Alexander and Kerkar set to sign deals...

Muff

NEIL ALEXANDER is hoping to put pen to paper on a new deal at Rangers within the next ten days.

The keeper and his agent have been in discussions with the Club for two months and have almost reached an agreement on a possible three-year extension.

Neil, 32, has expressed his desire to stay at Ibrox and boss Walter Smith wants him to do the same.

Speaking today at Murray Park, Alexander said: "It's a great confidence booster for myself to know that I am wanted at Rangers.

"The manager is keen to extend my deal so I must be doing something right.

"It's fantastic to be at a club like this and I have been fortunate enough to play in four cup finals and in Old Firm games.

"I am very proud to be a part of what's going on at Rangers and why would I ever want to leave?

"I am very happy on and off the pitch and I love coming in to work every day.

"We have a great bunch of lads and we are challenging for cups and league medals and playing in the Champions League.

"It's fantastic to be at a club like this."

Walter Smith said: "Neil has had half a season when Allan was out injured then he had a spell when we won the championship in 2009.

"He has also been involved in cup finals.

"So he has had a fair share of games and I think he appreciates the circumstances.

"Allan has been excellent for us and it's been difficult for Neil but hopefully he will sign a new contract with us soon.

"Talks have been ongoing now for a few months now and we are hopeful that he will stay with us."

RANGERS are hoping to complete a deal to sign French-Algerian winger Salim Kerkar in the next couple of days.

The 23-year-old has been on trial at Murray Park for a number of weeks and Walter Smith has decided to go ahead and add him to the squad.

Kerkar is a free agent and as such can be signed outside of the transfer window.

Smith said today: "We are jut trying to get the full background before we go on and complete that deal.

"He has been training with us for a few weeks now and he has been looking good so hopefully we can get a resolution to that in the next few days.

"He gives us options in the wide areas. He can play either side and he has done well in the bounce games he has featured in.

"It will be a relief to the lad once things are sorted because he has been around us for a while now and I think he will be glad to get everything over with."

Kerkar spent three seasons with Guegnon in the French league making nearly 50 appearances and also had a loan spell with Calais with whom he played 36 times and scored six goals.

http://www.rangers.co.uk/articles/20100920/salim-deal-this-week_2254024_2159674

Great news Re Neil Alexander, a fantastic keeper and model professional :clap:

The addition of Salim Kerkar can only be good aswell, and hopefully he adds something to or left side (tu)

Excellent news on both fronts I feel, and it seems there is work going on in the background to tie Papac and Miller down to contract extensions.

Really, really, really surprises me, I thought we were going to have to sell half of our major first team squad and not buy any players before the beginning of the season. :rolleyes:

Excellent news on both fronts I feel, and it seems there is work going on in the background to tie Papac and Miller down to contract extensions.

Really, really, really surprises me, I thought we were going to have to sell half of our major first team squad and not buy any players before the beginning of the season. rolleyes.gif

No PIB its next year and THEN we will be stripped of our titles 10310.gif

This says to me one of two things.

Shagger is getting sold in January or next summer; or alexander is at the club he loves and is prepared to make the sacrafice of being back up to a better goalie even at this late stage of his career so he can stay with the team in his heart.

I hope its number 2.

Really, really, really surprises me, I thought we were going to have to sell half of our major first team squad and not buy any players before the beginning of the season. :rolleyes:

I warned you not to read darylls exclusives..... :sherlock:;)

I think Alexander is just happy to be at a club like Rangers. He'll get his chance now and again, especially in the cups, and has the chance of winning trophies. All it takes is a wee knock/suspension/loss of form to McGregor - hopefully that doesn't happen - and Alexander is in the sticks.

This says to me one of two things.

Shagger is getting sold in January or next summer; or alexander is at the club he loves and is prepared to make the sacrafice of being back up to a better goalie even at this late stage of his career so he can stay with the team in his heart.

I hope its number 2.

I think it is number 2: he knows he would not get the wages and medals elsewhere in the spl or the lower end of the championship and below.Great back up keper for us.

Brilliant news. Love Alexander as a keeper. More than capable of taking his chance and keeping his place, should the opportunity arise.

Glad to see we're taking on Kerkar too. Its a win-win situation : we either get a good player for a few seasons or a player we'll make profit from. Really looking forward to seeing him play!