Anyone Else Worried About Next Season?

i don't mean to piss on anyones parade here but the confidence that people are showing after Warburtons appointment is quite overwhelming to me. I'm extremely happy that we are getting in a manager with a new vision and who looks to play football as it should be played and who is bringing in young players, but i can't dismiss the fact that Warburton is relatively new to management. His Win rate is 54%, while we can say that he was playing in a better league than we currently are, this is still a gamble taking on a manager new to Scotland.

i really hope i'm worrying over nothing but remember the last time we had a manager who wanted a new style of football at Ibrox? PLG didn't last long. We can't afford to fail this season but if it does start to go wrong, how long would we wait to repair the damage? last season was too little too late but i also think that had we gave PLG more time we would have flourished under him, our games in europe showed me that we were starting too play football instead of the long ball.

As i say, i don't want too be a doomsayer but why are people not concerned?

Loads of folk on here saying we need to learn lessons from the past - Reading the posts in this thread here are a few lessons we have not learned..

It's never as easy as folk think, just because we are 'Rangers' does not mean teams will role over for us and have their tummy tickled.

We have had a new manager before with a good pedigree and philosophy - look how that ended!

I think it's ok to look forward positively and with optimism but those who think MW walks on water and will do no wrong could be in for a shock. I hope not and I hope all our dreams come true.

I just hope for all our sakes we start with a few wins! That's all I think we need a winning manager! Football is easy! Huh!

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I too am a little astounded at the belief in Mark Warburton which for some is bordering on evangelism.

He has proved nothing in the game and certainly has never had to build a team and yet he is being heralded as a messiah already.

That said, despite my own personal misgivings, I am actually delighted that this wave of optimism exists as it makes a lovely change from the mood during 4 miserable years under Ally McMoney.

I don't have the faith in MW that many seem to have but I'm not especially worried about this season. I think we will go up and we will be decent to watch. My worries about him will commence in earnest when we go up.

I don't think taking a small club like Brentford to the brink of the EPL on a shoestring budget is 'achieving nothing'.

Guess some folk have different ideas of what achievement means. What did he have to do last season to 'prove' himself exactly?

Loads of folk on here saying we need to learn lessons from the past - Reading the posts in this thread here are a few lessons we have not learned..

It's never as easy as folk think, just because we are 'Rangers' does not mean teams will role over for us and have their tummy tickled.

We have had a new manager before with a good pedigree and philosophy - look how that ended!

I think it's ok to look forward positively and with optimism but those who think MW walks on water and will do no wrong could be in for a shock. I hope not and I hope all our dreams come true.

I just hope for all our sakes we start with a few wins! That's all I think we need a winning manager! Football is easy! Huh!

True. I think a lot of people think we're going to run away with the league. Like you said, they could be in for a shock. If Hibs can start the season with the form they showed in the latter half of the season it could be close. Especially given we have a new manager and presumably quite a few new players come the start of the season.

That being said, I think we will win the league. But not run away with it.

I'm not worried. However a lot of people are overlooking the reason why MW left and why the team were so successful.

MW didnt/couldn't adapt to the statistical way the chairman was going that why he left. The reason the club done so well was because of the statistical analysis.

That does worry me. We think we're getting someone else.

That's not completely true. Warburton used the statistical information and methods while he was at Brentford (and had used them before being the Head Coach).

His objection was to the chairman's intention to remove the right of the Head Coach to make judgement calls in recruitment and rely solely on the statistics.

We'll get an indication next season, I suppose, on which of them was correct.

i don't mean to piss on anyones parade here but the confidence that people are showing after Warburtons appointment is quite overwhelming to me. I'm extremely happy that we are getting in a manager with a new vision and who looks to play football as it should be played and who is bringing in young players, but i can't dismiss the fact that Warburton is relatively new to management. His Win rate is 54%, while we can say that he was playing in a better league than we currently are, this is still a gamble taking on a manager new to Scotland.

i really hope i'm worrying over nothing but remember the last time we had a manager who wanted a new style of football at Ibrox? PLG didn't last long. We can't afford to fail this season but if it does start to go wrong, how long would we wait to repair the damage? last season was too little too late but i also think that had we gave PLG more time we would have flourished under him, our games in europe showed me that we were starting too play football instead of the long ball.

I'm concerned and so should many others .Think there are a lot of people that think all of a sudden because we have a new Manager,everything is ok and who ever he signs ,they applaud it .Much more needed done

That's not completely true. Warburton used the statistical information and methods while he was at Brentford (and had used them before being the Head Coach).

His objection was to the chairman's intention to remove the right of the Head Coach to make judgement calls in recruitment and rely solely on the statistics.

We'll get an indication next season, I suppose, on which of them was correct.

The sad thing about statistics is that they can show a collective pattern but are quite useless on any individual event. Statistics will always help in decision making but are, rarely, used as the only criteria on which to base a decision.

I'm excited but no getting carried away. Fuck sake the guy might be exactly what we need but we haven't even had a game with him in charge yet and even then it might take a while to get things right.

After the shite we've had the last few seasons you can't blame anyone for being a bit cautious but to be honest I was a bit hesitant to renew my season ticket and if it wasn't for all those useless players leaving and Warburton/Weir coming in then I probably wouldn't have bothered renewing. Whatever happens surely to fuck it can't be any worse that what we've put up since admin.

I'm loving everything I hear and read about MW, but I must be honest and say,I'm a bit underwelmed by the new signings with the season about to start.

I was hoping for a bit more added in midfield and up front, but I'll certainly get right behind the new management and all the players.

I honestly think the job MW has to do is exaggerated, this league is not hard to win, as Hearts showed everyone last season. I think he will show us just how bad Ally was. Remember Gretna done far better than us at going through the leagues and also done well in the Premier League, all for £2.5m. We have beached over £60m only to fail. How much did Hearts spend? Did they have any big money signings that some of us crave? No. They had a good coach and they used their money wisely, I have every confidence that MW, DW and our new Board will show us just how easy it is.

As for the SPL we only have the mhanks to beat and they sell all their best players every season to balance the books in our absence, no CL and there £25m plus wage bill is an anchor round the bhoys black necks. I'm sure a shrewd manager and Board can win the SPL with half of that, the sheep got close and the only have arroung 10% of the budget. Mark my words it won't be long till Ronnie's fist pumps wear thin, he's playing the papes like a fiddle.

PLG's biggest mistake was playing centre halfs who couldn't or wouldn't head the ball.

Every other Scottish team just lumped a high ball right into the centre of our defence and chaos ensued.

I don't think your trying to compare warburton with him but warburton is sorting out the spine of the team first which is exactly what PLG failed to do.

I'm quite optimistic for the coming season so no worries from me.

Worried is perhaps a bit strong but I am definitely not allowing my expectations to rise too high.

I truly hope that this management is the solution. Their recruits, so far, have been adequate but I think we require more in terms of both numbers and quality. We still need to have an eye on competing in the premiership next year so we can't be building a squad solely for this year.

Sure, things could go tits up again, anyone would be a bit silly not to admit that. And despite the lack of signings, or pre-season games, I think we'll prevail.

I like the way he talks and the way he wants to do it all with a healthy mixture of player, mostly youngsters. He's like the breath of fresh air that we should've had 3 and half years ago and even if we have some slip ups, due to the lack of pre-season games, we could win this league by a healthy margin if all were to go right on the night.

That's ridiculous

Perhaps because we have better players and a better management team?

Ridiculous asking for proof when told to stop assuming things?

Better player and manager are opinions not factual.

And last year we had better players too apparently.

So basically all we have are opinions and assumptions, yes?

Not worried about the new season at all. Looking forward to seeing the club move forward in terms of the operating culture, the style of play and the balance between youth and experience. I only wish we had done this three years ago. Even if it's not an immediate success, it will work out in due course. Warburton's decision making so far, and his comments about how he wants to see us progress, have been a world away from the nonsense of recent years.

Ridiculous asking for proof when told to stop assuming things?

Better player and manager are opinions not factual.

And last year we had better players too apparently.

So basically all we have are opinions and assumptions, yes?

Lol are you for real,okay where's your proof that Celtic will win the spfl next season? Where's your proof that Barcelona or real Madrid will win the Spanish league?

Lol are you for real,okay where's your proof that Celtic will win the spfl next season? Where's your proof that Barcelona or real Madrid will win the Spanish league?

I think you have a problem.