England related thread

57 minutes ago, Inigo said:

Plastic English to join the plastic Irish. Some place this wee country is.

Insulting comparison imo

Firstly, English and Scots hold a British passport and have stood shoulder to shoulder in conflict for centuries. England and Scotland have been bonded as a nation ever since a Scottish King took the English throne. A feeling of camaraderie between England and Scotland is completely natural. Let's compare to Ireland, a completely separate country where a great many sympathise with terrorism against the UK.... 

Secondly, the main point in respect of growing support for the England national team among Bears is the disillusionment many of us feel due to our treatment by the SFA (and Scottish football as a whole), the hijacking of our media by the rhepublican minded, the efforts of the SNP to marginalise those identifying with Rangers and a protestant background. In short, large portions of the Scottish demographic either hate Rangers or are being groomed by the media/SNP to hate Rangers. As a result Bears are treated better in England than Scotland.

If you see support for Ireland by celtic fans on the same level as support for England among Bears then I suspect you view the waving of the tri-colour by THEM as being on par with our waving of the union flag and our songs supporting Ulster, the monarchy etc. Perhaps there are some elements of our traditional values that you are inherently uncomfortable with?

Not having a go mate. Just interested where you're coming from.

1 minute ago, StaunchLondonGer said:

Insulting comparison imo

Firstly, English and Scots hold a British passport and have stood shoulder to shoulder in conflict for centuries. England and Scotland have been bonded as a nation ever since a Scottish King took the English throne. A feeling of camaraderie between England and Scotland is completely natural. Let's compare to Ireland, a completely separate country where a great many sympathise with terrorism against the UK.... 

Secondly, the main point in respect of growing support for the England national team among Bears is the disillusionment many of us feel due to our treatment by the SFA (and Scottish football as a whole), the hijacking of our media by the rhepublican minded, the efforts of the SNP to marginalise those identifying with Rangers and a protestant background. In short, large portions of the Scottish demographic either hate Rangers or are being groomed by the media/SNP to hate Rangers. As a result Bears are treated better in England than Scotland.

If you see support for Ireland by celtic fans on the same level as support for England among Bears then I suspect you view the waving of the tri-colour by THEM as being on par with our waving of the union flag and our songs supporting Ulster, the monarchy etc. Perhaps there are some elements of our traditional values that you are inherently uncomfortable with?

Excellent post, was about to reply in similar terms but you have done a far more comprehensive job.

3 hours ago, The Dude said:

My favourite is folk saying they are our ‘neighbours’ or we’re the ‘part of the same country.’ 

I look forward to seeing them support celtic in their champions league qualifier. Not just are they our neighbour and part of the same country but them doing well directly benefits us. 

How does the tarriers getting 30m for making the group stages of cl benefit us or Scottish football as a whole for that matter. 

17 minutes ago, wishawbear87 said:

Was born in Eastbourne,father was English cousins are english,a lot of protestant friends Inow England then we have our majesty and the royal family,it's coming home its coming home.......

Your situation's different to someone born in Scotland to Scottish parents with no close family ties to England but who supports England over Scotland.

1 hour ago, StaunchLondonGer said:

Insulting comparison imo

Take a bow son ???

2 hours ago, LOL153 No Surrender!!! said:

Here, what makes you think that, worked down south and not one bit of hassle ever, accommodated me in every way, Rangers were in Europe and English teams as well, they used to put the Rangers game on the screen in the corner for me, didnt need to but they did, most teams down south have a good wee loyalist side to them and any I have spoken to like Rangers, fuck sake was on holiday in Ibiza there and was in a bar with West Ham, Sheffield Wed and Bristol Rovers fans, me and the boy, loved it, not one bit of bother towards me, actually shaking my hand and kept a few of there numbers, so yeah they don't hate us. 

I usually have a look through fan forums if we play an English team in a friendly and they aren’t the most friendliest comments towards us.

2 hours ago, wishawbear87 said:

Was born in Eastbourne,father was English cousins are english,a lot of protestant friends Inow England then we have our majesty and the royal family,it's coming home its coming home.......

1 hour ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

Your situation's different to someone born in Scotland to Scottish parents with no close family ties to England but who supports England over Scotland.

Me ?

Born in Scotland.

Scottish parents.

No close family ties in England except wife who dislikes football and couldn't care less if England win.

Live in Eastbourne.

I support England over Scotland.   Only one of those two tried to destroy my favourite football team. 

For me there probably was a time i felt patriotic watching Scotland, but now they just remind me of a trait I hate “losers” I fucking hate losers and even more, people who embrace being losers 

the snp when they lost the referendum, an their fucking cringy 45ers patter ? Scottish to a tee them cunts 

It’s sad to feel embarrassed of your country, I’ll still say I’m Scottish but when I class myself British I feel a lot more patriotic to the uk than I do this shitey wee whore of a place that we call home

I worked in England for a few years when I was 16, had a fucking great time, the fanny was good, fulla dirties! ?

15 hours ago, StaunchLondonGer said:

Insulting comparison imo

Yeah, but if you've got close Irish heritage, why shouldn't you cherish that just the same? Why should that be less relevant to them than standing shoulder to shoulder is to you? The same way an ancestral Scot in Canada might cherish his roots.

I have no issue with tricolours being flown by them, or UJs or red hands by us as some kind of nod to heritage or whatever you want to call it. Both of the clubs have respective histories that make those flags entirely relevant to them. But when it comes to football, England is for those that are English. That's kind of the point, and going beyond wishing them well, or wanting them to do well to cheering their goals and shouting 'come on England, bring it home' as you would a Rangers one misses the point of international football.  You're not English, any more than they're Irish. You can be damned sure few England fans would regard a Scotland win as bringing anything home, and quite rightly so. And supporting them as some petted lip get it up ye to the SFA, TA or whoever would be pretty childish tbh. By all means don't support the Scottish team, but the default alternative isn't England, because, again, you're not English, and in international football, that's kind of the point.

In a footballing sense, England isn't our country. There's a definite double standard when it comes to the 'plastic Irish' thing. People will quite rightly do what they want to do, and cheer who and when they want, but others can also point out the hypocrisy, and that it does come across a little cringy same as when the tims used to get slagged for it.

Re the traditional values, inherently uncomfortable etc comment. You always know when you start these kinds of conversation that some people aren't going to simply read the argument you're making and accept that for what it is, and instead defensively hop, skip and jump to some broad conclusion like that. But I'll answer you anyway. No, I'm not uncomfortable with Britishness and such being values many people associate with the club.

1 hour ago, Inigo said:

"I have no issue with tricolours being flown by them, or UJs or red hands by us as some kind of nod to heritage or whatever you want to call it..."

"I'm not uncomfortable with Britishness and such being values many people associate with the club."

I honestly struggle to understand this tbh.  You make Derek Johnstone look staunch ffs

What you see as "some kind of nod to heritage??!?!?" that "many people associate with the club!!??!?" is a CRUCIAL PART OF OUR IDENTITY. If you yourself don't get - if you don't actually FEEL it in your heart then you are not Rangers imo.

Ulster Bears are our brothers. The Union Flag defines our traditional British Unionist values. These things are not antiquated idiosyncrasies - they are MORE important now than ever given the threat from the SNP.

So, you're not "uncomfortable with Britishness". Well good for you mate. Personally, I fucking EMBRACE IT! I revel in it. I ram it up the fucking noses of the SNP and all who support them.

6 hours ago, .Williamson. said:

You don't support Rangers if you don't support England

Lot a shite. My grandad and my auld man were/are lifelong tartan army members. Also lifelong Rangers fans and despite me growing up with all celtic fans they made sure i supported the right club and my country. Will never be ashamed to support my country or my club.