Golf

kplfishtank

On 30/01/2020 at 17:53, They Gnu said:

Went to a golf workshop at celtic Manor today, interesting in the morning how to increase members numbers, sourcing grants etc. in the afternoon about a third of the time was wasted talking about how to treat and accommodate trans people. Furfuxsake s how many transgender golfers are at your club.

Simple mixed dressing rooms all round 👍

On 03/02/2020 at 21:01, lewislaudrup said:

Ive no played since september. Dunno if im gonna get back into it or just give it up, only played 20 times last year so really wasnt worth the membership.

I just use Golf now for  cheap rounds as I don't play very often either due to work and not actually being in the bloody country. Although I am looking to get a membership for a (soon to be 12) 9 hole pitch and putt with a couple of par 4s for £125 for the year to keep my short game on form.

Only downside is that I can't get a handicap , so does limit some clubs in the summer. Although I explain my job and show them previous rounds played and can generally blag a game without the handicap cert.

2 hours ago, mclovin9091 said:

I just use Golf now for  cheap rounds as I don't play very often either due to work and not actually being in the bloody country. Although I am looking to get a membership for a (soon to be 12) 9 hole pitch and putt with a couple of par 4s for £125 for the year to keep my short game on form.

Only downside is that I can't get a handicap , so does limit some clubs in the summer. Although I explain my job and show them previous rounds played and can generally blag a game without the handicap cert.

You looked into that Play More Golf thing where you buy 100 points that you use for greenfees?

I stopped playing properly a few years ago due to kids and I hardly played any medals the last couple of years to justify paying the money. I still play 3 or 4 times a year but 2 of those rounds are a golf wknd with mates and I can hardly see never mind play golf after about 4 holes.

I thought about taking it up again recently properly but it has become so expensive.  I would need a new set of irons and driver. My irons are Ben Hogan blades which are still in ok condition but the distance is shite. If I factor in new irons, driver and membership you are prob talking near £2k. Unless you are playing 2 or 3 times a week in the summer which takes up so much time it is hard to justify. 

16 hours ago, northern bear said:

I stopped playing properly a few years ago due to kids and I hardly played any medals the last couple of years to justify paying the money. I still play 3 or 4 times a year but 2 of those rounds are a golf wknd with mates and I can hardly see never mind play golf after about 4 holes.

I thought about taking it up again recently properly but it has become so expensive.  I would need a new set of irons and driver. My irons are Ben Hogan blades which are still in ok condition but the distance is shite. If I factor in new irons, driver and membership you are prob talking near £2k. Unless you are playing 2 or 3 times a week in the summer which takes up so much time it is hard to justify. 

Prices of new kit is extortionate £500 for a fucking driver that gives you 10 extra yards over a 10 year old one. No ta. Ive just bought a new to me Titleist 917 d3 for £110. Took that and my old Taylormade R540 (got to be 12+ years old) to the range and all I got extra was 20 yard carry (260 upto 280).

Irons are just as bad, I'm using a set of Wilson Staff Di11s (5-SW) that I picked up for £60 off facebook.

Wedges I've got a 46, 52 and 58 Titleist volkleys, they were £60 off eBay and yes renders my PW and SW irrelevant but the Titleist are much better.

Bag was £5, as two zips were burst but not broken just needed 2 new toggles.

Golf can be expensive but there is so much choice on good 2nd hand stuff.

3 hours ago, They Gnu said:

Our club is going to join it, you pay £350 for 100 points then use them for rounds, if it’s off peak it might cost 3 points or 10 points for busy times.

Not much use, closest club that currently does it is over 40 miles away. Seems a great idea especially if you can get round during the week as i suppose thats the best way to spend the points.

31 minutes ago, bigsasasfloopyhair said:

Hybrids look nice 👍

I tested the driver and was pumping my old XR Speed past it 😂😂

Got it to fill a gap between my 3 wood 15deg and 21deg hybrid, think based on numbers yesterday I’ll be closer to 3 wood distances off the deck with this club which will be great for 2nd shots on par 5s.

16 minutes ago, GovanFrontSince96 said:

Got it to fill a gap between my 3 wood 15deg and 21deg hybrid, think based on numbers yesterday I’ll be closer to 3 wood distances off the deck with this club which will be great for 2nd shots on par 5s.

I’ve made just that choice. 

Taken 3 wood away and included two hybrids (ping G410)

17 degree turned down to 16, which I’m carrying around 210/215 

and a 19 degree turned up to 20 to act as a long iron replacement. 

So much easier to hit too 👍

I'm in the market for a couple of woods/hybrids as well to fill the same gap (looking at Taylormade R15s as i've hit the driver before and got on well with it), but i've got all the way from my 5 Iron carrying about 190 (215 total) to my driver at 280 carry (300-310+ total), although i expect that gap to widen slightly as i get used to the driver. Got a bad fade that i can't get rid of, if i try to rip it.

The gap suggests i'd need 4 clubs but think i can get away with 2. Maybe a 17 degrees and a one around about 23 degree, so a 3 wood and 3 hybrid.

1 minute ago, dummiesoot said:

Practising bad habits is not a start.get a lesson then practise good habits is a start :tu:

But just hitting balls after a break is a start and never recommend going straight into a lesson. You need to be swinging to actually take on board a lesson imo.

2 minutes ago, bigsasasfloopyhair said:

But just hitting balls after a break is a start and never recommend going straight into a lesson. You need to be swinging to actually take on board a lesson imo.

We can agree to disagree on that, yes a loosener hit then a lesson but 100 balls is far too many of repetition of bad swings

45 minutes ago, Steelydan1690 said:

My m8 was gonna  spend about about 2 k on a full rig out of Callaway clubs at American golf after getting fitted and hitting clubs etc ,hes only been playing a year but wont change his mind about spending big ,anybody any advice where he should go ? 

Not American Golf. Rip off merchants. Where’s he from?