McCann on Kamara

BridgeIsBlue

Glen Kamara is a "class act" who can influence Rangers in the fashion of former captain Barry Ferguson, says Neil McCann.

Ex-Ibrox winger McCann signed the 23-year-old for Dundee in the summer 2017 following his release from Arsenal.

The Finland international joined Rangers in January but has yet to feature for Steven Gerrard's side.

"If he gets into the side, I think it will be very difficult to move him," McCann told BBC Scotland.

"He's a real star in the making. He's still learning the game but I just think he's a terrific footballer. He moves so well and Rangers are getting a class act.

"He will continue to improve under Steven Gerrard and dealing with the expectation levels at such a big club."

Kamara initially agreed a pre-contract move to Ibrox but the switch was completed on deadline day with the Premiership rivals agreeing an undisclosed fee.

He played in 19 games for the Dark Blues this season after 46 appearances in his debut campaign in Scotland but has not been included in a squad for Rangers' three matches so far in February.

"He's very laid back," added McCann, who played for Rangers from 1998-2003, winning nine trophies. "He is confident in his own ability without ever showing that outwardly. He will need that self-belief at Ibrox.

"His best attributes are sitting in front of the back four and conducting play. He's not an enforcer. Ross McCrorie and Ryan Jack are more physical. But, for me, he's a better footballer than both.

"When I look back at my successful time at Rangers, we had Barry Ferguson controlling the tempo.

"He wasn't overly physical but he would cover ground so quickly and snuff out danger, change direction, pick a pass. That's Kamara."

McCann is not the only person singing the praises of Rangers' recent signing.

Nigeria international Alex Iwobi came through the Arsenal ranks with Kamara and, last month, included him in his best XI from team-mates past and present.

That fantasy line-up includes current Gunners stars Mesut Ozil, Alexandre Lacazette and Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, along with Ahmed Musa and Santi Cazorla.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47197880

6 minutes ago, Essandoh said:

What impressed me most in the games I watched him play was how fluid his movement is. He has so much composure on the ball and seems to have eyes on the back of his head sometimes.

He also has the ability to ride a tackle and turn a player, hopefully his full potential will be unleashed under SG and his team...

Can’t see Dorrans ever playing for us again with Kamara’s arrival.

The current midfield three are no brainers at the moment and we’d miss the width/covering back of Kent and Candeias if we sacrificed either of them so Kamara may have to wait for injuries or suspensions then play out his skin to try to keep his place.

All good news 

:UK:

Just now, jjbscotty12 said:

celtic game aside that midfield 3 have been bang average.

Think that's harsh on Mcrorie and Jack. Neither have been as good as they were on that day but they've not been far off it. Arfield on the other hand has been invisible since we came back from the winter break.

I think the best mix for us might prove to be McCrorie, Kamara and Davis/a fit Arfield. We need guile and Davis provides that, McCrorie is the destroyer and ball winner, Kamara can carry the ball and can also pass. With Kamara and McCrorie we have athleticism mixed with ball playing ability, freeing up Davis to play his passes further upfield.

I say all this as someone who has never been a fan of Jack. I think he's a bit of a nothing midfielder. Tidy but mostly ineffectual, a bit like an upgraded Jason Holt.