Mervan Celik signs for Rangers

The Monk

Last one to leave can put the lights out.........or don't. I'm past the point of caring now. Just hand me my medication.

Nurse........

Nurse......

They are telling me to love ra Celik, but I cant do it nurse. (bursts into tears) I just cant do it..................

Flatlines ^ ^

---------Greggs---------

Jaager---Goain---Boca---Wallace

Aluko----Ness---Davis----Celik

-----Laffery----Sandaza/Jelavic---

I can dream.....

With everyone on form, and Ness still struggling with injury it would be more like Edu and Davis in the middle with Edu having the simple "break up play, win the ball and move it on" sort of role. However, that team does look magnificent drool.gif

Another striker, with pace, perhaps the Polish guy on loan? in place of Lafferty and we have a side!

THE chances of Ally McCoist uncovering the next Wayne Rooney during the transfer window are somewhat remote.

But the Rangers boss could land his own version of the Manchester United star if he signs winger Mervan Celik, according to Swedish Under-21 boss Hakan Ericson.

McCoist confirmed last week that he had offered a contract to Celik, with the forward available on a free transfer after leaving Allsvenskan side GAIS.

The champions would have to pay a compensation fee to the Swedish side for nurturing the youngster’s talents but that could be a small price to pay if the 21-year-old fulfils his potential.

Celik today dropped the biggest hint yet he is about to swap Gothenburg for Glasgow. And the man who has overseen his development, alongside Swedish legend Tommy Soderberg, reckons the Ibrox club would be landing their own version of United’s key man if they can tie down a deal for the Scandinavian.

“Mervan reminds me a bit of Wayne Rooney,” Ericson told SportTimes. “He cannot read the game as well as Rooney, who is fantastic at linking with his team-mates and finding them in good positions – and that is something that Mervan has to work at a bit more.

“But when he has the ball and he is running at players, Rooney is a good comparison in his style.

“Of course, he is not at the same level as Rooney but the way he handles himself and the way he plays reminds me of how Wayne plays.

“His movement and how he approaches defenders is similar. Mervan is still young and, while he has a lot to learn, he is a good player and can become even better.”

With more than a fortnight of the January transfer window already elapsed and no new faces having arrived at Ibrox, time is not on McCoist’s side as he attempts to strengthen his squad for the SPL title run-in.

Rangers’ requirement for attacking reinforcements could grow further, should Nikica Jelavic leave in a big-money move before the end of the month, with Celik one of the options McCoist is considering to revamp his depleted forward line.

The arrival of Celik would be a step in the right direction as far as Ericson is concerned, and he remains confident the Swedish protege has all the right attributes after seeing him star in his homeland.

He said: “Mervan is a really powerful player. He is very quick, he is very fit and very strong. He is more right-footed than left, and he has an excellent shot.

“I have used him as a winger for the national team in recent years, both on the left and the right, and as a wide midfielder coming into the middle of the field from the wings.

“I have also used him as a striker as well, he has a good eye for goal. He scored 14 goals in the Swedish league last year, which is very good for a winger.

“He creates a lot of goals and provides good service to the forwards. He is more effective on the left wing because he likes to come inside and link play or get a shot away.

“He is good on the right-hand side as well – he can get past defenders and get crosses into the box – but that is not the strongest part of his game.”

The need for new faces may be pressing at Ibrox but, with the champions still gripped by financial difficulties, McCoist faces a challenge to find quality additions at affordable prices.

While the likes of Dorin Goian, Carlos Bocanegra and Lee Wallace have proven successful acquisitions in his tenure so far, the forward-thinking players he has signed like Juanma Ortiz and Alejandro Bedoya have struggled to adapt to life in our top flight.

McCoist will be well aware of the need for any new arrivals to hit the ground running as they look to overhaul Celtic in the title race, but Ericson is confident Celik can produce the goods.

He said: “I think he will be able to adapt to Scottish football. He is very strong and very powerful, so I don’t see the physical side being a problem for him. He will always give you 100%. After every training session, he does extra work to practice and to learn.

“He is very good away from the pitch. He eats correctly and puts in extra work to improve his game. I think the move to Rangers is a good opportunity for him.”

It is not just in Sweden where Celik is highly rated, with clubs across Britain and the Continent expressing an interest in signing him in recent weeks.

Turkish side Gazientepspor are also in the race to sign the forward, with Fulham, Middlesbrough and Genoa all linked with the former BK Haken youngster.

McCoist has been forced to sit and wait while the Swede considers his options but, wherever Celik ends up, his national boss is confident he has a bright future ahead of him.

Ericson said: “He has started a few games for us at Under-21 level and done well for the team.

“I think he has the potential to move up to the full national team. He has already had a good grounding and has a lot of talent.

“He needs to learn how to read the game a bit better and how to deal with different situations but he is still young and has time to improve.

“Mervan has developed a lot over the last year. He has been working very hard and that has paid off. In one or two years and in the right environment, I think he could be very, very good.”

Some interesting points here. The Rooney thing is a bit odd however.