting on Tuesday but I found the atmosphere toxic. A big number of fans where I was sitting were there to vent and foaming at the mouth at every possible opportunity. I’ve been going to games home and away for 30 years but feels like a chore to go to our games just now. Many contributing factors but one of them is the atmosphere around me. Just my opinion.

23 minutes ago, westenclosure2008 said:

That’s what supporters do, back their team through thick and thin. It may have been where I was sitting on Tuesday but I found the atmosphere toxic. A big number of fans where I was sitting were there to vent and foaming at the mouth at every possible opportunity. I’ve been going to games home and away for 30 years but feels like a chore to go to our games just now. Many contributing factors but one of them is the atmosphere around me. Just my opinion.

I’m in Australia and feel the same. I don’t enjoy watching the games, don’t look forward to them and don’t enjoy going to the supporters club either. Everything around Rangers just now is hugely toxic 

5 hours ago, The Archer said:

Im wondering if the board were happy for the stadium issue to happen as it meant a great excuse to not splurge money on transfers.They spend money on everything but decent quality players

Having Ibrox ready or not would have no bearing on what the club can afford to spend on transfers. 

If anything the board would have probably felt more confident playing the CL ties at Ibrox and where confident of getting the CL jackpot. I do believe its just been a huge error of timing.

Would be interesting to see how much it's cost Rangers not only for the Copland Stand but for renting Hampden etc.

12 hours ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Love all your comparisons and contrasts, but the only fact that's important is that Gerrard won the league in his 3rd season. Fact. He also didn't have resources to do so over and above our main rival, and much of the revenue gained was from what his team achieved in Europe.

Do you have confidence Clement can achieve a league title win by the end of his 3rd season? If so why, if not then is this the right guy in charge of the right project?

So will clement get a full squad overhaul and a full 3 seasons, 2 of which is his choice of squad completely? 

Cause eventually we need to give a manager that time, clement has money in the bank that he's won titles elsewhere with 2 different teams, surely with his record in belgium we give him that time 

Tarriers are absolutely blowing us out the water financially just now, and pretty much all of the blame is on the board for the shortsighted attitude during gerrards era, it was all about stopping the ten, no trading model, no looking to the future, just stop the ten and hope the tarriers go into freefall

In all honesty i have absolutely no clue if clement will be good enough, because right now he's still having to use absolute shite that we probably should have cleared out before beale came nevermind when clement arrived, our squad it littered with fucking garbage none of which he signed (jury still out on some of his signings so they may add to that list) 

16 minutes ago, Jimfanciesthedude said:

So will clement get a full squad overhaul and a full 3 seasons, 2 of which is his choice of squad completely? 

Cause eventually we need to give a manager that time, clement has money in the bank that he's won titles elsewhere with 2 different teams, surely with his record in belgium we give him that time 

Tarriers are absolutely blowing us out the water financially just now, and pretty much all of the blame is on the board for the shortsighted attitude during gerrards era, it was all about stopping the ten, no trading model, no looking to the future, just stop the ten and hope the tarriers go into freefall

In all honesty i have absolutely no clue if clement will be good enough, because right now he's still having to use absolute shite that we probably should have cleared out before beale came nevermind when clement arrived, our squad it littered with fucking garbage none of which he signed (jury still out on some of his signings so they may add to that list) 

I think the thing with his signings so far is you at least see what they offer in spells, even Fabio Silva looked amazing in short spells. So we finally look like we are buying players to fit an actual system which we seemed to throw out the window after Gerrard too.

7 hours ago, ZZed said:

I see some similarities but vast differences between Gerrard coming in and Clement coming in. Both squads were poor and directionless, both needed new blood and fighting spirit put in to them. Both managers have had money to buy. Differences Clement has the some of the same players as Gerrard but Goldson, Jack, Roofe, Lundstrum , Tav, and Barisic were basically done; mountains of deadwood throughout the squad to shift on. Beale had left him with long term contracts with poor standard players that he had to shift as well. A board that sold him a lie about funds and then changed personnel. Gerrard took 3 years to get us to the point of winning the league and in my view Clement has walked in to a worse situation trying to fix 3 years of mismanagement and poor recruitment. Gerrard has a board that would front load the funding so he could take some chances on players but Clement has not got that. I think Clement also has to try and sort out the loser mentality that appears to be ingrained into some of this squad before it rubs off on the new players.  I wish him luck, but if we sack him, we will be a bigger mess than now, as our reputation will be awful and no one of any merit would touch us.

Good post mate. 👍

I agree with the last page... Clement needs time. Firing him if we win nothing this year will create further problems. I like most of his and Koppen's signings. However, Nsilia, looked nowhere near ready based on his cameo, and I suspect he never will be. And the enigma that is Igamane. We will have to give them the benefit of the doubt on that one until we eventually see him.

If we can get two or three more in the mould of Barron, Cerny, Jefté and Propper, before the window closes, we might start to see an improvement soon.

Gotta keep the faith.

8 hours ago, ZZed said:

I see some similarities but vast differences between Gerrard coming in and Clement coming in. Both squads were poor and directionless, both needed new blood and fighting spirit put in to them. Both managers have had money to buy. Differences Clement has the some of the same players as Gerrard but Goldson, Jack, Roofe, Lundstrum , Tav, and Barisic were basically done; mountains of deadwood throughout the squad to shift on. Beale had left him with long term contracts with poor standard players that he had to shift as well. A board that sold him a lie about funds and then changed personnel. Gerrard took 3 years to get us to the point of winning the league and in my view Clement has walked in to a worse situation trying to fix 3 years of mismanagement and poor recruitment. Gerrard has a board that would front load the funding so he could take some chances on players but Clement has not got that. I think Clement also has to try and sort out the loser mentality that appears to be ingrained into some of this squad before it rubs off on the new players.  I wish him luck, but if we sack him, we will be a bigger mess than now, as our reputation will be awful and no one of any merit would touch us.

Great post. 

31 minutes ago, J-Maestro said:

I think the thing with his signings so far is you at least see what they offer in spells, even Fabio Silva looked amazing in short spells. So we finally look like we are buying players to fit an actual system which we seemed to throw out the window after Gerrard too.

We dont have a settled team for one reason or another as well which wont help players, dunno if clement is doing it on purpose or he's trying to just find something that clicks, but he needs to find it fast, especially the midfield 3

10 hours ago, Jimfanciesthedude said:

I doubt he will if he doesn't pick up euro wins that generate the finance needed for an overhaul. Already fucked that this season costing us £5m/£40m whichever way you look at it. Or gets put out cups by anyone other than them. 

But we can't allow thar to happen year after year and say it's acceptable as its not his squad. He needs to deliver far more wins than he has.

I'm not looking for him to be chased, I'm looking for the evidence to believe in him. Some signings look good, some aren't even contributing which I find baffling when finances obviously so tight, but the style of play aligned to poor results is worse than the credit he gets for Barron / Jefte looking ok.

You talk about the scum blowing us away financially, and are right. But that simply can't and won't change til we win the league again. And we dominate the CL monies not them. And little about Clement suggest that's something he's equipped to do. We can't keep him for ever, or until every player leaves, to find out that he's not capable. He needs time, backing, support..... but not endlessly and unconditionally. He needs to pick up his game too, big time.

25 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

I doubt he will if he doesn't pick up euro wins that generate the finance needed for an overhaul. Already fucked that this season costing us £5m/£40m whichever way you look at it. Or gets put out cups by anyone other than them. 

But we can't allow thar to happen year after year and say it's acceptable as its not his squad. He needs to deliver far more wins than he has.

I'm not looking for him to be chased, I'm looking for the evidence to believe in him. Some signings look good, some aren't even contributing which I find baffling when finances obviously so tight, but the style of play aligned to poor results is worse than the credit he gets for Barron / Jefte looking ok.

You talk about the scum blowing us away financially, and are right. But that simply can't and won't change til we win the league again. And we dominate the CL monies not them. And little about Clement suggest that's something he's equipped to do. We can't keep him for ever, or until every player leaves, to find out that he's not capable. He needs time, backing, support..... but not endlessly and unconditionally. He needs to pick up his game too, big time.

Agree with this. 

He needs to turn things around and quickly, his current record is nowhere near good enough in terms of win rate never mind the substandard performances and shocking football on show. The squad is bereft of quality but then some of the little quality that is there is left sitting in the b team due to clashes of personality or man management. If Cantwell wants a move surely getting him on the pitch and in the shop window is a better option than him sitting rotting away in the b team offering him nothing. He isnt a world beater but he is certainly streets ahead of Lawrence in terms of ability.

I wonder if results do not improve under clement and the fans continue to voice their displeasure what will happen. The board may be forced to act regardless of the costs. Not doing so will just create more toxicity and they will be trying to save their own skins.

With how things have turned out I think Clement is getting this season unless we become in a fight for 2nd. After my initial anger at everything Rangers over the last few weeks. In all honesty what will be will be this season. Come next summer we need to be well on the road to completing this rebuild tho and see a major improvement in style of play etc. 

5 hours ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

He literally bagged the euro wins last season that beale wouldnt have, got us top of the group and into europe after xmas, so it can be argued he has already earned something to spend on the squad, 

Fact is gerrard and co absolutely shat the bed pre covid, and the board went baws out for lock down season instead of saying "nah no money" 

9 minutes ago, Jimfanciesthedude said:

He literally bagged the euro wins last season that beale wouldnt have, got us top of the group and into europe after xmas, so it can be argued he has already earned something to spend on the squad, 

Fact is gerrard and co absolutely shat the bed pre covid, and the board went baws out for lock down season instead of saying "nah no money" 

You really do struggle with the fact Gerrard won rhe league Jim. No really, it seems to grate on you whatever context it's mentioned. 🤣

We've just been papped out of the CL qualifiers. It's OK though, last season had some success. Yeah that's logical when talking about funds now to invest. Fucking hell.

17 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

You really do struggle with the fact Gerrard won rhe league Jim. No really, it seems to grate on you whatever context it's mentioned. 🤣

We've just been papped out of the CL qualifiers. It's OK though, last season had some success. Yeah that's logical when talking about funds now to invest. Fucking hell.

I struggle with the short sightedness that we all got caught up in when gerrard won the league, there was absolutely no future planning 

As for being papped out the CL, you miss my point, yeah its cost us big time, but the board threw money at gerrard when he wasnt in the CL, he didn't have the opportunity bar one time but its not a dig at gerrard its a dig at how the board were willing to fund his rebuild on europa league football but not clements

3 summers in a row we weren't even guaranteed EL group stage income but spent money, now we are guaranteed it and the rebuild is stuttering to a halt

Now if they can't for FFP reasons or whatever, thats fine, but then we as a fanbase must dampen our expectations regarding clement and his time here, and pray he can work a miracle

1 minute ago, Jimfanciesthedude said:

I struggle with the short sightedness that we all got caught up in when gerrard won the league, there was absolutely no future planning 

As for being papped out the CL, you miss my point, yeah its cost us big time, but the board threw money at gerrard when he wasnt in the CL, he didn't have the opportunity bar one time but its not a dig at gerrard its a dig at how the board were willing to fund his rebuild on europa league football but not clements

3 summers in a row we weren't even guaranteed EL group stage income but spent money, now we are guaranteed it and the rebuild is stuttering to a halt

Now if they can't for FFP reasons or whatever, thats fine, but then we as a fanbase must dampen our expectations regarding clement and his time here, and pray he can work a miracle

Gerrard was on a 4 year contract and won the league, stopping 10iar in 3 years. Money was front loaded and understandably so given he was a novice and he had only 3 years to stop their 10.  Given Gerrard succeeded, with the players developed we also didn't exactly go bust at that stage or at the start with Gio? What happened after 55 is where we've really fucked up not Gerrards tenure and I'd say it was Board and managerial incompetence rather than short sightedness.

Surely Gerrards budgets came from Europa income and Board investment? We're clearly having to be more self sufficient, break even, cut wage bills etc and the same investments aren't there. Of course it's changed, and whilst theres not been full transparency from the Board, some of this stuff ie self sufficiency has been known about for years. Clement would have known some of the shift to be more prudent.

I think most folk are dampening expectations. But I also think some seem to believe we've got to give Clement the 3 or so years as its a project. And that for me can't be the case if the foundations aren't there or there's no belief in his tactics and management etc. He definitely get at least another 12 months minimum to include 2 more transfer windows (unless results become utterly horrendous this season) but he needs to deliver much more than he has in recent months to get further buy in.