Hallidays sending off

lewisrfc93

5 hours ago, GOAT said:

One simple question, regardless of how soft, how daft, how ridiculous you think it is, did he make a gesture to the opposition fans?  Yes or no.

Now as I've said already, I don't make the daft laws that come up in this game, I don't think any player should be booked for anything other than what they do during an actual football game, but he set himself up by making the gesture for the booking.  Do I think you should be booked for something like that?  No it's fucking ridiculous that if a support gives someone a bit of stick, then they should know to take it back.  But under the eyes of this law he made a gesture to the fans, no matter how small it was and set himself up for a booking, all I'm asking is Andy doesn't get involved in these things, is that too much to ask?

He does this celebration regularly. Suppose he will never be allowed to raise his right arm and look to his right ever again in case he gets booked. :dry:

CZpM6GoWQAIL6qc.jpg

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, cushynumber said:

Its half the fun to be provocative, derisory or inflammatory after scoring. You've earned the right.

It's the biggest get it right up you can get to put a little icing on top is only to be expected. 

We will get told shortly to stop scoring goals as it is seen as inflammatory. 

Ref has the ability within the laws of the game to book Halliday.

But he has no argument to claim he was right to do so.

There was no precedent to this being a bookable reaction to a goal being scored but there is now.

8 minutes ago, Smile said:

The boards got to make some sort of statement on this.

:lol:

The manager has made the point of what we think, it's baffling. We can't get it rescinded so I don't really see what a board statement will achieve.

It was a pretty soft booking. It's supposed to be a game of rivalries. he wasn't exactly standing in front of the Morton fans (incidentally, why were they booing McKay) and inciting violence. It wouldn't have been an issue if he hadn't already booked, though. Which brings me to another point. It was coming, you could see it. Halliday was pretty pumped up and the referee was getting pissed off with him challenging every decision.

9 minutes ago, writingranger said:

It was a pretty soft booking. It's supposed to be a game of rivalries. he wasn't exactly standing in front of the Morton fans (incidentally, why were they booing McKay) and inciting violence. It wouldn't have been an issue if he hadn't already booked, though. Which brings me to another point. It was coming, you could see it. Halliday was pretty pumped up and the referee was getting pissed off with him challenging every decision.

It was pretty much nailed on that the next thing Halliday did was going to get him booked and sent off, so it was up to the captain or manager to get him to calm down or take him off.

We have been refereed to a different standard than the opposition on our journey back up, I can pretty much guarantee that our cards to fouls ratio is significantly higher than our oppositions, so our management have got to get our players to start to play smarter and not give the refs excuse to book or send them off. 

Just now, donegal_ger said:

It was pretty much nailed on that the next thing Halliday did was going to get him booked and sent off, so it was up to the captain or manager to get him to calm down or take him off.

We have been refereed to a different standard than the opposition on our journey back up, I can pretty much guarantee that our cards to fouls ratio is significantly higher than our oppositions, so our management have got to get our players to start to play smarter and not give the refs excuse to book or send them off. 

He was celebrating us scoring a goal doh

During all the years of watching football at different levels of the game this has got to rank as one of the most farcical booking decisions that I've ever witnessed and I've seen quite a few. 
Andy was reacting with his usual punching the air salute that he nearly always displays following a goal scoring situation but because he happened to be facing in a certain direction at the time it has been considered as an inflammatory gesture towards opposing fans.

7 minutes ago, donegal_ger said:

after the goal but before Halliday was sent off, Wallace had a word with him and clearly told him to calm down. Good to see from our captain.

But aye, what a joke that decision was last night, one of the strangest things I've seen in football. 

3 minutes ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

He was celebrating us scoring a goal doh

That's not what I was saying, the refs book our players usually for their first offence whilst the opposition get 2 or 3 before they get booked.

Halliday especially seems to be the most hot headed of all our players and he really needs to calm down, his 2 sending offs this season have been ridiculous (for what he went for) but he's gave the ref the chance to send him off, on the other hand look at Tav booked early on last night and didn't look in any danger of being sent off whereas Halliday once he was booked I couldn't see him finishing the match.

So, I was saying our players have to be smarter and not get involved or we are going to lose important players for big games that we cant cover for with such a small squad.

1 hour ago, writingranger said:

I thought they were booing cause he played for them last year and Greenock is generally full of tarrier bastards! That said I did go to derby on a crackin bus from Greenock, so they're not all bad ?

15 hours ago, Marky. said:

Barry Cook taught me PE at school about 12 years ago :lol:

Don't remember him making such horrendous decisions though, and I was always one for over celebrating...

Lol. I just realised who he is too! He was the keeper in our team at high school and his dad was the coach. He was on Rangers' youth books at the time. Decent guy, actually, but for all he was a solid keeper you could see he was never going to be that good. Better goalie than ref by the looks of things.

I say that, but I don 't think the sending off was necessarily his fault.

7 minutes ago, Inigo said:

Lol. I just realised who he is too! He was the keeper in our team at high school and his dad was the coach. He was on Rangers' youth books at the time. Decent guy, actually, but for all he was a solid keeper you could see he was never going to be that good. Better goalie than ref by the looks of things.

I say that, but I don 't think the sending off was necessarily his fault.

Seems the linesman said something. When you go by that, he has no choice.

Barry maybe taking the rap but he had a decent game apart from that.

Don't think it was his fault either but, yeah, it doesn't make it any easier to take!