Stars to shine in 2009

Muff

DANNY WILSON: RANGERS, 18

A left-sided defender who impresses me greatly, Danny is working his way through the ranks at Murray Park. He has a good range of passing and is strong in the air and solid in the tackle. He still has a lot to learn but I believe he can make an impact at Rangers which is no easy feat for any young player. Danny is another whose progress could be rapid if he continues to work hard.

JAMIE NESS: RANGERS, 18

A modern-day midfielder with a terrific engine and physique. There are very few players of his age who get close to opponents and press them as well as Jamie. What also marks him out is his ability to use the ball wisely and he has a great chance of making a breakthrough at Rangers. Technically a very good player and he has all he needs go to the top.

JOHN FLECK: RANGERS, 17

A name that has been around Scottish football for a few years now thanks to his meteoric progress through the Rangers youth system, although John has never allowed the attention to get to him. He has an explosive ability and a desire to go all the way in the game. He's a kid who knows when to play the ball and when to pass first time and that's the mark of a special player. John knows he doesn't need to do something outstanding every time he has possession but he's more than capable of producing something special on the big occasions. Strong, quick and skilful with an intelligence and game knowledge rare in someone of his age.

http://www.<No links to this website>/sport/2009/01...86908-21009915/

I thought Danny Wilson was younger than that? Anyway he's a cracking young player and hopefully he continues to improve and get's his chance.

Jamie Ness has the potential to be better than Kevin Thomson. He's athletic and pretty physical and like Stark say's - technically he's very good. I thought he was younger aswell? He's a player who should be pushing for a 1st team place!

And we all know about John Fleck! He should have featured in the 1st team more but that's Walter Smith for you.

I've never seen any U19's play except Archie Campbell. Is there any there others that have the ability to make it to the first team ?

Yes :mutley:

Defenders, I'd like to see William McLachlan make it, don't know if he will be good enough, Steve Kinniburgh and Ross Perry should if given a chance.

Midfielders, not actually sure of age, but apart from Fleck (obvious he should), Shinnie, Efrem, and Stirling.

Strikers, Loy, Campbell, Bagci and Hemmings.

Goalies I'm not sure about but Vaiculis looks an excellent prospect.

Other people might have different ideas etc blah blah blah

A left-sided defender who impresses me greatly, Danny is working his way through the ranks at Murray Park. He has a good range of passing and is strong in the air and solid in the tackle. He still has a lot to learn but I believe he can make an impact at Rangers which is no easy feat for any young player. Danny is another whose progress could be rapid if he continues to work hard.

A modern-day midfielder with a terrific engine and physique. There are very few players of his age who get close to opponents and press them as well as Jamie. What also marks him out is his ability to use the ball wisely and he has a great chance of making a breakthrough at Rangers. Technically a very good player and he has all he needs go to the top.

A name that has been around Scottish football for a few years now thanks to his meteoric progress through the Rangers youth system, although John has never allowed the attention to get to him. He has an explosive ability and a desire to go all the way in the game. He's a kid who knows when to play the ball and when to pass first time and that's the mark of a special player. John knows he doesn't need to do something outstanding every time he has possession but he's more than capable of producing something special on the big occasions. Strong, quick and skilful with an intelligence and game knowledge rare in someone of his age.

I thought Danny Wilson was younger than that? Anyway he's a cracking young player and hopefully he continues to improve and get's his chance.

Jamie Ness has the potential to be better than Kevin Thomson. He's athletic and pretty physical and like Stark say's - technically he's very good. I thought he was younger aswell? He's a player who should be pushing for a 1st team place!

And we all know about John Fleck! He should have featured in the 1st team more but that's Walter Smith for you.

TBH I don't rate Ness that highly.

Danny Wilson was one of the players that would be annoyed when McCulloch is playing CB.

Fleck well the sky the limit for him, just wish we would give him more of a chance.

In other SPL teams and in fact other teams outside Rangers most of them would have probably had first team action.

Thats pretty true, but, there is more pressure and expectation at Rangers, sadly we arent patient enough to accept defeats which may happen playing kids. Win the title tho, and maybe some will chill out enough to cope with it?

at 17 or 18 most kids with any abitlity are getting a chance at their clubs - wilshere at arsenal, rafael at man utd, bojan at barcelona. people might say these kids are outstanding and rangers youths won't be this good but these guys are also playing at a higher level. surely we can give ness, fleck etc a chance at spl level? why have people like dailly and 'big lee' in squads ahead of talented youngsters? wally summed it up when he described loy as a 'young player' - he's 21 or 22.

so long as wally is in charge we will never, ever see young players be given an opportunity at rangers.

Thanks for posting, I'm not able to really read up or watch anything on the youth squads at Rangers so I have to rely on you guys to fill me in! I'm surprised these guys never get a run out in cup games or in games against Hamilton/ICT. And with all the problems on the left side, surely Fleck would at least merit a look?

IF this season is a write off which some believe it to be Fleck etc MUST be introduced

It could be THE masterstroke of this decade if we have the BOLLOCKS to stand by the intitial pain (this season) and see it through

Thoughts?

In other SPL teams and in fact other teams outside Rangers most of them would have probably had first team action.

Thats pretty true, but, there is more pressure and expectation at Rangers, sadly we arent patient enough to accept defeats which may happen playing kids. Win the title tho, and maybe some will chill out enough to cope with it?

We don't want to see a team filled with kids.

For example, if we played McMillan and Aaron ahead of Broadfoot and Adam, would it really harm the team? I think it would actually make us stronger. You only get inconsistency with a team full of youngsters but if we played a couple within an experienced team then it would give us a good balance of youth and experience.

Can't wait until they are in their late twenties, and Walter eventually lets them on the bench... if we've still got a fooking club that is!

That lad Andrew Little looks good but have to say when he plays up front not defence

yeah funny one him, he doesn't seem to have found his ideal position yet, I'm sure I've also seen him play as a left midfielder?

Im sure they just had him playing in defence to get him a bit of strength.

He fast as hell too. Another one i think, albeit with a few more years, will do very well.

That lad Andrew Little looks good but have to say when he plays up front not defence

yeah funny one him, he doesn't seem to have found his ideal position yet, I'm sure I've also seen him play as a left midfielder?

Can't really agree with that to be honest. They play Little in so many places because he doesn't fit in anywhere. One of the most inconsistent left backs i've ever seen, and he's only a half decent striker. He won't last long for us.

I suppose we've went from U19s to talking about the reserve squad too, so i'll just say that outwit the usuals who get mentioned, Andrew Shinnie is the best prospect we have at the club. Anyone got any reports about how he's doing at Dundee?

We don't want to see a team filled with kids.

For example, if we played McMillan and Aaron ahead of Broadfoot and Adam, would it really harm the team? I think it would actually make us stronger. You only get inconsistency with a team full of youngsters but if we played a couple within an experienced team then it would give us a good balance of youth and experience.

Muff has said time and time again, and I agree with him, McMillan should be given a run out at right back over Whittaker and Broadfoot, at least we'll get a chance to see how he can do during his loan spell at Hamilton, but totally agree with your sentiments, and you could drop Ferguson and play Fleck instead as we have the experience of Mendes and Davis there in the middle of the park. When Fleck did get a run out last season he didn't look out of place playing with the seniors.