Tonight: An evening with the Manager

32 minutes ago, PromDeAnglais said:

Q: How many windows until you have the squad you want?

A: I wish I had the answer to that and had this crystal ball. I know a lot of fans and young ones like to play the PlayStation, Football Manager and all those things. But in real life it is totally different. You cannot make any prediction about that because first it’s about the finances you have yourself - I don’t know that yet for January - it’s about finding the right players and convincing them to come. It has to do with relationships with players and agents and with other clubs also, if they want to let them go or not. It’s impossible to predict that. All I can say is we will do it as fast as possible but you don’t have everything in your own hands in that way. You can only work really hard for that.

I'm potentially over-analysing here, or he's hopefully just playing the game, but he should know the January budget. We're in September, and as we've seen during the summer it takes time to get transfers sorted. 

I'm not saying we should be announcing signings now, but you'd think we'd be starting to put plans in place for January. Our forward planning (and finances) are lacking.

1 minute ago, Negri's lovechild said:

I'm potentially over-analysing here, or he's hopefully just playing the game, but he should know the January budget. We're in September, and as we've seen during the summer it takes time to get transfers sorted. 

I'm not saying we should be announcing signings now, but you'd think we'd be starting to put plans in place for January. Our forward planning (and finances) are lacking.

Well he'll likely know two different finances for jan, one if EL is going well and we look like progressing to the playoffs, and the 2nd budget will be if we are being horsed every game and going out on our arses 

Also he can forward plan all he likes, but a lot of clubs won't make any decisions on players until way closer, he could have s list of 5 targets, all available now, but by xmas they could be unavailable for various reasons

Wouldnt get too worked up about the jan window, it's a shite window anyway 

7 minutes ago, Jimfanciesthedude said:

Well he'll likely know two different finances for jan, one if EL is going well and we look like progressing to the playoffs, and the 2nd budget will be if we are being horsed every game and going out on our arses 

Also he can forward plan all he likes, but a lot of clubs won't make any decisions on players until way closer, he could have s list of 5 targets, all available now, but by xmas they could be unavailable for various reasons

Wouldnt get too worked up about the jan window, it's a shite window anyway 

We need to make the next stage of the Europa league just to break even as a football club so I'd be surprised if the manager got a few extra £m on account of getting to the next stage

33 minutes ago, psb07158 said:

We need to make the next stage of the Europa league just to break even as a football club so I'd be surprised if the manager got a few extra £m on account of getting to the next stage

We're getting horsed....would be a miracle if this group gets out the EL format.

1 hour ago, The Specky Forum Organiser said:

It's an event run by the club to raise money for charity, it was always going to be a whole load of nothing. The AGM is the time for hard questions and home truths.

Such as? Remember we had that guy offering up X/y/z....😃

38 minutes ago, psb07158 said:

He could maybe get it as an advance if a player he wanted was available sooner

Fact is theres a million things that could absolutely fuck even the best laid plans for January 

5 hours ago, Jimfanciesthedude said:

He could maybe get it as an advance if a player he wanted was available sooner

Fact is theres a million things that could absolutely fuck even the best laid plans for January 

We are already into the advances.  We seem to buy with next seasons money these days because we are so skint.

12 minutes ago, Prso's headband said:

It’s one of the worst things that’s attributed to us and we all buy into it. I can think of the top of my head about 5 of their signings in the last couple of years who have signed and within days scored on their debut. Hatate and Maeda are the ones that stick out because they came in January and hit the ground running instantly and won them the league that year. Kuhn debut goal, even the German CB they signed scored on his debut as well. 

Not us though, we need time to bed in, sometimes up to a year “got to give them a chance” patter. It’s sickening. You reckon a player they signed in July (Igamane) would have played 15 minutes for them by the middle of September? No chance

I think part of the issue is, particularly in the last couple of years, their recruitment is done with their system in mind. So the players have specific attributes to fit a specific role in their team/carry out specific instructions. Realistically, this happens at most serious football clubs nowadays.

Whereas you look at us, maybe our midfield specifically. Most folk will tell you Diomande and Barron really don't fit the roles they are currently playing in the formation we use. Barron can't play to the levels we want at the base of the midfield, neither can Diomande. Sterling? Nope. Have we signed anyone for that position? Nope. 

The Igamane situation is even worse, obviously. Where do we think this guy fits into our starting XI? It's anyone's guess really.

3 hours ago, The Godfather said:

We are already into the advances.  We seem to buy with next seasons money these days because we are so skint.

It's a good point actually. We seem keen to do loans with obligations to buy then rinse repeat. Klarna FC. 

13 hours ago, PromDeAnglais said:

Q: What can you say to fans who are growing impatient for regular success to return?

A: Everybody is working really hard for that and they need to realise players coming into this club need time to adapt, there is nobody in the world can predict how they will react. You have some players - not only here but in all the world - who need 3 months, 6 months and some after a week adapt. It’s a really personal thing you can’t predict before. I’m very sure we brought in several really talented players who will grow and will become better the next couple of years.

I really don't like that this seems to be an accepted narrative behind the scenes at Rangers. 

The scum buy a player, give him a run, and if he's shite then they drop him. They've done it last season with Nawrocki, Haksabanovich, Lagerbeilke. We seem to hang on to dross in the hope they come good eventually. I get resources are an issue and we don't have a lot of depth at the minute, but this has been a trend at us for years. 

8 minutes ago, Craiggybear said:

I really don't like that this seems to be an accepted narrative behind the scenes at Rangers. 

The scum buy a player, give him a run, and if he's shite then they drop him. They've done it last season with Nawrocki, Haksabanovich, Lagerbeilke. We seem to hang on to dross in the hope they come good eventually. I get resources are an issue and we don't have a lot of depth at the minute, but this has been a trend at us for years. 

Thats cause we are buying first team players that need to be better than what we have, so they need more time, the tarriers are buying players in the hope they are as good as the ones they can sell in the team, if they are they make money, if not they go buy someone else 

Because they sold jota for that money, no one will bat an eye at the fact that palma can barely get a game for them now, and they spent a good whack on him

Had they found a striker as prolific as kyogo even last season he wouldn't be here, same with vickers at centre half

They can afford to buy project after project knowing full well that spending 10-15mill on them only needs one to pay off

Whereas we need to buy first team players who will be title winning players before profit makers

thats exactly it, due to our mismanagement we are so far behind them in that department it will take years to catch up if we ever do. its sickening to think these scum are so far ahead of us in every single avenue of running a football club. I suppose we need to be thankful that we are protestants and not kiddy fiddlers which goes a long way to making me feel better.

We replaced regular starters with players “needing time”. We should have bought first team players ready to go. 

We have reduced our average age significantly but not many have experience to win stuff. 

PC is planning for the future but my opinion is that he hasn’t got the balance right. 

30 minutes ago, Faction Walter said:

There's something wrong at the club, I don't have any clue what it is but something stinks.

We sign a player and it takes weeks/months for them to get up to speed. The scum sign McCowan for example and he's on the bench and makes his debut the next day.

Something is fundamentally wrong at the club.

We signed Barron and he was straight in. Players from the same league don't need to get upto speed. 

The thing you think is wrong is Clement making sure the player is fully fit and capable before playing him, rightly or wrongly. He makes sure by taking full guidance from the medical team. 

15 minutes ago, esquire8 said:

We signed Barron and he was straight in. Players from the same league don't need to get upto speed. 

The thing you think is wrong is Clement making sure the player is fully fit and capable before playing him, rightly or wrongly. He makes sure by taking full guidance from the medical team. 

Yet started Matondo against celtic knowing he had a hamstring issue . 

36 minutes ago, esquire8 said:

"He makes sure by taking full guidance from the medical team."

They made the call.

There’s plenty times players strap up and play through, especially for big games, but a fucking mental move with a hamstring issue.

Even more mental that he was allowed to keep going after he went down with it early on.

3 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

There’s plenty times players strap up and play through, especially for big games, but a fucking mental move with a hamstring issue.

Even more mental that he was allowed to keep going after he went down with it early on.

Maybe they thought he was Barisic 2.0.

Just now, graeme_4 said:

Was my first thought tbh, but we have to be dealing with these things better. 

Think it was the fact it wasn’t the game to chuck Robbie Fraser in to and we only had McCausland who is shite on the left is why we risked it.

1 minute ago, J-Maestro said:

Think it was the fact it wasn’t the game to chuck Robbie Fraser in to and we only had McCausland who is shite on the left is why we risked it.

Total clusterfuck all round that we’ve went from having an offer for him and a loan lined up for a decent looking winger, to 10 minutes into the next game being without anyone for the next 3 months.