Biggest turn around from a Rangers player?

graeme_4

2 hours ago, tannerall said:

Barton and Alves in the wrong direction.

Charlatans.

Every Portuguese lad we spoke to in Porto about former players all made some reference to how physical Alves was , no sure they understood he was a big shitebag with us , from that first league game at fir park when the Motherwell players were slide tackling him in his own 18 yard box he shat the bed 

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Blueteeth said:

There was so many players, I think even big Amo was shite when he came in, making big mistakes all the time. He practically erased them from his game and became rock solid.

Memory is shite, I might be wrong.

Amo came in against the scum at the glitter dome and absolutely strolled it  he was magnificent  from day one 

11 hours ago, geronimoo said:

I always believed a big part of Gorams starting problem was that he was filling the boots of Chris Woods who was a brilliant keeper, Woods would have more or less walked into any team in the world at both club and international level, he was second choice for England as they had Shilton who at that point was in top form and is also 1 of the greatest of all time.

For bad starts I always remember Amoruso had a woeful start, heard him being called Ama-useless at times, the big wasn't phased and had confidence in his ability even if hardly anyone else did at this point. 

Thats a great post and provides an indicator to younger posters just how good a keeper Woods was.  My only slight disagreement is over Shilton, who whilst obviously a fantastic keeper, was never as good as an PJ.  I always felt that Pat Jennings was the best keeper of his generation but was largely ignored by the media cause he wasnt English.  Excuse the typos, my old pal Jack Daniels popped in for a walk down memory lane.

10 hours ago, bluenoz said:

Maurice Edu received a lot of abuse his first two seasons but an injury time winner against the scum in 2010 helped change his fortunes.

Edu was brilliant during the title run before he got injured at Dundee United. That was his first proper run of games as well. 

12 hours ago, stevemac said:

Walter did sign some amount of shite in his time. Thankfully he signed some absolute stars to make up for it.

Beattie was an England international (albeit just the one cap) as was Jeffers.

He'd done well at Premier league clubs too, and  I thought his bustling and direct style was ideal for Scottish football. 

He'd always had lots of injuries though, still puzzled though why he didn't even do a basic turn for us.

I think Grezda could have had a huge turn around were it not for the spitting incident. I’m guessing he isn’t well liked which wouldn’t help.

I don’t think he played as bad as people say and remember he was meant to be the better player from Osijek. Look how long it took Borna to turn it around, and Borna would probably be away had he not gone to Gerrard and apologised after that training match.

27 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Eh? The first league game of his first season he dribbled the ball about 60 yards before setting up big dunc for the winner

1-1 with Motherwell mate

His Wiki shows it as a draw :lol: WTF!

Anyway. I remember from his video he talked about how he had a bad start because his first 3 or 4 games were lost and he was saying the difference between losing 3 games here and losing 3 games in Milan shocked him because In Glasgow he was greeted by bears telling him it would get better and in Milan you would get lynched :lol:

29 minutes ago, BlueThunder said:

I think Grezda could have had a huge turn around were it not for the spitting incident. I’m guessing he isn’t well liked which wouldn’t help.

I don’t think he played as bad as people say and remember he was meant to be the better player from Osijek. Look how long it took Borna to turn it around, and Borna would probably be away had he not gone to Gerrard and apologised after that training match.

dont think grezda has shown any signs of reforming mate. We all make stupid mistakes, just like he has, but if he hasnt got the brass to go to the boss and apologise, beg for a chance and put in 200% in training, first in last out to prove he is worth a chance, then he isnt right for the club. Shame because he is talented but seems totally disinterested. Happy to make a living out of us.

Always remember Willie Mathieson (left back for you young ones😊).  Came in as a part time player and after watching him a good few games we were all pretty sure he would stay part time. Probably the most one-footed players I’ve ever seen. They said his right foot was just for standing on and it wasn’t even that good for that.

Over the seasons though he grew into one of these players you totally rely on. He was steady, not flashy but never let the team down culminating in being one of the famous in 1972 when he played in every round.👏. This was a Rangers man, through and through.👍

You really need to give players a season before judging them , though I know that'll never happen .

Hateley , McCoist , Moore , to name a few  , and  I'd add John Brown too , all took a year to settle , and if fans had been managers we'd probably have missed out on some great players for us . 

18 hours ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

Craig Moore and Alan Hutton are two more

Alan Hutton is a myth. He was simply young then developed. As usual people were just a bit impatient with him.

He was still only 22 when he had those blistering games against Stuttgart and Lyon.

5 hours ago, Getstiffed said:

1-1 with Motherwell mate

His Wiki shows it as a draw :lol: WTF!

Anyway. I remember from his video he talked about how he had a bad start because his first 3 or 4 games were lost and he was saying the difference between losing 3 games here and losing 3 games in Milan shocked him because In Glasgow he was greeted by bears telling him it would get better and in Milan you would get lynched :lol:

Rangers season 1994-95 wiki shows the 2-1 win lol, 

Good thread OP............ I would agree with SIMA.......Ally McCoist was very poor when he first arrived and was ( quite rightly ) heckled by the boo boys at that time.

He silenced his critics in the right way - banging in goals left right and centre against the manky mob.

19 hours ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

Agree with you about Woods. 

I don't remember Amoruso's dodgy start, thought that came under Advocaat but might be mis-remembering. Looked a rolls royce of a player on his debut versus them.

You could be right, and it prob is my memory. I thought he was not that great at the start and came good, it might be he had a dip in form that I'm getting mixed up with. 

8 hours ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

Thats a great post and provides an indicator to younger posters just how good a keeper Woods was.  My only slight disagreement is over Shilton, who whilst obviously a fantastic keeper, was never as good as an PJ.  I always felt that Pat Jennings was the best keeper of his generation but was largely ignored by the media cause he wasnt English.  Excuse the typos, my old pal Jack Daniels popped in for a walk down memory lane.

Jennings was a little bit before my time, I had heard of him but. I think Goram was in the same boat, if he was from the continent like Italy or Spain he would have been considered an all time great, I seriously rate Goram as 1 of the best ever and (slightly controversial for some) I rate him as good as a young Buffon.

Archived