Ally McCoist and Lee McCulloch Appreciation thread

Bluepeter9

Rangers Men Personified!! - Note the bit I had not thought about the risk of injury to Big Lee.

Rangers in crisis: Ibrox star Lee McCulloch offers to play for free as administrators prepare to wield the axe Mar 5 2012 Exclusive by James Traynor and Keith Jackson

lee-mcculloch-785456670.jpgLEE McCULLOCH last night offered to play for Rangers for free until the club has emerged from its financial crisis.

And Record Sport understands the veteran has also made it clear that, even though he could end up more than a quarter of a million pounds out of pocket, he will not expect any of his money back after the club is in the hands of new owners.

The extraordinary move will place the administrators under enormous pressure not to bullet McCulloch this morning when they arrive at Murray Park to start tapping manager Ally McCoist’s players on the shoulder as part of a swingeing cost-cutting plan to save £1m a month.

We can also reveal that McCoist has agreed to sign an identical deal to help spare as many of his players as possible from the firing squad.

But McCulloch’s remarkable pledge to pay to play for the jersey – waiving his contractual right to a wage of around £20,000 a week, while placing himself at risk of injury – may even have stunned the men from Duff and Phelps who had placed his name on a list of 11 top targets.

McCulloch instructed Players’ Union chief Fraser Wishart to make the formal offer to the

administrators yesterday as the clock ticked down to this morning’s expected Murray Park cull.

We understand at least four other players have also been in talks with Wishart over the weekend, offering to do what they can to help save jobs.

But the 33-year-old is the only one so far who has volunteered to go without any kind of pay.

Union bosses were furious on Friday when the administrators turned down an offer for the entire playing staff to take 75 per cent deferrals on their wages.

They believe the money that would have saved would have been more than enough to keep the club in business until the end of the season.

And they warned any compromise deals will be removed if even one of McCoist’s men is shown the door today.

They have also been angered by a warning from the administrators that, even after some contracts have been terminated, huge mandatory pay cuts could still be enforced on those players who remain.

The news of McCulloch’s pledge came as Paul Murray, whose Blue Knights consortium is believed to be the club’s best hope of avoiding liquidation, was in talks with the administrators, urging them to limit the job losses.

Murray met with top brass from Duff and Phelps at Ibrox on Saturday to continue his efforts to rescue Rangers from the hands of disgraced owner Craig Whyte.

After learning of McCulloch’s intentions last night Murray pleaded with the money men to see sense.

The former Deutsche Bank high-flyer told Record Sport: “If it is true that one of our players has offered to make such a massive financial sacrifice for the good of the club the administrators are professionally and morally obliged to accept it.

“My first reaction to this is that Lee McCulloch epitomises everything that Rangers Football Club is about. It’s about people like Lee and Ally McCoist – people who love the club and are prepared to do anything they can to defend the club and to save the club. It’s an incredible gesture.”

McCoist wants as many of his players as possible to be saved as he bids to secure a second-place finish in the SPL, worth around £900,000.

McCulloch has emerged as a key man, having played as a stand-in striker after the sale of Nikica Jelavic to Everton and injuries to Kyle Lafferty and Steven Naismith.

As much as i don't think McCoist is a good manager and i don't rate McCulloch as a player all that sinks to the background.What the 2 of them are doing is remarkable in this day and age and shows what true Rangers men they are.I salute them and nothing that happens on the pitch can ever beat what they are doing to help the club.WELL DONE SUPER AND BIG JIG :praise:

At 20k a week each i hope they have saved some of our normal staff from the chop with this gesture...well done lads, it sums the pair of them up. :praise:

If he was going anyway, it won't have saved anyone else's job. There's still no guarantee that the administrators will spare him as his wages will be an on-going problem. Either way, it's a fine gesture, if true.

Ally's comments on Saturday were proof of the nature of the man. Speaking of people having "wee fly kicks" and telling them to have a good kick because we won't be where we are for long.

His attitude, desire to be a winner and abilities were questioned as a player and we all know how that turned out.

The man is a fighter and will never give up on our club.

The put the boot in at every opportunity boys won't like this, I see some struggle to accept this gesture for what it is, they have a certain class these two and I don't think they are doing this for anything other than the benefit of rangers and those young ones around them, amazing gesture.

It's officially national pie week