Battle Of Britain

ZeGowse

Was watching the gers against leeds utd on RTV 2nite when we beat them 2-1. Was great to see Durranty getting stuck right in about Strapon :rangers: Ohhh the memories!!!!

Aye, brilliant games, i was at both1 was the year I moved to england

I don’t know why, but our victory over Leeds United in the Champions League qualifiers in 1992, still qualifies for me, as one of our club’s greatest moments during my lifetime. Perhaps it was the build up, the “Battle of Britain” thing...I don’t know...but I will never forget the enormous sense of pride and joy following these games. To me every player in a blue shirt was an absolute hero.

This is their story.

The 1992 “Battle of “Britain” was the tie that nearly never happened. While Rangers had disposed of Lyngby of Denmark in the first round, they had to wait to see who their opponents would be. The Stuggart vs Leeds tie had seen the Germans field an ineligible player causing UEFA to intervene and order a play off in Barcelona which the English Champions eventually won 2-1.

And so the scene was set for a mouth watering Battle of Britain. The champions of Scotland against the champions of England. Leeds with the craft and industry of Gordon Strachan and Gary McCallister in midfield, and the Gallic flair of Eric Cantona in attack, were the bookies favourites.

If ever a tie was to justify the term of the crowd being a 12th man...then was surely it. The contrast between the 2 sets of supporters in the face of adversity was black and white, and perhaps a contributing factor in the tie overall. For security reasons tickets were allocated to home supporters only at both legs.

As always the English press viewed the tie as something of a formality. They were soon to be eating large helpings of humble pie, and in fact, found themselves going back for seconds in true Oliver Twist style.

The first tie was at Ibrox on the 21st October, 1992. The atmosphere was electric, the media coverage contributing to the sense of occasion. The Rangers supporters created a cacophony of sound to welcome the southern visitors. Ibrox was rocking before kick off. But any hopes that the southern visitors would be intimidated by the volume of the home support were quickly dispelled early in the match when a Gary McCallister thunderbolt put the visitors a goal up. It seemed that the predictions of the English press were going to be realised.

But the silence of the Ibrox faithful was short lived. Soon their belief in their team was echoing again round Ibrox as they willed their team on. And the men in light blue responded. Wave after wave of blue descended on the Leeds United goal as an ever increasing expectancy grew amongst the Ibrox faithful.

That faithfulness was rewarded when the Leeds goal keeper, John Lukic, failed to deal with an Ian Durrant corner, punching the ball into his own net, sending the Ibrox legions into raptures. And there was to be more misery for Lukic shortly after again from a corner. A shot from big Dave McPherson could only be parried out to Rangers goal king, Ally McCoist, who quickly dispatched the ball into the net. Ibrox erupted.

2-1 to Rangers and thats how the first leg finished.

Despite the setback the English media were confident of victory at Elland Road and Rangers assistant manager Archie Knox, used their over confidence as a motivator, leaving newspapers clippings in the Rangers dressing room in the run up to the second leg.

On November 4th 1992, the second leg of the tie kicked off at Elland Road. To the whole of a watching Britain it must have seemed that fireworks night had come a day early as a Mark Hately rocket in the opening minutes thundered into the Leeds United net putting Rangers further ahead in the tie. Suddenly the impossible seemed more of a reality.

The Leeds United fans appeared stunned, what they had thought was going to be a formality suddenly turned into a mountain to climb. While they continued to back their team it was never with the same passion or belief as the Rangers support had backed their team at Ibrox. And any lingering doubts anyone south of the border had about Scottish goalkeepers was finally put to the sword as Andy Goram produced a string of outstanding saves to further frustrate Leeds.

Into the second half and Rangers were edging closer to the unthinkable. And amidst all the Leeds pressure Rangers launched the classic sucker punch counter attack. Ian Durrant released Mark Hateley who broke down the right. He hit a perfect cross into the Leeds penalty box for the incoming Ally McCoist to steer uncharacteristically with his head past the helpless Lukic.

It was over. Despite a late goal by Leeds, nothing could take away from the quality of the Rangers performance or the outstanding character and determination of every man in a blue shirt. Rangers were the “unofficial” champions of Britain.

Despite the supporters ban that night the Rangers players left the field to a standing ovation from the Leeds United fans.

I don’t know why, but our victory over Leeds United in the Champions League qualifiers in 1992, still qualifies for me, as one of our club’s greatest moments during my lifetime. Perhaps it was the build up, the “Battle of Britain” thing...I don’t know...but I will never forget the enormous sense of pride and joy following these games. To me every player in a blue shirt was an absolute hero.

This is their story.

The 1992 “Battle of “Britain” was the tie that nearly never happened. While Rangers had disposed of Lyngby of Denmark in the first round, they had to wait to see who their opponents would be. The Stuggart vs Leeds tie had seen the Germans field an ineligible player causing UEFA to intervene and order a play off in Barcelona which the English Champions eventually won 2-1.

And so the scene was set for a mouth watering Battle of Britain. The champions of Scotland against the champions of England. Leeds with the craft and industry of Gordon Strachan and Gary McCallister in midfield, and the Gallic flair of Eric Cantona in attack, were the bookies favourites.

If ever a tie was to justify the term of the crowd being a 12th man...then was surely it. The contrast between the 2 sets of supporters in the face of adversity was black and white, and perhaps a contributing factor in the tie overall. For security reasons tickets were allocated to home supporters only at both legs.

As always the English press viewed the tie as something of a formality. They were soon to be eating large helpings of humble pie, and in fact, found themselves going back for seconds in true Oliver Twist style.

The first tie was at Ibrox on the 21st October, 1992. The atmosphere was electric, the media coverage contributing to the sense of occasion. The Rangers supporters created a cacophony of sound to welcome the southern visitors. Ibrox was rocking before kick off. But any hopes that the southern visitors would be intimidated by the volume of the home support were quickly dispelled early in the match when a Gary McCallister thunderbolt put the visitors a goal up. It seemed that the predictions of the English press were going to be realised.

But the silence of the Ibrox faithful was short lived. Soon their belief in their team was echoing again round Ibrox as they willed their team on. And the men in light blue responded. Wave after wave of blue descended on the Leeds United goal as an ever increasing expectancy grew amongst the Ibrox faithful.

That faithfulness was rewarded when the Leeds goal keeper, John Lukic, failed to deal with an Ian Durrant corner, punching the ball into his own net, sending the Ibrox legions into raptures. And there was to be more misery for Lukic shortly after again from a corner. A shot from big Dave McPherson could only be parried out to Rangers goal king, Ally McCoist, who quickly dispatched the ball into the net. Ibrox erupted.

Despite the setback the English media were confident of victory at Elland Road and Rangers assistant manager Archie Knox, used their over confidence as a motivator, leaving newspapers clippings in the Rangers dressing room in the run up to the second leg.

On November 4th 1992, the second leg of the tie kicked off at Elland Road. To the whole of a watching Britain it must have seemed that fireworks night had come a day early as a Mark Hately rocket in the opening minutes thundered into the Leeds United net putting Rangers further ahead in the tie. Suddenly the impossible seemed more of a reality.

The Leeds United fans appeared stunned, what they had thought was going to be a formality suddenly turned into a mountain to climb. While they continued to back their team it was never with the same passion or belief as the Rangers support had backed their team at Ibrox. And any lingering doubts anyone south of the border had about Scottish goalkeepers was finally put to the sword as Andy Goram produced a string of outstanding saves to further frustrate Leeds.

Into the second half and Rangers were edging closer to the unthinkable. And amidst all the Leeds pressure Rangers launched the classic sucker punch counter attack. Ian Durrant released Mark Hateley who broke down the right. He hit a perfect cross into the Leeds penalty box for the incoming Ally McCoist to steer uncharacteristically with his head past the helpless Lukic.

It was over. Despite a late goal by Leeds, nothing could take away from the quality of the Rangers performance or the outstanding character and determination of every man in a blue shirt. Rangers were the “unofficial” champions of Britain.

Despite the supporters ban that night the Rangers players left the field to a standing ovation from the Leeds United fans.

good post dart. (tu)

Mark Hateley who broke down the right

The left surely? :craphead: I'm not trying to be a smart arse, just such a vivid memory because it was a great night and a fantastic goal.

YouTube Vid

It was the left....Im getting old !

Goal No. 29 of the season for McCoist and it was early November. Superb! I really like how pissed off Brian Moore sounds throughout. In 20 years of following Rangers, that's up there as a contender for the happiest moment for me.

Me too GR - Loved the commentary on the video - Ron Atkinson says "Rangers are toying with Leeds" :D

I actually spent a couple of hours Knocking back rum and cokes with Atkinson, and a couple of his West Brom players,in a night club in Bournemouth back

in the late 70's. He really knew his football, English and Scottish league's, seem to know them inside out. Also a big Rangers man.He really impressed me. (tu)

This is their story.

and the gers fans who got tickets thru blackmarket ;)(tu)

This is their story.

and the gers fans who got tickets thru blackmarket ;)(tu)

:craphead: I traded mine hha, took a kid from Leeds up to Ibrox, and, he took me to ER, good kid, I still know him