Kirk Broadfoot is a terrible footballer

Danny

I'm not sure - you're suggesting many of our players just don't try - and I don't think I can agree with that.

Because for sheer effort Broadfoot does no more than Papac, Weir, Bougherra, Davis, Naismith, Novo or Miller. The only players who seem a little less 'whole hearted' at times are probably Ferguson, Mendes and Boyd. And even then I'm possibly being harsh.

But somehow this effort attribute is always used as a get out of jail card in his case.

Our team just isn't very good. Effort last season was used as our major key word while we slagged the appalling workman like football - this season we want more of it?

I'm very confused by what we as fans want, because whatever we get, it's always missing something else it seems.

Where did I say 'many players don't try'? I only said more players should show the same kind of work rate and application Broadfoot does - his attitude to training last summer is a good example of that. You only named 7 or 8 players who perhaps get pass marks for industry.

That's not enough and it shows in many games - especially in midfield which I specified. I also said hard work doesn't make a player exempt from criticism.

The most frustrating thing for me is that I think we do have a good team. On occasion this season (and last) we have shown we can play against anyone and get a positive result. This season some of the football has been very good as well. Unfortunately, we just can't deliver that quality of performance/result consistently enough.

Is that because we have too many average players? Possibly but that's a team problem worth discussing as opposed to making threads claiming one individual player is terrible so is some sort of scapegoat. Just as one player shouldn't be absolved from responsibility because they have the odd spark which lights up our play.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Broadfoot is reasonable and made a decent contribution last season especially. He also started this season reasonably well but seems to have struggled more recently. Pointing out one bad mistake against Celtic doesn't make him a terrible footballer.

Could we do better? Definitely? Is he terrible? No, just average.

That says it all for me.(tu)

Broadfoot is not a terrible footballer just not a very good one. He tries hard along with a few others who are similar such as Whittaker, Weir, Papac, McCulloch, Adam, Miller, Novo, etc.

None of these players are good. Weir was but is past his best, but they all try hard. Novo may be more skillfull than the others though. Miller has pace but little else.

The truth is that Bougherra apart, we have no real decent defender just now. Just a bunch of very average players mainly out of position. Weir was very good but age is catching up fast.

Walter has gotten us into a weird position with such a large number of average and overrated players.

He is a terrible footballer, we shouldn't absolve him of that just because there are other terrible footballers in the team.

I personally think a lot of people defend him from sympathy - but that's not going to get us anywhere.

Where did I say 'many players don't try'? I only said more players should show the same kind of work rate and application Broadfoot does - his attitude to training last summer is a good example of that. You only named 7 or 8 players who perhaps get pass marks for industry.

Because he had a lot more to compensate for?

That's not enough and it shows in many games - especially in midfield which I specified. I also said hard work doesn't make a player exempt from criticism.

It's also a futile defence imo. It suggests fans could start because we'd try so hard too. Players need ability AND effort. Only the most exceptional cases of an abundance of the former can ever excuse a lack of the latter - but no amount of the latter can excuse a lack of the former.

Again, imo.

The most frustrating thing for me is that I think we do have a good team. On occasion this season (and last) we have shown we can play against anyone and get a positive result. This season some of the football has been very good as well. Unfortunately, we just can't deliver that quality of performance/result consistently enough.

Is that because we have too many average players? Possibly but that's a team problem worth discussing as opposed to making threads claiming one individual player is terrible so is some sort of scapegoat. Just as one player shouldn't be absolved from responsibility because they have the odd spark which lights up our play.

I didn't make him any kind of scapegoat - I've equally criticised many of our players this season. In fact, I don't think any of our first team players have escaped me chastising them in some way apart from Davis and Aaron.

But the facts remain that he is a terrible footballer by any stretch of the SPL imagination. To suggest otherwise is to be sympathetic to him, as another poster accurately points out. This is not blaming him for anything at all - indeed, he can only do what his abilities let him do, and he doesn't pick himself. He seems a nice bloke indeed, but simply terrible imo by relative measurement.

The amount of times I watch him struggle to control the ball, and struggle to regain it after losing it. If I'm wrong, and that's average then I really, really despair at what terrible is.

Because in most matches the rest of the team have played as poor if not poorer? Lay off him, Mendes etc. haven't exactly set the world on fire recently either.

Yes, because scoring GOTS contenders is distinctly average.

:mutley: to some, if its Mendes, no, if its Boyd or Adam, yes.

Double standards old boy. If he has a wank game for 89 minutes, then scores a good goal, then he has still had a wank game, in fact, last night, he was pretty wank haha

My take on Kirk is simple, he will not be the worst player we have while Adam and LM are still here, and adding to that, Broadfoot over Whittaker every time, and, in a very short amount of time, over Weir too.

Because in most matches the rest of the team have played as poor if not poorer? Lay off him, Mendes etc. haven't exactly set the world on fire recently either.

If he has a wank game for 89 minutes, then scores a good goal, then he has still had a wank game,

Strange to hear that from a Boyd fan, that'll go into the memory bank for the next Boyd debate, OL. :D

If he has a wank game for 89 minutes, then scores a good goal, then he has still had a wank game,

Strange to hear that from a Boyd fan, that'll go into the memory bank for the next Boyd debate, OL. :D

haha, same applies to Boyd mate, its a case of, "wank, but thank f*ck he scored" scenario, I guess the difference between a good performance, and, 3 points. Call me greedy, but, i take the 3 points every time. Why I would pick Boyd over Miller every time.

For Kirk, at the moment, i dont care how he plays if we have a clean sheet, or at the very least a win. Always confused how someone can slate a defender on the back of a clean sheet, as with a striker who scores say, a winning goal. Its simple as Job done. Damn my common sense haha

btw, Rangers fan, not Boyd fan ;)

Double standards old boy. If he has a wank game for 89 minutes, then scores a good goal, then he has still had a wank game, in fact, last night, he was pretty wank haha

I didn't say he wasn't. No double standards here - look at my post history - I'm one of the few around here capable of criticising Mendes. In fact, I was the first to notice him having a dip in form and got pelters for it. Back in October that was I think. But that goal against ICT did set the heather alight.

Didn't say his overall display did :)

I've also pointed out many failings in his game. I am not the world's biggest fan of Mendes though I do know what he can do when he gets it right.

I didn't say he wasn't. No double standards here - look at my post history - I'm one of the few around here capable of criticising Mendes. In fact, I was the first to notice him having a dip in form and got pelters for it. Back in October that was I think. But that goal against ICT did set the heather alight.

I've also pointed out many failings in his game. I am not the world's biggest fan of Mendes though I do know what he can do when he gets it right.

haha, I know mate, it was nt directed at you in particular, hence the "some". It was too good an opportunity tho, I had to say it

haha, I know mate, it was nt directed at you in particular, hence the "some". It was too good an opportunity tho, I had to say it

Filthy lies, you were targetting and bullying me :(

Well I have to disagree wholeheartedly with this.

I dont think Big Kirk is the most graceful player we have ever seen at Ibrox...but I would remind you all that he continually being played out of position at right back - yet ask any bear I think I would rather see Kirk at right back than Whittaker.

The criticism of him at the MacDonald goal is accurate but I would question whether it is justified. Can we expect him to develop as a CB when he is continually played out of position ? Remind me how many games he played there this season before he was drafted in there for our most important game of the season. Is that his fault ?

He is so "terrible" that he has established himself as a Scottish internationalist.

He gets on with the job and gives 100% effort - I wish the same could be said for some of other squad.

he is truly shocking. there has been some bad players over the years but he is imo by far the worst. whittiker has twice the ability.

Would be nice if he showed it occasionally.

But Broadfoot is so poor, no getting away from it. The fact that he's not the worst player in the team after we've spent £30m on it speaks volumes about how fucking ridiculously poor Smith's record in the transfer market has been.

I often feel bad for Broadfoot. He can have an otherwise decent game but make one mistake, and be slated for it, but other strikers (naming no names ;)) can have a woeful game, get one touch right, get the ball in the net, and receive ridiculous praise for it.

Sadly this doesn't hide the fact that he's not good enough, although as previous posters have mentioned, many in the squad could learn from his dedication and hard work.

Well I have to disagree wholeheartedly with this.

I dont think Big Kirk is the most graceful player we have ever seen at Ibrox...but I would remind you all that he continually being played out of position at right back - yet ask any bear I think I would rather see Kirk at right back than Whittaker.

The criticism of him at the MacDonald goal is accurate but I would question whether it is justified. Can we expect him to develop as a CB when he is continually played out of position ? Remind me how many games he played there this season before he was drafted in there for our most important game of the season. Is that his fault ?

He is so "terrible" that he has established himself as a Scottish internationalist.

He gets on with the job and gives 100% effort - I wish the same could be said for some of other squad.

I agree with what you're saying. I don't think he's a world beater, but he can do a decent job if given a run in the team at a set position- his performances at RB earlier in the year prove he can be a solid player.

That being said, I'm not sure I would want him in the team as a week in week out starter in a year or two. We have other pressing issues in the team to address (i.e. left wing, CB if Bougherra leaves) before looking at Broadfoot.

IMO Kirk was one of our better players last night. I believe he is a stopgate but Walter wont bring anyone else in.

So while we have him as our number 1 right back fill him with confidence.

We all know he isnt tchnically a "hutton" but last night he was a minority of the lacklustre Rangers team who didnt go posted missing.

He never shirked a tackle, was always wanting the ball and even when everyone was fcuked in the last ten minutes, he was still bombing down that right hand side supporting Davis.

Im not saying Kirk is necessarily the answer but come on, give credit when credits due.

There are far more serious issues in that team that need addressing!

In total agreement, FFS lets support our team/players and stop slating them, he is there because he gives his all, unlike some players.

I am sick and fucking tired of coming on here and not a positive thing is said, maybe there should be a positive forum inserted somewhere.

Myself and my family have supported Rangers for generations but I have never heard such misery than some of the shit on here.

I think this will be my last visit for some time, I will just read the papers and get depressed that way. :ohmy: