Walter points out Celtic split discrepancies as well as our own

Boab

By Graeme Bryce, 17/04/2010

WALTER SMITH has long suspected Rangers have had a bit of bad luck on the split fixture front since he returned to Ibrox.

Now the Gers gaffer knows it for real - and has demanded a break for his side.

Smith revealed:

* In the 10 seasons since the split was introduced Rangers have had NINE examples of an imbalance in their fixtures against their top six rivals - Celtic have had FIVE.

* On SEVEN of those nine occasions Rangers have been made to play a top six club three times away from home and only once at home.

* On two occasions Rangers have played three games at home and only one game away.

* Over exactly the same period of time, Celtic have had five imbalanced fixtures. Yet on all FIVE occasions Celtic were able to play three games at home, with only one away.

* Celtic have NEVER been made to to play three away fixtures against any of the top clubs in the 10 years the split has existed.

In that time Rangers have been faced with that handicap SEVEN times.

Smith said: "I was staggered to find out how big that imbalance was when I looked into it. When I first found out about it I couldn't believe it could be true.

"I wasn't aware that was the situation at all.

"Having only returned to the club three and a half years ago I have to admit I hadn't realised the full history of this.

"It felt to me as if there had been an imbalance in my own time here, but I had no idea what the bigger picture was.

"Celtic complained bitterly last season and said they felt they weren't being treated properly.

"But when you look at it in the context of the 10 years we've had since the SPL split began, you can see they have been treated more fairly than any other team.

"The reality is it's been Rangers who have been treated unfairly in terms of where we play the better teams in the league.

"From our point of view that's really disappointing, particularly when you consider these post-split fixtures are obviously not compiled by computer.

"These fixtures are made by someone making a conscious decision about where each team should go.

"Therefore it's very difficult to understand why Rangers have historically had such an imbalance in our split, when compared to our closest rivals. Especially when you consider the fact that in almost every season it's Rangers and Celtic who have been competing against each other to win the championship.

"To make the split work people have to take conscious decisions in terms of who goes and plays where.

"I would like to know who decided Celtic never have to go away three times to a top six rival. And why?

"At the start of the season all our fixtures are done by computer.

"But when it comes to all the factors surrounding the split I would expect that's practically impossible - the human element has to come into it.

"And when the human element has come into it they have obviously not taken into account how much of an imbalance there is between the two top clubs in the period since the split started 10 years ago. This year we're again looking at playing three away games in a row, after the break.

"That's something we were told - even in the season we reached the UEFA Cup Final - would never happen.

"We were assured no team would have to play three games at home in a row, or three games away.

"That wasn't going to be allowed, yet it's happened to Rangers again this season.

"When you look down on a list of fixtures over a 10-year period where people have tried to make them as balanced as possible, you don't expect to find such an obvious imbalance in what's been achieved.

"What's even more surprising is Celtic felt the need to complain about it last year.

"When you study the facts, it's clear Rangers should have been the club doing the complaining, not Celtic.

"Maybe we have been a wee bit slow to complain in the past.

"But when I look at every season since this split started anyone can see quite clearly Celtic have come out of it far better, in terms of benefiting from the split."

Surprisingly, the one club who has NEVER suffered from the post-split fixtures, insist they had been hard done by because of them.

A Celtic spokesman said: "We have been disadvantaged by the split previously and would agree an improvement is required.

"However, until somebody is able to come up with a better solution then clearly we have no option but to stick by it."

Rangers and gaffer Smith, left will argue that statement from Celtic simply doesn't add up - and hasn't for a decade now as the figures show."

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/scottish/scottish_sport/785587/Gers-boss-Smith-wants-a-level-playing-field.html

I cannot believe Lawell and his love of sporting integrity has never once gone to the SPL and said, 'we are getting an advantage and its not fair on the others'. Surely they would never be so hypocritical about it would they? :rolleyes::pipe:

Like Walter, I too am astonished at that discrepancy.... this is just another example of how being a dignified club that don't like to complain too much will sometimes bite us in the arse.... For the filth to come out and complain last season is just typical of their mentality.... we have given them inches over the years and it can plainly be seen that they have taken miles....

The split needs to scrapped to preserve the integrity of the competition, we are being unfairly handicapped repeatedly and until this year I have to confess I hadn't even noticed.

We won two last day titles that we might have been further ahead and two seasons ago we lost on the last day when we might have won had we been given a more balanced fixture list.... (2007-2008 truly was a tainted title).... these decisions over who plays where have a huge bearing on the destination of the title

The dignity again shown by WS is why Rangers and him are made for each other. He dosent play this victim mentality of the taigs, he just brings it up states the facts and calmly gets on with it.

SWS blue and white army

very very interesting Walter...and as poster above said its good form to bring it up when we are in a position of strength in the league...in contrast to Schellicks Whingometer breaking the scale with 'the refs are against us' campaign not long before they sacked TM exposing their dodgy tactics big time.

Walter is doing a really good job standing up for the club and in a dignified manner as well

He had a wee dig at them again today in his interview.

Although I never noticed until Neil McCann said so. :lol:

Yeah i noticed that too, before Ali and Neil pointed it out. Was perfectly turned around on David Tanner. He asked walter if the side was suffering under pressure from celtic recently and he simply said his side are suffering from the lack off pressure from other sides.

I Have to agree with him, the team must have it in their heads that its won and it doesnt help when it has been splashed about in the mhedia since the last OF Game.

The whole spilt is a joke, especially when titles have been won on goal difference, how is it fair that we go to Shittodrie 3 times, play bottom teams one at Ibrox yet the tilte can be won or lost by a couple of goals. Both times we won v O'squeel we played at the sheep 3 times, how the fuck is that fair?

Get right fucking into that cunt Lawell Watty.

Well said Walter. Never a truer word spoken.

Especially enjoyed his comment about how we've been too slow in the past to defend ourselves or something to that effect.

What next Walter?.

Why Celtic FC ,after the tragic death of Phil O Donnell,( non-celtic player of many years) could not console themselves enough, to take part,a week later, in their next game versus Rangers.

Nothing of course to do with the fact that key players were injured or banned.

Compare this grieving to the death of `Celtic Legend & employee 'of Celtic ,Tommy Burns.

The bastards could not wait to play their next game one week later,which incidentally

won them the title.?????

What next Walter?.

Why Celtic FC ,after the tragic death of Phil O Donnell,( non-celtic player of many years) could not console themselves enough, to take part,a week later, in their next game versus Rangers.

Nothing of course to do with the fact that key players were injured or banned.

Compare this grieving to the death of `Celtic Legend & employee 'of Celtic ,Tommy Burns.

The bastards could not wait to play their next game one week later,which incidentally

won them the title.?????

Wattie knows like the rest of us ,how low these cents can stoop.

By Graeme Bryce, 17/04/2010

WALTER SMITH has long suspected Rangers have had a bit of bad luck on the split fixture front since he returned to Ibrox.

Now the Gers gaffer knows it for real - and has demanded a break for his side.

Smith revealed:

* In the 10 seasons since the split was introduced Rangers have had NINE examples of an imbalance in their fixtures against their top six rivals - Celtic have had FIVE.

* On SEVEN of those nine occasions Rangers have been made to play a top six club three times away from home and only once at home.

* On two occasions Rangers have played three games at home and only one game away.

* Over exactly the same period of time, Celtic have had five imbalanced fixtures. Yet on all FIVE occasions Celtic were able to play three games at home, with only one away.

* Celtic have NEVER been made to to play three away fixtures against any of the top clubs in the 10 years the split has existed.

In that time Rangers have been faced with that handicap SEVEN times.

Smith said: "I was staggered to find out how big that imbalance was when I looked into it. When I first found out about it I couldn't believe it could be true.

"I wasn't aware that was the situation at all.

"Having only returned to the club three and a half years ago I have to admit I hadn't realised the full history of this.

"It felt to me as if there had been an imbalance in my own time here, but I had no idea what the bigger picture was.

"Celtic complained bitterly last season and said they felt they weren't being treated properly.

"But when you look at it in the context of the 10 years we've had since the SPL split began, you can see they have been treated more fairly than any other team.

"The reality is it's been Rangers who have been treated unfairly in terms of where we play the better teams in the league.

"From our point of view that's really disappointing, particularly when you consider these post-split fixtures are obviously not compiled by computer.

"These fixtures are made by someone making a conscious decision about where each team should go.

"Therefore it's very difficult to understand why Rangers have historically had such an imbalance in our split, when compared to our closest rivals. Especially when you consider the fact that in almost every season it's Rangers and Celtic who have been competing against each other to win the championship.

"To make the split work people have to take conscious decisions in terms of who goes and plays where.

"I would like to know who decided Celtic never have to go away three times to a top six rival. And why?

"At the start of the season all our fixtures are done by computer.

"But when it comes to all the factors surrounding the split I would expect that's practically impossible - the human element has to come into it.

"And when the human element has come into it they have obviously not taken into account how much of an imbalance there is between the two top clubs in the period since the split started 10 years ago. This year we're again looking at playing three away games in a row, after the break.

"That's something we were told - even in the season we reached the UEFA Cup Final - would never happen.

"We were assured no team would have to play three games at home in a row, or three games away.

"That wasn't going to be allowed, yet it's happened to Rangers again this season.

"When you look down on a list of fixtures over a 10-year period where people have tried to make them as balanced as possible, you don't expect to find such an obvious imbalance in what's been achieved.

"What's even more surprising is Celtic felt the need to complain about it last year.

"When you study the facts, it's clear Rangers should have been the club doing the complaining, not Celtic.

"Maybe we have been a wee bit slow to complain in the past.

"But when I look at every season since this split started anyone can see quite clearly Celtic have come out of it far better, in terms of benefiting from the split."

Surprisingly, the one club who has NEVER suffered from the post-split fixtures, insist they had been hard done by because of them.

A Celtic spokesman said: "We have been disadvantaged by the split previously and would agree an improvement is required.

"However, until somebody is able to come up with a better solution then clearly we have no option but to stick by it."

Rangers and gaffer Smith, left will argue that statement from Celtic simply doesn't add up - and hasn't for a decade now as the figures show."

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/scottish/scottish_sport/785587/Gers-boss-Smith-wants-a-level-playing-field.html

Tell it like it is Mr. Smith, a Ranger till I die type of guy,love you Walter (tu)

2000-2001 Rangers three times at Dundee, Celtic three times at home to Dundee.

2001-02 Rangers three times at Dunfermline, Celtic three times at home to Dunfermline.

2002-03 Fixture symmetry for both clubs.

2003-04 Rangers three times at Dundee United, Celtic three times at home to Dundee United .

2004-05 Rangers three times at Aberdeen, Celtic three times at home to Aberdeen.

2005-06 Fixture symmetry for both clubs.

2006-07 Rangers three times at Hibs, three at home to Hearts. Celtic fixture symmetry.

2007-08 Fixture symmetry for both clubs.

2008-09 Rangers three times at Hibs, three at home to Hearts. Celtic fixture symmetry.

2009-10: Rangers three times at Dundee United, Celtic three times at home to Motherwell.

"He has unearthed startling anomalies between Rangers and Celtic's SPL fixtures over the past decade - insisting Gers have had a raw deal"

What the fuck is startling about 'startling anomalies'?

A blind man on a runaway Horse could see that Rangers have copped the short straw for years and the moaners from the east have got away with murder in the split year after year.

This would have been uncovered ages ago if Murray and his minions would have grown some fuckin testicles and defended our club instead of trying to be 'Mr Good Guy' to the point where every time we had a valid gripe about something, we suddenly became the criminals instead of the victims to the fawning mhanky mhedia.

Get up the fuckers, Wattie, and don't rest until you get REAL answers to this and not shitty mumbo jumbo excuses.