No fans at Euros

Scaremongering at its best

UEFA will consider playing Euro 2016 without supporters if the terrorism threat rises in the next three months, the governing body's executive committee vice-president has said.

Giancarlo Abete, vice-president since 2011, told Italian radio that more extreme measures may have to be taken for the tournament in France following Tuesday's terror attacks in Brussels.

The former head of the Italian FA told Radio24: "Euro 2016 is the kind of event that we can't delay or postpone.

"We can't exclude the possibility of playing behind closed doors, as we cannot exclude terrorism. If we talked about potentially cancellable games, such as a friendly or a competitive match, they could be moved to another date.

"Obviously this would not be the case. But we are talking about games which are staged for June whereas, today, we are going through a very urgent emergency."

At least 34 people were killed in Brussels following explosions at Zavantem Airport and Maalbeek metro station.

Belgium's national squad cancelled their training session yesterday and their friendly against Portugal in Brussels next week is in serious doubt.

FIFA has released a statement reaffirming its commitment to guaranteeing a "safe and secure" Euro 2016 in France this summer.

2 hours ago, rolledoats said:

I've booked and paid for my trip to France this summer. As have loads of others all over Europe, not a chance this will happen. 

It won't happen, but not because you and others have paid for holidays.

Just thinking that this summer's tournament is probably the highest rated terrorist target in history.

An Olympic Games can almost provide a sealed-off mini city.

Defensible. Although venues outside the main centre are not.

A football tournament, with multiple venues is a nightmare, especially if the cunts want to murder fans arriving by train, airports, city centres, and because the threat is not just at or inside the stadiums, it is wide open to attack

People have quickly forgotten that on New Year's Eve, 2 railway stations in Munich were rapidly evacuated due to the threat of an imminent attack. It did not happen, and events in Cologne grabbed all the headlines, it was quickly forgotten.

Security services knew that an attack was coming. They even knew the stations that were to be hit. But those who are keen to deny the threat from these fuckers, do what they love to do: deny and downplay the threat.

Until in blows up in their faces.

Rather than playing behind closed doors, this event , should a major attack, or attacks occur may well end up being cancelled or abandoned altogether. They are holding it on the proviso that it goes ahead unless and until the unthinkable happens.

We have NEVER faced a threat like this in our lifetimes. No IRA, ETA, Red Brigades, Baader Meinhof group has ever posed this level of threat to life in Europe. 

There was actually a terrorist bomb outside Real Madrid's stadium just before a European Cup Final once, but as everyone knew, that was just ETA showing they had big balls.

Once the area was cleared, the match went ahead with no further incident.

These suicidal nutcases are in a different universe.

15 minutes ago, WishartsAshes said:

Presumably this won't apply to the Northern Ireland games.

IS wouldn't be that daft. :ulster:

I was actually thinking imagine they attempted to hit Belfast. The post chaos would be insane. 

Obviously I hope it never happens though. 

I think that they should do all that they can, to make it safe for fans, but cancelling games, or playing games to empty stadiums, gives these terrorist bastards a victory.

They want to change our way of life. They want us to live in fear. 

They'll be laughing among themselves about this. 

They think that they've got us running scared, they're loving this.

Well I say "NO SURRENDER" to these IS bastards.

They think that they're so brave in their attacks, but they're not, they are being COWARDS.

They pick on defenceless civilians, they use their young as suicide bombers, they are the scum of the Earth.

NO SURRENDER!!!

47 minutes ago, Thewhitesettler said:

I think that they should do all that they can, to make it safe for fans, but cancelling games, or playing games to empty stadiums, gives these terrorist bastards a victory.

They want to change our way of life. They want us to live in fear. 

They'll be laughing among themselves about this. 

They think that they've got us running scared, they're loving this.

Well I say "NO SURRENDER" to these IS bastards.

They think that they're so brave in their attacks, but they're not, they are being COWARDS.

They pick on defenceless civilians, they use their young as suicide bombers, they are the scum of the Earth.

NO SURRENDER!!!

As soon as you can tell us just exactly whom these ISIS personnel are, I'm sure you will have plenty of company in your determination to tell them 'No Surrender'.
Until then maybe we should leave the authorities to handle whomsoever they can identify or whatever events require caution.

Think the SFA deserve a lot of credit for safeguarding Scottish fans safety at these games by not qualifying. (tu)

On 3/23/2016 at 8:54 AM, heathen fish boy said:

Fuck me,the bheasts been invited to that too?

They could send over those 20,000 "include in official attendance" seats which always look empty.