David Murray: A look back 20 years ago

Columbo

How would you rate David Murray as a chairman?  

131 members have voted

1. 1. Good, bad, mediocre?

• A fantastic Chairman who made little to no mistakes
    • Overall good but made a few mistakes
    • Average
    • Poor Chairman but could have done worse
    • An absolute disgrace.

David Murray has had an interesting time in the last 20 years since buying the club for £6 million. He was the Chairman in charge when we won 9 in a row, got to a European final and got this club back on track. On the other hand was he not him that hired Le Guen? That has failed to fund our club properly since the end of Dick Advocaat's reign and some say it's his fault Celtic have won more titles since the start of the millenium.

Now, if you ask me David Murray has overall done a good job. Yes he made some faults but don't all chairman? He set up Murray Park, he's hired genreally good managers and he's let them get on with the job. He gave massive amounts of money to managers before 2000 which led to some of the best football ever seen at Ibrox and we're starting to see some good stuff return now. If you ask me some of his biggest mistakes have been to give too much money and to make promises like we'll keep Cuellar only to see him leave days later but on the whole he's done more good than bad at Ibrox.

Thoughts? :rangers:

Started off good, bought big with the promise of little returns...

you'd think a multi-millionaire could of seen that one coming back to bite us?

Plus a spineless coward, who has allowed the majority club in Scotland, to be attacked by immigrant minorities

Basically a fud

The simple fact is we were good when the other mob were utter shite and he takes the credit for it so you could say only half of his time has been good for us and thats when they were shite

Fact !!!! <_<

when were they shite did gers not win 2 titles when father ted oneill was in charge and he could walk on water you know

No-one was complaining when he was writing cheque after cheque keeping us on top in Scotland, chasing the Euro dream. Ironically that almost came at the end of a period of 'belt-tightening'. He should have quit and stayed quit in 2002(?) and let someone else take us forward instead of the treading water that we have been doing since Dick Advocaat left us.

No-one was complaining when he was writing cheque after cheque keeping us on top in Scotland, chasing the Euro dream. Ironically that almost came at the end of a period of 'belt-tightening'. He should have quit and stayed quit in 2002(?) and let someone else take us forward instead of the treading water that we have been doing since Dick Advocaat left us.

We were ten years ahead of the scum but he let them back in and that was after they were minutes from going into liquidation, utterly shocking !!

Started off good, bought big with the promise of little returns...

you'd think a multi-millionaire could of seen that one coming back to bite us?

Plus a spineless coward, who has allowed the majority club in Scotland, to be attacked by immigrant minorities

Basically a fud

Could you make your post any more racist. (td)

The simple fact is we were good when the other mob were utter shite and he takes the credit for it so you could say only half of his time has been good for us and thats when they were shite

Fact !!!! <_<

1989, 90 and 91 - then celtc were pish and in trouble in 92, 93 and 94, 1995 McCann injected additional finance and oversaw an extensive redevelopment of celtc park. They were hardly in trouble in 96, 97, 99, 00, 03, 05 - we also won the double when celtc only lost once or twice all season and the season they made a European Final, we won the treble!

He's not perfect but who is? In my opinion he is overall a good chairman. It's unfortunte that his loyalty (which i'm sure we would all see as a great quality if WE worked for him!) has at times led to him hanging on to people past their sell by date and yes he is full of bluster at times but so what? I'd prefer him to some of the other chairmans in football.

Apart from anything else celtic hate him because he's rich, he's a tory, he's a knighted by our queen and they know he thinks they are scum!

started off brilliantly, we were in raptures, but IMHO opinion he never was one of us, sure to his credit he supplied plenty of funds till he couldn't afford any more, but he also got his share back out, my real problem with him is he never really stood in our corner and fought the good fight, my dad always taught me, if someone bullies you, well you better fight back or you'll be sorry,well i've had a few bloddy noses but Ive also dished out a few, and guess what? the bullies picked on someone else, but SDM decided that Rangers would maintain a dignified silence to our snipers, well look at our club now, the chip chip chipping at the dam has turned a trickle of abuse into a full flood, say what you like about that other lot [ and I fucking hate them] but they take no shite from their detractors. John Lawrence was a dignfied gentleman but he would never have tollerated the shite we are having to put up with now

The rot started for me when he hired Herr Hood as head of security and almost overnight turned Ibrox into a morgue, with the assistance of rock steady security we were scared to open our mouths [can't have those working class louts sullying the ears of our corporate sponsors can we] FFS he even told us we can't fly our banners at one point.

Now we have the likes of speirs, traynor, ett all allowed to walk our hallowed halls all the while attacking us with impunity,it just makes me fucking sick to my back teeth.

I just feel so sorry for the young 'bears' nowadays, living in Canada I don't get back home often enough, but when I do I usually get to a couple of games with my son and brothers, first time I took the boy he was in awe at the place, and I allowed myself a little smile at the look on his face, then a sadness clouded me as I thought to myself, god son I wish you could have seen this place in it's hayday when the place was jumping on a regular basis.

I wish he could hand the club over to someone who is either one of us or who will fight for us, in conclusion what do I think of Murry's tenure, 'could have done better

started off brilliantly, we were in raptures, but IMHO opinion he never was one of us, sure to his credit he supplied plenty of funds till he couldn't afford any more, but he also got his share back out, my real problem with him is he never really stood in our corner and fought the good fight, my dad always taught me, if someone bullies you, well you better fight back or you'll be sorry,well i've had a few bloddy noses but Ive also dished out a few, and guess what? the bullies picked on someone else, but SDM decided that Rangers would maintain a dignified silence to our snipers, well look at our club now, the chip chip chipping at the dam has turned a trickle of abuse into a full flood, say what you like about that other lot [ and I fucking hate them] but they take no shite from their detractors. John Lawrence was a dignfied gentleman but he would never have tollerated the shite we are having to put up with now

The rot started for me when he hired Herr Hood as head of security and almost overnight turned Ibrox into a morgue, with the assistance of rock steady security we were scared to open our mouths [can't have those working class louts sullying the ears of our corporate sponsors can we] FFS he even told us we can't fly our banners at one point.

Now we have the likes of speirs, traynor, ett all allowed to walk our hallowed halls all the while attacking us with impunity,it just makes me fucking sick to my back teeth.

I just feel so sorry for the young 'bears' nowadays, living in Canada I don't get back home often enough, but when I do I usually get to a couple of games with my son and brothers, first time I took the boy he was in awe at the place, and I allowed myself a little smile at the look on his face, then a sadness clouded me as I thought to myself, god son I wish you could have seen this place in it's hayday when the place was jumping on a regular basis.

I wish he could hand the club over to someone who is either one of us or who will fight for us, in conclusion what do I think of Murry's tenure, 'could have done better

haha!! just read his attack on Reid,oh well it only took him 20yrs. and a wee tellin' aff fae me :D wonder if I should have a word in his ear re: TBB & TFS :D:D

Without Murray, I don't think we would have won 9-in-a-row. He splashed the cash when Dick came and while it seemed good at the time, it wasn't in the long run. We've seen some real quality come to Ibrox in his era, Gazza, Laudrup, Van Bronkhurst (sp?), Mols, Klos, Numan and theres more.

But he has often let the club take a hammering in the press and said a lot of pish at times, which is embarrassing.

Good overall.

Our most successful chairman in history is surely our best chairman ever? Cause thats what counts. Winning trophies. And he's won at least 20+ trophies while he's been chairman.

But I reckon we need a change. It's time to move on and get some new investment in the club. Murray has took us as far as he ever will.

Glad majority are picking second option. although some of his action of late have been questionable.... people seem to have short memories, the man has done a great job for rangers over last 20years. Look around at the state of other clubs with thier chairmain problems. we should be gratefull for what we have, it could be a lot worse!

Started out brilliantly - brought in great players and made the club into a real force. Brilliant times.

But like most people who do well intially he carried on too long and tarnished it.

My dad once said about the Rolling Stones - when they were brilliant they were really brilliant, but why are they still hanging around when they should be enjoying their retirement ?

Same thing with Murray - gave us a great 10 years but should have stayed retired.

Thank you for the memories SDM. I don`t think it is fair to blame the ills of society on his shoulders. Get used to folks, it is a changing world, P.C is here to stay. SDM is only acting in the intrests of the club, R.F.C has to change with the times too.

Sometimes it is better to have a dignified silence.