Is Alex McLeish a Rangers legend?

Boab

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HIS team won 2 trophies and gave us 2 barren years with some of the worst football seen at Ibrox. His record looks good because of the team and system he inherited (similar to his terms at Motherwell and Hibs).

Correct 100 per cent.

He is a legend.

I find it baffling how a manager who was quite inept, and with a team playing poor quality football managed to have such a good record on paper.

He's either very gifted or a jammy bastard.

I tend to verge on the side of the latter tbh. I think he fluked his way to those titles. His signings on the whole were abysmal and he wasted so many players by putting them out of position its not real ... Lovenkrands, Averladze etc and the dropping of Klos IMO was a disgrace.

I find myself agree with everything Gids said!

He is a legend.

I find it baffling how a manager who was quite inept, and with a team playing poor quality football managed to have such a good record on paper.

I tend to verge on the side of the latter tbh. I think he fluked his way to those titles. His signings on the whole were abysmal and he wasted so many players by putting them out of position its not real ... Lovenkrands, Averladze etc and the dropping of Klos IMO was a disgrace.

Is this a first, like? :craphead: :pipehorse:

He is a legend.

Aye

He is a legend.

Yes, yes it is. :D

Let me start by saying McLeish has a lot of faults as a manager, and I often found myself screaming (not literally) for him to be removed before he did walk. Some ridiculous signings and team selections, coupled with some prolonged periods of terrible football were really, really painful for me as a Rangers fan.

However here's why he IS a legend in my eyes, and it's very simple: if Alex McLeish hadn't won the two league titles he did, in the circumstances he found himself (i.e. bugger all money, no continuity, and up against a very strong UEFA Cup Final-reaching Celtic side)... we would be staring a potential 8-in-a-row down the barrel right now. I don't know about anyone else, but the very thought scares me, no matter how well Walter is now doing.

A Legend is a very big word ... I would say Struth, Greig and Waddell are probably the only 3 although if Walter can pull off an encore to the 9IAR then he will definitely be right up there too.

I suppose a big part of acquiring legendary status is longevity, and Eck just wasn’t here long enough for that, although continuing to deliver silver wear while halving the wage bill does make him a significant figure in the history of the club.

I dont like to use the word legend for a manager that left such a short time ago, but i am sure in the future i will see him as a legend. He took over an under acheiving team of players and made them believe in themselfs again.

reasons for:

Last 16 of champions league

Helicopter sunday

Winning the treble

Putting rangers first when he wanted to leave

Accepting shite from fans and murray and rising above it

Winning the league in Oneils last season sending him from scotland with a failed season

Reasons against:

Some of the worst football i have ever seen at ibrox

Being to easily ruled by the board

Always defending players that have played badly

Playing decent players out of position

He is a legend.

Oh FFS. He fluked his way to records of played 38, won 29, drew 6 and lost 3 and played 38, won 31, drew 4 and lost 3? That's some amazing fucking fluke.

Minstral is right ... we did steal them.

Like Minstral you are wrong. We won both titles fair and square with better league records over the 38 games.

When you look at the percentage of the games won to games played when in charge, he actually won more games than WS first period in charge, John Greig, William Waddell, Scot Symon, Jock Wallace, Graeme Sounness, so I would have to say he should be classed as a legend.

On top of that he has left Rangers and gone on to become the Scotland manager.

He did inherit a talented squad but a squad in turmoil, won a treble.

Cost cutting meant he lost the squad, a scouting network and a transfer budget. Had to build a new side virtually every season, with a first team squad of what seemed like 11 at times.

Yet still managed to win more trophies.

Imagine what the guy could've done with a little support and a few scouts.

Cost cutting meant he lost the squad, a scouting network and a transfer budget. Had to build a new side virtually every season, with a first team squad of what seemed like 11 at times.

His record at all of his clubs follow a 'good start, terrible end' kind of pattern.

Had no reason to believe that Rangers would be any different.

He is a legend.

Oh FFS. He fluked his way to records of played 38, won 29, drew 6 and lost 3 and played 38, won 31, drew 4 and lost 3? That's some amazing fucking fluke.

Minstral is right ... we did steal them.

Like Minstral you are wrong. We won both titles fair and square with better league records over the 38 games.

lets get a bit of honesty here how many went to easter road and thought we could win the title, and that motherwell would beat the manky mob that day, look in the mirror and tell me you thought we would win the title, it was daylight roberry and the bookies were offering 20-1 that day that we would win the title and i did not notice a massive gamble to bet our team, but as i say it will go down as one of our greatest days in our history which i will never forget neither will the tims, but bottom line is with 5 min to go would you have given us a chance, yes no chance, the great train robbers got jailed for less. :pipe:

His record at all of his clubs follow a 'good start, terrible end' kind of pattern.

Thats something that was said that I always found amusing!

How many managers in the world don't follow that pattern?

Alex Ferguson and Arsene Wenger are the only 2 I can think of right now!

Ranieri didn't too bad, sometimes it's just time to move on.

But McLeish's teams just appeared to get worse and worse.

Yet it was his final team who did the unthinkable and get into the last 16 of the CL?

Yet it was his final team who did the unthinkable and get into the last 16 of the CL?

Ok, now before reading this understand that I don't mean to dilute or achievements, but...

Did you SEE the Porto game in Bratislava v Artmedia? They had 3 shots that were going into an empty goal that were stopped on the line due to the pitch being a bog! McLeish was very very lucky that year, and were we not only like the 2nd team ever to qualify with only 7 points?

Ok, now before reading this understand that I don't mean to dilute or achievements, but...

Did you SEE the Porto game in Bratislava v Artmedia? They had 3 shots that were going into an empty goal that were stopped on the line due to the pitch being a bog! McLeish was very very lucky that year, and were we not only like the 2nd team ever to qualify with only 7 points?

I know thank God for the weather! :classier_than_pipeguy: