A Fantastic result in more ways than one.

BLUEDIGNITY

Rangers' 4-2 aggregate win over Braga sealed their place in the last 16 of the Europa League after two accomplished performances against the Portuguese outfit.

The Ibrox club were 2-0 down with an hour played during the first leg in Govan but Steven Gerrard's side rallied to produce a remarkable 3-2 win at home.

On Wednesday they travelled to Portugal for the return leg and left as 1-0 winners thanks to Ryan Kent's breakaway strike.

After recording back-to-back wins over Braga, Rangershave now matched an achievement that no other Scottish club has for EIGHTEEN years.

The two victories are the first time any Scottish team has won home and away in a knockout European tie (excluding qualifiers) since celtic pulled off the same feat in 2002.

The Parkhead club made it all the way to the UEFA Cup final in the 2002/03 campaign, before they ultimately came up short against Jose Mourinho's Porto.

On their way, in the second round, Martin O'Neill's team defeated Blackburn Rovers home and away - the last time any Scottish team did so in Europe.

But now Rangers have brought that 18-year record to an end following their victories over Braga.

1 minute ago, Redwhiteandblue said:

What was the reason for our game last night being last night? 

Can't think of many, if any time Champions league/Europa league knockout fixtures have been played on the same night...

Think it was cos Oporto played tonight.

4 hours ago, Goianegra said:

It's sensational. I know it's not the goal here, but it's the European stuff that makes me say Gerrard's position shouldn't even be up for debate, regardless of the league. It's record after record in Europe under him.

Exactly this, also getting a core of a team put together and adding a few more bits of quality. And Europe is the best way to fund that 

5 hours ago, Goianegra said:

It's sensational. I know it's not the goal here, but it's the European stuff that makes me say Gerrard's position shouldn't even be up for debate, regardless of the league. It's record after record in Europe under him.

‘Regardless of the league?’ Aye, no bother. And let’s just play a weakened side in the league before our EL matches - it’s only the league, no important games there 🤷‍♂️

See his European record is brilliant but you're saying regardless of the league, its not exactly a great season if we went out in the last 16 and they won another treble, including the league by double figures now is it? As that looks a real possibility on our current domestic form.

It definitely should be up for debate, it's frustrating our form can be so bi polar. 

Meanwhile the fenians are mopping up treble after treble. That cant continue otherwise his position will be up for debate,regardless of the european run. That is a fact.

54 minutes ago, Sket said:

Meanwhile the fenians are mopping up treble after treble. That cant continue otherwise his position will be up for debate,regardless of the european run. That is a fact.

This is the difficulty in the " should Gerrard stay or go?" question. His record in Europe is exceptional and unquestionable, but the reality is we're not a team that's going to make it to European quarter/semi/finals on a regular basis. He needs to figure out a way to break down the low block of the SPL or we'll never put a trophy in our cabinet again and he'll be going from mid week hero to weekend zero constantly. 

3 hours ago, SkylineBlue said:

This is the difficulty in the " should Gerrard stay or go?" question. His record in Europe is exceptional and unquestionable, but the reality is we're not a team that's going to make it to European quarter/semi/finals on a regular basis. He needs to figure out a way to break down the low block of the SPL or we'll never put a trophy in our cabinet again and he'll be going from mid week hero to weekend zero constantly. 

100%

I want him to succeed but the domestic issue needs to rapidly change.

1 hour ago, loyalfollower said:

Tell you what though, I’d rather win the Europa league than the Scottish premiership

Winning Europa Cup brings in scads of cash and guaranteed Champions League play next season. All that money is probably the fastest track back to competing on a level financial playing field. However, stopping them is paramount and nothing else matters.

31 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

Winning Europa Cup brings in scads of cash and guaranteed Champions League play next season. All that money is probably the fastest track back to competing on a level financial playing field. However, stopping them is paramount and nothing else matters.

Stopping them is important but winning the Europa league in this day and age woukd

be the greatest ever achievement by a Scottish team- better than their 67 or our 72 better than any 9 in a row and date I say better than a potential 10 in a row.

the title wins on the most part have been a 1 horse race, how could they not win the previous titles?

Archived