Hastie signing announced

I don't think every young prospect benefits from going out on loan, for example, McCrorie is learning more being around the first team. But I believe we signed Hastie to put him out on loan next year. I think we could do a better job at picking the clubs to go to, however. S.omeone better than  Bury or Shrewsbury.

I see from the Rangers website that Mark Allen is quoted as saying: "“We are committed to improving the strength of our squad and this is part of that process. There will be some departures and we hope for a few arrivals which will add greater quality.”

If Hastie is seen as improving the strength of the squad then I don't see that.   Who is he likely to replace that would register him as being an improvement? If Hastie is seen by Allen and Gerrard as improving on the existing quality then it seems to me to be a bit of a stretch of interpretation. 

Not just a marking time replacement for whoever leaves but actually improving?    The player is untried and untested over a whole SPFL league season.    The signing is more about placing a bet on future potential, not placing a more certain bet on a tried and tested Rangers-ready player who is demonstrably an improvement to the quality of the squad. 

But there we go.  Clearly Gerrard and Allen see something in him (and in Jones) that convince them that these players will provide something of the added edge and contribute measurably to delivering the added consistency that is needed for title and cup wins.    I hope that what they see is translated into the sorts of performances Rangers needs.   We'll see next season whether their judgement in signing Hastie (and Jones) bears silverware fruit.    I also hope further signings are made over the transfer period of players who are demonstrably of far better quality and experience than those departing and of those remaining.......real Rangers-ready players who really should be able to make silverware winning difference. 

8 minutes ago, Reformation Bear said:

I see from the Rangers website that Mark Allen is quoted as saying: "“We are committed to improving the strength of our squad and this is part of that process. There will be some departures and we hope for a few arrivals which will add greater quality.”

If Hastie is seen as improving the strength of the squad then I don't see that.   Who is he likely to replace that would register him as being an improvement? If Hastie is seen by Allen and Gerrard as improving on the existing quality then it seems to me to be a bit of a stretch of interpretation. 

Not just a marking time replacement for whoever leaves but actually improving?    The player is untried and untested over a whole SPFL league season.    The signing is more about placing a bet on future potential, not placing a more certain bet on a tried and tested Rangers-ready player who is demonstrably an improvement to the quality of the squad. 

But there we go.  Clearly Gerrard and Allen see something in him (and in Jones) that convince them that these players will provide something of the added edge and contribute measurably to delivering the added consistency that is needed for title and cup wins.    I hope that what they see is translated into the sorts of performances Rangers needs.   We'll see next season whether their judgement in signing Hastie (and Jones) bears silverware fruit.    I also hope further signings are made over the transfer period of players who are demonstrably of far better quality and experience than those departing and of those remaining.......real Rangers-ready players who really should be able to make silverware winning difference. 

Our squad is made up of at least 24 players under contract. He will become one of those players with the likes of Wallace, Holt & Dodoo and others moving on.