Alex Mcleish Signings- Top 5?

stewaj3

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Big Eck gave him his debut against Forfar in the Scottish Cup. Putting Klos on the bench would be absolutely cheating.

McLeish didn't sign another keeper and I needed one on the bench since Ian 'Utility' Murray didn't make the final cut.

I think Murray would do a turn.

The signings of Waterreus, Buffel and Kyrgiakos in January 2005 after we lost Boumsong were all done in a financially prudent way and all played a part in helping us win the title that season.

Prso, Novo and Boumsong are the three best. Marvin Andrews and Kyrigakos were good in 04-05 but less good in 05-06 (tu)

In no particular order:

1. F.DeBoer

2. Boyd

3. Boumsong

4. Andrews

5. Arteta

I didn't like the way Prso would always end up away out on the left it drove me crazy.

Frank De Boer was undoubtedly one of the best central defenders of his generation but it is crazy to think he was a good signing for us. He came in towards the end of a season and only played 15 games. It was a pointless signing at the time as we were well behind in the league at the time and it seemed like he was just trying to get some games to be fit for Holland that summer.

Frank De Boer was undoubtedly one of the best central defenders of his generation but it is crazy to think he was a good signing for us. He came in towards the end of a season and only played 15 games. It was a pointless signing at the time as we were well behind in the league at the time and it seemed like he was just trying to get some games to be fit for Holland that summer.

That’s exactly why he came, signed as a favour to Wee Dick cause De Boer wasn’t getting a game at Galatasaray.

To think we chased eck out of govan because h had the audacity to make us a transfer profit overall and guide us to the last 16 of the cl

The protests against him during his last season were nothing short of shameful

I'd take him back in a heartbeat, for an Aberdeen legend the guy didnt have bleed blue for us while here

Prso

Novo

Boyd - terrific signing although not my favourite player

Hemdani

Andrews

Boumsong, F De Boer and Berg were all very good players but the 5 above gave more over a longer period.

Boumsong was a great bit of business, bought for nothing and sold 6 months later for £8m!

I was thinking earlier about how many good signings mcleish actually made? Who would make your top 5?

1. Prso

2. Novo

3. Boumsong

4. Hemdani

5. Boyd

Here's a list of signings

Kevin Muscat, Steven Thompson, Jerome Bonnisel, Dan Eggen, Nuno Capucho, Zurab Khizanishvilli, Paolo Vanoli, Henning Berg, Emerson, Egil Ostenstad, Hamed Namouchi, Gavin Rae, Barjim Fetai, Marc Kalenga, Dado Prso, Marvin Andrews, Alex Rae, Jean Alain Boumsong, Dragan Mladenovic, Nacho Novo, Olivier Bernard, Gregory Vignal, Bojan Djordic, Thomas Buffel, Sotrios Kygriakos, Ronald Watterus, Barry Ferguson, Ian Murray, Brahim Hemdani, Jose-Karl Pierre-Fanfan, Julien Rodriguez, Frank De Boer, Francis (Fox In The Box) Jeffers, Federico Niero, Danny N'Guessan, Filippo Maniero, Kris Boyd, Moses Ashikodi

I'm not including Arteta as id credit Advocaat with his signing, even though Mcleish was the manager when he joined, Its common knowledge Advocaat wanted him as soon as we played PSG and then as director of football, secured the signature.

Its pretty painful reading that list it says it all that if i did a top 10, by the time i got to the bottom it would look prettty grim, you look at some of those players there and think of the wages they'd have been on, plus some big fee's... I think Mcleish got very lucky that he inherited a lot of good players.

Players like Maniero, Rodriguez, Buffel, Pierre-Fanfan, Waterrus, Hemdani, Kygriakos, Jeffers, vanoli, berg, emerson, capucho, ostenstad... thats a lot of wages right there.

Id swap big Marv for Hemdani but otherwise agree with your choice. Frightining looking at that list i can barely remember Fetai and Kalanga plus a few others.

Why are some claiming Boumsong was poor for us, with a mistake in every game? :lol:

Absolute nonsense. The big man absolutely strolled his six months here. Yes, he wasn't great against Auxerre, but 90% of the time he was solid. I had access to a season ticket that year and vividly remember how comfy he was.

Why are some claiming Boumsong was poor for us, with a mistake in every game? :lol:

Absolute nonsense. The big man absolutely strolled his six months here. Yes, he wasn't great against Auxerre, but 90% of the time he was solid. I had access to a season ticket that year and vividly remember how comfy he was.

The only game I really remember him struggling in was a game against Hearts where Mark De Vries gave him a bit of a run around.

Buffel, waeterus, kyriakos and hemdani were good players and at different times contributed to alot of success...he did make some poor signings to be fair and that again goes back to the scouting network as he was operating on a budget...it seems its something that has been poor for a while! Tin hat on here but I actually liked Rodriquez as a defender as well...

Rodriguez was a woman. Not remember him greetin that the spl was too rough for him?