Wilson and Fleck offered new contracts

Boab

Both should have been given 5 year deals on their 17th birthdays but there's no point crying over spilled milk. They both have 18 months to run on their contracts; a full year before they are allowed to discuss contracts with other clubs. Let them prove themselves worthy of a better deal at Rangers in the mean time and if they don't shape up, move them on.

Dangerous game, what if you give someone a 5 year contract and they bomb after a year? Not as easy as that, we can all be good generals after the war

Granted, but if we are to follow this business model of developing youth a la Ajax etc we need to look at this. Both Fleck and Wilson were making enough waves to be offered pro deals prior to their 17th birthdays.

You can still just about surf on Wilsons wave, Flecks has turned into a puddle, i could not wait for Fleck to get into the first 11 and strut his stuff, i am wondering what all the fuss was about i have seen very little of the play that was marking him out to be footballs next big thing, imo if he was at Hibs or Dundee Utd he would still be a bench warmer.

Wilson looks a player but now his heads been turned he will now be under more pressure to perform, any little mistake let go by the fans because he is a youngster will now be met with howls of derision, lets see how that is handled.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there are 2 ways to handle this situation ....

either sell both before the transfer window closes or put both on the bench for the reserves untill their contracts end!

it is possibly also time for us to reasses Murray Park! Is there really much point in developing youth players that will be off to England at the 1st sign of them making an impact at 1st team level? A few years back players would have been looking to make that move at 21 to 24 which would atleast give you a decent return on your investment developing the player! It might be worth considering looking in to youth academy partnerships abroad rather than having our own youth setup! A partnership with the likes of Ajax would imo provide us with better quality youth players than we could ever produce at Murray Park

I'm better at my job than the people I work with but my employers show no appreciation of that, in fact it means next to nothing to them. A footballer needs to do what is best for their short careers. If we can't compete then that is the way of it. No use taking Dundee united players and Hibs players then complaining when the same is done to us. All we can do is trust our management team to be fair and responsible, can't ask more than that. When you see us wasting money on schect like Rothen, When I see Kyle Havin-a-Lafferty, I'd be asking myself how much am I valued?

They are valued , we have invested a lot of time and money in them. I have no probloems if these lads feel the premiership is for them but i think they are makign a mistake as they won't get mauch, if any, game time.

Very, very angry hearing about this. I know we have poached players from other SPL teams, so in a sense we all have no right to be mad, but these two lads are way acting too big for their boots. Very disappointed in both of them, but will miss Wilson more than Fleck. If they don't want to be at Rangers, then f*ck both of them and their idiot agents as well.

I get the feeling this is some plot by WS to make the pair of them realise that we are the club for them, not who their agents tell them.

If they ignore this then their heart really isn't with Rangers.

If thats the case then they should be dropped to the reserves bench for the rest of their Rangers career.

Why a lot of players continue to use agents at all surprises me. Surely if its money they are after, sorting out their own contract would save paying the agent

The liam miller quote is fair, the two of them can fuck off to championship or league 1, proved nothing yet

I remember Scott Wilson and Gary McSwegan impressing in champions league but did nothing as their career progressed

I don't think they're holding out for more money.

I think they just want opportunities for first team football. Which to be honest, fleck needs. If he is to full-fill his potential he should have been on loan the past two seasons to a lower division side. It's best for their development tbh.

Always said we didn't give Wilson the time he needed.

Even when Bougherra and Weir were fit, Wilson should have been getting game time.

If we lose him, we have to place a portion of the blame to the club for that. The whole 'Weir won't play three games a week' thing paved the way for Wilson to get more time, but we went back on that.

What would you do if their shoes?

I think they should both be sold with 20% add ons clauses in their contracts.

They dont want to stay because they know they genuinly have no chance to develop under Walter, which is really sad, but we all know he doesnt believe in giving youth a real opportunity, unless as is the case with Wilson its forced upon him. Barry was in a similar position aswell when Walter was first here, and would have left had it not been for Dick Advocaat, the problem it seems is mr Smith.

Except one of them isnt an 18year old Rangers supporter.... :dry:

Unfortunately they are too young to realise what they have got, someone has dangled promises of riches ahead in the EPL and they appear to have bitten hook line and sinker.

See you at Hibs in 5 years guys.

Fleck in particular should look at James McCarthy and the difficulty he's having breaking into the first team at Wigan, and he went down there with much more first team experience than Fleck has had. Fleck really hasn't made the breakthrough that has been expected of him, and for all the shouts of he's not being played in his best position, at his age he has to grab whatever chance comes his way... he hasn't. For those reasons the boy should think long and hard about whether he wants to swap a big club in a small pond, for a small club in a big pond where his chances of getting a game will probably be worse as our financial position means blooding the kids in is going to become more prominent next season. But if he wants to go let him, he's no big loss at the moment, and it will allow those with more hunger to come through and hopefully they'll grab their chance.

Always said we didn't give Wilson the time he needed.

Even when Bougherra and Weir were fit, Wilson should have been getting game time.

If we lose him, we have to place a portion of the blame to the club for that. The whole 'Weir won't play three games a week' thing paved the way for Wilson to get more time, but we went back on that.

What would you do if their shoes?

In their shoes at 18 years of age with first team football imminent in the next 6 months - year if playing well?? no brainer.

Alan Hutton cant get a sniff at Spurs with numerous caps and CL performances, what do you think marks these pair out to be fast tracked to EPL stardom? wont happen.

They may squeak an extra 5k a week at a championship side, if thats their goal good luck.

There really is no point in beating about the bush. If they don't want to be here then we should sell them in this window for a combined 3 million.

Wilson has been lined up for a move to Spurs for years now and Fleck seems to be happy giving it the billy big boy act all the time.

Sell them and get people who want to be here in.

This whole situation stinks of agents badly advising their players.

That's a cop-out.

These agents don't rule them. They are both adults, they are both capable of making up thier minds.

Ultimately, they make the decision, not an agent.

If they want to go, let them. Tell them from Ruddie not to let the door hit them on the arse on the way out.

Only just adults, they are still very young.

If they don't wanna be here then fair enough, gl wherever they end up.

Some of the abuse these guys have got in this thread is pretty horrible. We have no idea how improved the contracts were. I am sure there is still plenty of time to think about things for these young guys.

I hope they stay, but we wont crumble without them if the decide to leave. If they have not signed by the summer then i would sell them both and get what i could for them.

WATP and we will carry on with or without them :21:

Money talks bullshit walks!

They probably been offered 2k plus bonus to play for us, agents probably told them Ill get yo 5k a week if you hold out.

Well good luck to them, I hope they like playing in the Championship battling relegation, instead of actually winning something!

Oh and I look forward to their Sunday Mail exclusive in a few years time 'If only id stayed at Rangers...'

they've both got a chance of first team football every week at rangers with european games each season but sadly they'd rather go down to england to play in the youth teams and be forgotten about in a couple of years before signing for the likes of hibs or hearts. another 3 or 4 years with us would be good for their careers and to make a name for themselves

Even in our present predicament in a couple of weeks senior players should be return from injuries and international duty, then we can choose to leave these plays on the bench or in the stands. Also maybe it is time to consider other promising youngsters to promote in their place if the opportunity arises

alex ferguson was asked a year ago if there were any youngsters in scotlland he would like he said there were two kids they were monitoring closely as he felt they could make it at old trafford. wouldnt be surprised if it is wilson and fleck . know for fact flecks old man is very unhappy at the way smith handles him and has been to see him twice

alex ferguson was asked a year ago if there were any youngsters in scotlland he would like he said there were two kids they were monitoring closely as he felt they could make it at old trafford. wouldnt be surprised if it is wilson and fleck . know for fact flecks old man is very unhappy at the way smith handles him and has been to see him twice

I don't think either are anywhere near UTD standard.....