James Beattie

Gers1508

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

STOKE striker James Beattie will arrive in to Glasgow today for talks with Rangers and is set to seal a £1.5m switch to the SPL champions.

But the Ibrox club's bid to sign Rapid Vienna hitman Nikica Jelavic is all but dead as the Croat's cash wrangle with the Austrian side remained unresolved.

However, the news that Beattie is on his way to Glasgow will excite Rangers fans who have endured a two-year transfer drought.

Record Sport revealed in July that Beattie was on Walter Smith's radar and he will arrive at Murray Park today for signing talks.

Beattie's current £35k-a-week salary will be a stumbling block but Rangers are hopeful of clinching a deal for the 32-year old.

The Premiership club yesterday shelled out a club record £8million for Sunderland's Kenwyne Jones and want Beattie off the wage bill.

The move for Beattie comes as Jelavic's proposed switch reached breaking point.

Record Sport can reveal Ibrox chief executive Martin Bain contacted the Austrian club yesterday to demand a final answer on his £4m offer for the 24-year-old striker.

He set a 24-hour deadline for Rapid and Jelavic to come to an agreement on how much the player will receive from the transfer fee - and said the offer will be withdrawn if

no deal has been struck by this afternoon.

Rangers boss Walter Smith had hoped that the capture of his top summer transfer target would have been secured but is now assessing alternatives.

Blackburn striker Jason Roberts is one of the names on Smith's radar along with Beattie.

Smith and Bain are also still waiting for an answer from Portsmouth after lodging a £1.5m bid for winger Tommy Smith.

Record Sport understands the SPL champs made their move for the 30-year-old a month ago but were told to back off while Pompey fought a battle with the tax man.

They won their case last week and indicated that they would be willing to accept an Ibrox offer. Bain met their demands but has yet to get permission by the administrators

to open talks with the player.

In addition, the Ibrox club's hopes of signing Georgie Welcome have been hit by red tape after they failed to secure a work permit for the 25-year-old Honduran hitman.

Rangers will now look to appeal but Record Sport understands that will fall on deaf ears and their attempts to sign the World Cup star will end in disappointment.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/2010/08/12/premiership-hitman-james-beattie-jets-into-glasgow-for-rangers-move-talks-86908-22482116/

It's from the record so take what you want from it.

If we are buying him outright then he better be willing to take a serious pay cut.

If he is on 35 grand a week, then over two years coupled to his transfer fee would cost us >5 million.

No doubt once upon a time he was a half decent striker, but now he is old, slow and cumbersome.

With no re-sale value whatsoever, in our current predicament we would be much better suited in finding someone young with potential that can come in and do well before we pump them on for a healthy profit a couple of years later down the line.

Jason Roberts....... :anguish:

some people just cant be pleased (td)

Some people are so desperate for a signing, they will accept anyone!

If some don't rate a player, then they are hardly going to come out and say they do, just to please others.

We have limited money to spend, and £3m of it could be going on two over-the-hill, English rejects. Lazy signings, and ones which have got us in trouble before. I don't know why we continue to scrowl through the British market?

I don't get this 'he'll score 30+ in the SPL' - where does this come from? He may well score goals, or he might just see this as one last pay day, its not one I'd like to see us take a risk on.

Just another underwhelming signing if we pull it off, and one I'd rather we didn't. I'm sure McCoist will be happy to be left with an out of contract Miller and a 33 year old striker who's had a history of niggling injuries.

From Jelavic to Beattie, just shows our lack of knowledge and forward planning. We were linked with Beattie weeks and weeks ago, we were obviously interested, why wait until now?

Panic buy if true, because we have fucked about for so long of the transfer window.

If he signs then I wish him well, although I'd rather he didn't...

Gotta believe this is an agent trying to get a move into another EPL or championship side. We will NOT break the wage structure for Beattie.

Jelavic with sell on potential and wages of 18-20 K and paying what ever Rapid Vienna wants is a better piece of overall business thatn 1-5 million and 34K a week wages for Beattie. Feel someone is tellin Porkies somewhere

some people just cant be pleased (td)

tells me something about the people on here mate, any time we are linked with anyone half decent the same ones are very quick to jump in and criticise and say no no no , dont want him bla bla bla

its as if they are scared incase we sign a decent player it will dent septics title hopes

beattie has probelms with injuries but fuck me, he would do very well up here, 99% of the defenders up here are absolutely garbage, i think hewould be a good player for 1 or 2 years with us, hes not going to be debt crippling wages

:wink:

some people just cant be pleased 00000041.gif

tells me something about the people on here mate, any time we are linked with anyone half decent the same ones are very quick to jump in and criticise and say no no no , dont want him bla bla bla

its as if they are scared incase we sign a decent player it will dent septics title hopes

beattie has probelms with injuries but fuck me, he would do very well up here, 99% of the defenders up here are absolutely garbage, i think hewould be a good player for 1 or 2 years with us, hes not going to be debt crippling wages

boogie.png

If the guy dosent have a wonderfuly foriegn name or is no good in Football Manager thats it hes not good enough boogie.png

Im not happy about the reported £1.5 million for Beattie but if we could get him for under £1million that would be a great deal. The guy will score goals up here

Record said jelavic deal is dead

Noooooooooooooooooooooo

Can you not fucking read?

nowhere in the Record does it say its dead.

Record Sport can reveal Ibrox chief executive Martin Bain contacted the Austrian club yesterday to demand a final answer on his £4m offer for the 24-year-old striker.

He set a 24-hour deadline for Rapid and Jelavic to come to an agreement on how much the player will receive from the transfer fee - and said the offer will be withdrawn if

no deal has been struck by this afternoon.

Right sherlock point to where it says. The deal is dead

boogie.png

If the guy dosent have a wonderfuly foriegn name or is no good in Football Manager thats it hes not good enough boogie.png

Im not happy about the reported £1.5 million for Beattie but if we could get him for under £1million that would be a great deal. The guy will score goals up here

im happy with it, its a nice change from the lee millers and tommy smiths

(tu)

boogie.png

im happy with it, its a nice change from the lee millers and tommy smiths

00000042.gif

00000042.gif

Don't know what to read into stories these days,

Do we think the rhags would be running stories about a couple of players if Durrant hadn't said we made bids for a couple?

Beattie was a half decent striker but for 1.5 I would say no, the exact same for Tommy Smith, though I don't rate him at all.

Hopefully just made up stories from the mhedia.

Well 1st story about Tommy Smith looks a no go

Rangers will have to increase their offer for Tommy Smith if they want to sign the Portsmouth striker.

The Ibrox club have made a bid for the player, but it does not match the Championship side’s valuation of a player they are keen to retain.

Rangers first made an offer – thought to be £300,000 – for the player during the summer, with Portsmouth in administration. The Fratton Park side need to pay £7m, to their creditors, and Kevin Prince Boateng and John Utaka are expected to be sold in the coming weeks, but if Rangers want to pursue their interest in Smith, they will have to revise their bid.

“He isn’t for sale, he isn’t one of the players we’d be looking to lose,” said Steve Cotterill, the Portsmouth manager. “He’s a good player, and what’s been offered isn’t the figure we’d put on him if we did want to sell.

“We’re trying to get ourselves straight at this club and we don’t want to lose one of our better players. With the things that have gone on here, you have to know the market place to put a value on your player.”

It is understood that Smith would welcome the opportunity to talk to Rangers if a fee is agreed. Walter Smith is known to admire the 30- year-old, who can play out wide and through the middle, as he would offer depth to the squad. Cotterill, though, will not welcome an increased offer.

“That’s their business,” he said. “I wouldn’t be blaming anyone at Rangers, but I don’t know how this has got into the public domain. The other players who are left we want to keep. If someone does go, it won’t be at the valuations people are putting on them at the moment.”

Taken from the Day-Late Retard report above: "In addition, the Ibrox club's hopes of signing Georgie Welcome have been hit by red tape after they failed to secure a work permit for the 25-year-old Honduran hitman."

Whit??

This work permit issue doesn't appear to ever effect the Taigs.

Mexican's, Chinese, Japanese, etc.

Taken from the Day-Late Retard report above: "In addition, the Ibrox club's hopes of signing Georgie Welcome have been hit by red tape after they failed to secure a work permit for the 25-year-old Honduran hitman."

Whit??

This work permit issue doesn't appear to ever effect the Taigs.

Mexican's, Chinese, Japanese, guineas, koreans, new zealanders, australians.........etc.

(tu)