New Champions League proposals

On 18/04/2019 at 13:01, ricksen_da_best said:

celtic could be guaranteed a Champions League Group Stage place every year under new proposals that would grant wild card entries for clubs with 'great historical importance to football.'

The current format for Europe's top club competition is set to change and a variety of new formats have been proposed.

The top four teams will qualify for the knock-out phase, the bottom club would be 'relegated' and the remainder going into the Europa League. Matches could also be played on some weekends.

But crucially, the proposal includes granting wild cards to clubs of historical importance in European football.

That would mean celtic - the first British club to win the European Cup in 1967 - would be granted a spot in the new format.

Pedro has got his hands in all the pies 

And I'm not kidding 

On 18/04/2019 at 14:04, Inigo said:

Sellic have done absolutely fuck all, nothing, nada, zilch, in that competition since 1974. Allowing them automatic access based on something they did 52 years ago is just jaw-droppingly absurd for anything calling itself a sporting competition.

That's a good post to be fair 

53 minutes ago, Inigo said:

Why thank you, eejay. Very magnanimous of you.

I have decided to end the animosity towards you . You are still one of the better posters on here

On the condition , you will accept, I will always be the most paranoid bear on here bar a couple :mutley:

And that you are a RMs know it all condescending champ .......... on occasions

I hope you can accept the olive branch :whistle:

1 minute ago, VallancesDog said:

I know it won't, but I wish it would go back to the original format.

Champions of domestic league = CL Groups 

In the first Champions League we played in a play off against Leeds United.

18 hours ago, LV said:

In the first Champions League we played in a play off against Leeds United.

Was that actually a play off?

I seem to remember that the format was all the champions went into an all in draw, no seeding straight knock out for the first round. The surviving teams then formed the group stages.

Suppose it could be viewed as a play off but I'm sure UEFA called it first round.

18 hours ago, Brackley said:

Was that actually a play off?

I seem to remember that the format was all the champions went into an all in draw, no seeding straight knock out for the first round. The surviving teams then formed the group stages.

Suppose it could be viewed as a play off but I'm sure UEFA called it first round.

Dont remember if there were seedings, but there was a round before that. We beat Lyngby in the first round, then Leeds in the second.

2 hours ago, Inigo said:

Dont remember if there were seedings, but there was a round before that. We beat Lyngby in the first round, then Leeds in the second.

Yeah it was early rounds. Leeds actually got in the back door/reprive after and issue with a German team and a replayed match, can't mind exact details.

3 hours ago, Inigo said:

There were no seedings. Barca played Milan in the qualifying round 

31 minutes ago, Ferris Bueller said:

Yeah it was early rounds. Leeds actually got in the back door/reprive after and issue with a German team and a replayed match, can't mind exact details.

Stuttgart played four foreigners in one of the legs, the three foreigners rule was in place and Leeds were awarded the tie 3-0. Leeds won the replay