They were robbed by injury

My earlier post about young Ness made me think of players who were full of promise but were robbed by injury.  Recall a young player named Iain McDonald who was lauded as a great talent but suffered a very bad injury and never hit the heights although I did recall he did make a brief comeback with Dundee Utd.  Saw a very nice photograph of him with Doddie, two young players in Rangers shirts, their future before them (think it was the Scottish Football Book).  Scott Nisbet also called time on his career too early and we all know of Ian Durrant who missed a couple of years through injury.  Who are the others?

Rozental , although I think he arrived with a dodgy knee and was abit of a fatty.

Amo , Thern, McClaren, Murphy ......

The list is a pretty big one , used to think it was the public parks we used but the problem continued at the new training ground.  Players like Gavin Rae who never missed a game for dundee then came to us and got injured  soon after. 

Also Peter MacDonald I'm sure he got injured after showing promise still had a half decent career and Peter Leven a left footer ended up at killie.

5 hours ago, BlueThunder said:

Kuznetsov?

This is who came to my mind.  Huge player for  Dynamo Kiev and European cup winner to boot. Think he done his cruciate two or three games in and was hampered for the rest of his time. 

such a massive disappointment 

5 hours ago, peter huistra said:

Rozental , although I think he arrived with a dodgy knee and was abit of a fatty.

Amo , Thern, McClaren, Murphy ......

The list is a pretty big one , used to think it was the public parks we used but the problem continued at the new training ground.  Players like Gavin Rae who never missed a game for dundee then came to us and got injured  soon after. 

Also Peter MacDonald I'm sure he got injured after showing promise still had a half decent career and Peter Leven a left footer ended up at killie.

Peter Leven is manager of Dynamo Brest B team now n in charge of their academy 

17 minutes ago, SK RFC said:

Maybe to a lesser extent but did Stevie smith not look like he was going to be our left back for years to come then got injured? 

Thought he always looked average bit like Mo Ross who gave 110% but technically they were punching above their weight in our teams back then.

11 hours ago, BlueThunder said:

Kuznetsov?

Anybody who was there to witness his debut would all agree he was a class apart 

Absolutley strolled the game and probably the most impressive debuts I’ve saw in a Rangers player ,even better than Laudrup 

2 or 3 times he was left himself with 2 St Mirren players breaking and snuffed them out without breaking sweat ,and very unlucky not to score from 30 odd yards when he fired a shot in Albertz would have been proud of ,never anymore than a yard off the deck smacked the bottom of the post 

his injury was a huge loss 

23 minutes ago, Marky. said:

Kevin Thomson was never the same player after his knee injuries.

First time I saw him he was playing for Hivs ,it was a league cup game midweek against the scum ,Hivs full of young players pumped them ,KT had just returned from a long term injury then too but looked absolute quality 

too many harsh injuries took their toll ,the boy could play that’s for sure 

Big Seb Rozental was the biggest let down for me. I thought he was going to be an amazing player for us, clearly wasn’t meant to be. 

Mols is another obvious one, but we got to see how amazing he was for a while before the Khan incident. 

Was too young to remember Durie before that tackle, but from what I’ve been told he could have been a real world class player.

3 hours ago, Brubear said:

Steven Smith was the best of the crop that came through the academy at the time of Hutton. Injuries resulted in him being an average SPL player but could have been much more. 

Always thought he was given too much credit, terrible positional sense and poor defensive awareness, the Ivan Sproule debacle for example and the way he tucked into central defence even when the attack was coming down his side.

Archived