Not only the manager but the captaincy has to change

Tontospal

I've never rated Ferguson as a Rangers captain and for me he has to be replaced,

How can he justify retaining the captaincy when we are on course to lose 4 titles in a row to that shower of crap?

We need strong leadership on and off the pitch and I see neither.

In the early eck years he was the best captain we'd had for a long time. i agree he should be replaced now though

I've never rated Ferguson as a Rangers captain and for me he has to be replaced,

How can he justify retaining the captaincy when we are on course to lose 4 titles in a row to that shower of crap?

ferguson is never a captain so overrated

In the early eck years he was the best captain we'd had for a long time. i agree he should be replaced now though

I agree that was his best spell as captain but for me he simply doesn't come close to the likes of Greig, Butcher or Gough when they held the position.

Even though Greig was captain during their 9 in a row era he was a real leader in a difficult time for Rangers and even had the respect of their fans. I don't think comparisons can be drawn with Ferguson and losing 4 in a row.

The saddest thing is we don't have a ready made replacement.

I want a captain who inspires all of the players and the support and leads by example. But we just don't have anyone who fits the bill.

When you think back we've always had teams that had 3 or 4 natural leaders on the pitch but those days seem long gone now.

Make Mendes captain. He has the respect and the experience.

The respect of who, the fans?

A captain really has nothing to do with the fans, it is who the players and management feel has the power to lead.

(tu)

Say we replace Fergie as captain, and replace him with Mendes, or Davis, or whoever else, what does that accomplish? Do some of you really think that today would have been a 3-0 victory if Mendes was captain? Changing the captain does nothing to solve the problems regarding the tactics and team selection.

Guest The Brown Brogue

I think Ferguson being captain contributes to his perceived undroppable-ness by Smith.

A captain needs to lead by example and not jump on the backs of his teammates for the slightest mistake, or for simply not passing to him every time, as Ferguson does.

Were he not captain I think it would be a lot easier and cause a lot less fuss to just 'rest' him for a few games and let Davis play in his natural position.

And isn't Davis captain of his country as well?

We were coping fine enough without him until he came back. Smith should have left the armband with Weir and just said to Barry "You concentrate on your own game and let Davie do the leading until you are sorted" Or would Barry not allow that?

Guest The Brown Brogue
We were coping fine enough without him until he came back. Smith should have left the armband with Weir and just said to Barry "You concentrate on your own game and let Davie do the leading until you are sorted" Or would Barry not allow that?

Its simple, if Ferguson wants to play he plays, and if he plays he is captain. No-one would EVER be allowed to take that armband off him whilst he was still on the pitch.

Make Mendes captain. He has the respect and the experience.

The respect of who, the fans?

A captain really has nothing to do with the fans, it is who the players and management feel has the power to lead.

The respect of everyone, players and fans, for all that he has achieved in the game, plus his undoubted skill and effort.