Peter martin in tonight's Times about Rangers

minstral

Rangers have to step up a gear

I CAN'T see Rangers winning the title if they continue to perform the way they did on Tuesday night in the 3-3 draw with Dundee United at Ibrox.

I know it, you know it and so does manager Walter Smith.

After the game, I asked him if he could afford too many more points dropped and the wise one' suggested there was a long way to go and no one could be certain of the twists and turns ahead.

He's right, but if the statistics of the last few years are anything to go by, Celtic won't be losing too many games and Rangers can't afford to either.

Walter's team need to learn to kill the opposition off, while still keeping the back door bolted. On the evidence of Tuesday's game they couldn't do it.

The big problem, for me, is the weak backline, which can be got at.

The keeper, Allan McGregor is living off last season's performances, because this campaign he's looked decidedly dodgy.

The draw with a poor Aberdeen team, a defeat to St Mirren and two points dropped to United on Tuesday, has prompted midfielder Kevin Thomson to acknowledge the starting XI's inability to defend.

There's a big test ahead this month with Kilmarnock, Motherwell, St Mirren, Aberdeen and Hearts on the horizon. Fifteen points on offer and their great rivals also have an extra fixture, away to Aalborg in the Champions League. Will that be an advantage to Rangers?

The Ibrox outfit were three points clear of Celtic with four games played and an Old Firm win already in the bag at the end of August.

Now, at the beginning of November, they find themselves trailing Celtic by two points after 11 games gone.

Championship form? I don't think so.

The performance on Tuesday would have won a game 9 times out of 10. I read a Dundee United player in the paper today saying they played really well and that they should have won it. Utter pish, we were the best team by far, but did not get the breaks the performance merited.

WE did well in putting three past them, but our defending was atrocious. Gk, and the back four.

The draw with the poor Aberdeen team that was blatant cheating by a corrupt linesman.

But Maguire uses his column to have another go at us, instead of asking these more important questions, or analysing why his beloved attack-minded hoops played a 7-3-0 formation last night at home. I do recall him slating our 4-5-1 last season and telling us his beloved hoops would never stoop to such tactics.

The draw with the poor Aberdeen team that was blatant cheating by a corrupt linesman.

But Maguire uses his column to have another go at us, instead of asking these more important questions, or analysing why his beloved attack-minded hoops played a 7-3-0 formation last night at home. I do recall him slating our 4-5-1 last season and telling us his beloved hoops would never stoop to such tactics.

most of the other journos and radio pundits dont have much time for him cause hes an arselicker of the highest order

He,s correct in what he,s saying ave been asking the same question have we got what it take?????????

The dropped points could and may be should have been won, but the manks have been getting a lot of breaks off the refs,and thats not being paroniod

they must surely dry up,they say things even themselves out so the law of averages must turn against them sometime. Watched the Dundee Utd. on RTV

and to be honest a still cant believe we didnt win that one,we can win the league but time will tell.

He,s correct in what he,s saying ave been asking the same question have we got what it take?????????

The dropped points could and may be should have been won, but the manks have been getting a lot of breaks off the refs,and thats not being paroniod

they must surely dry up,they say things even themselves out so the law of averages must turn against them sometime. Watched the Dundee Utd. on RTV

and to be honest a still cant believe we didnt win that one,we can win the league but time will tell.

lets face it no league trophy back to sq.1 new manager and more rebuilding,we def need that flag.

"Walter's team need to learn to kill the opposition off, while still keeping the back door bolted. On the evidence of Tuesday's game they couldn't do it."

So what about Saturdays evidence?

5-0 up at half time?

Was that not killing someone off and keeping the back door bolted?

Unfortunately, he could well be correct. Even beating them 4 times may not make up for the points we always drop against the poorer teams, which was the difference last season. The basic attitude to kill teams off and score as many goals as possible is rarely seen in our make up while they take pleasure in hammering the poorer teams.

Sadly, I do not see them dropping more points to other teams than we tend to do, so it is up to the team to get the correct attitude every game.

Rangers have to step up a gear

I CAN'T see Rangers winning the title if they continue to perform the way they did on Tuesday night in the 3-3 draw with Dundee United at Ibrox.

I know it, you know it and so does manager Walter Smith.

After the game, I asked him if he could afford too many more points dropped and the wise one' suggested there was a long way to go and no one could be certain of the twists and turns ahead.

He's right, but if the statistics of the last few years are anything to go by, Celtic won't be losing too many games and Rangers can't afford to either.

Walter's team need to learn to kill the opposition off, while still keeping the back door bolted. On the evidence of Tuesday's game they couldn't do it.

The big problem, for me, is the weak backline, which can be got at.

The keeper, Allan McGregor is living off last season's performances, because this campaign he's looked decidedly dodgy.

The draw with a poor Aberdeen team, a defeat to St Mirren and two points dropped to United on Tuesday, has prompted midfielder Kevin Thomson to acknowledge the starting XI's inability to defend.

There's a big test ahead this month with Kilmarnock, Motherwell, St Mirren, Aberdeen and Hearts on the horizon. Fifteen points on offer and their great rivals also have an extra fixture, away to Aalborg in the Champions League. Will that be an advantage to Rangers?

The Ibrox outfit were three points clear of Celtic with four games played and an Old Firm win already in the bag at the end of August.

Now, at the beginning of November, they find themselves trailing Celtic by two points after 11 games gone.

Championship form? I don't think so.

He has a point. We can't afford to drop points anymore. I think first priority in January has to be a CB.

"Walter's team need to learn to kill the opposition off, while still keeping the back door bolted. On the evidence of Tuesday's game they couldn't do it."

5-0 up at half time?

What about the other matches where we have failed to - games that have seen us draw and even lose. Even when we don't kill teams off it puts us under a lot of pressure, especially when teams go ahead of draw level.

This was the same Peter Martin who said Rangers would get a doing off Celtic last time aye. The cunt knows nothing and after his Old Firm prediction i've not had the time of day for the prick.

We don't need this clown telling us what we need and what we don't. Go back and read what he said about the first OF match of the season and how it'd turn out. Thats how much this cunt knows. Fuck all.

Get Alexander back in goals. Steady the ship. Rack up the points. Simple.

We actually played really well against Dundee Utd and its being blown out of proportion. Dundee Utd always give us a game. Give them some credit. We made the chances and our defense had a shoogly night. We didn't lose the title against Dundee Utd ay home on Tuesday. If the league comes down to being lost by 2 points, i'll be more upset at losing to St Mirren or the Aberdeen game where we got done out of 2 points.

5-0 up at half time?

What about the other matches where we have failed to - games that have seen us draw and even lose. Even when we don't kill teams off it puts us under a lot of pressure, especially when teams go ahead of draw level.

Exactly, we let motherwell back in with a late goal at ibrox earlier in the season, we let killie go ahead, we never looked like scoring against st mirren until they were trying to hold on to their lead, and then we concede 3 goals to dundee utd, not to mention letting a poor aberdeen side back in the game... the warning signs have been there, yet we have come up with the goods against hibs, celtic, hearts...

And to top it all off, if ever there was a team to play, more desperate to beat us at rugby park for the first time in god knows how long, we have them on sunday... celtic play motherwell at home, which we should assume will be maximum points, so we need to keep up the pressure and just keep winning

Journalism shocker! say title challenger is struggling after a draw at home - the same team that has just went nigh on a calendar year with win after win!

Said journo couldn't be a supporter of said teams rival could it???

I'll reserve my own opinion to be based on opinion of those who for one don't take every directive from Rome (which he obviously does due to his name change because he felt he would be discriminated against - where do they get this idea?) and second his opinions are aired on a radio station frequented by yahoos, wahoos and damn right sca-hoos!

Hardly in the realms of objective scrutiny is he?

5-0 up at half time?

And therein lies the problem. One minute we can do it, next we can't.