No Orange shirt

Was it not the Stuttgart chairman that couldnt understand why Rangers are frowned upon for celebrating their Protestant history? As they do it in Germany without any problems.

We are the majority in this country yet treated like a minority.

Firstly, religious denominational majority is debatable, the churches are hardly packed out. Secondly, Protestant does not equal orange.

so we should have a hoops top as a kit then?

No. Why would we? We wore a hooped shirt for a handful of seasons 120 years ago or so. I'm talking about maintaining traditions the club have continued with few interruptions over 141 years of history.

Tradition is a silly reason to do anything. Almost everyone who believes in doing something for tradition picks an arbitrary point in history to start from and ignores what happened before that.

Tradition is a good reason to do some things. It gives a sense of belonging and togetherness.

However, the idea that something 'is traditional' is used to justify things that shouldn't be done any more. The word is abused.

Whale hunting and female genital mutilation being justified as traditional are examples outside of football.

I understand your point, and it is a good point, but it's basically self-delusion.

I think saying it's self delusion denies what we are. Humans are tribal, it's ingrained in us that to survive we need to band together. Tradition helps this. It isn't delusion so much as a social glue. A good thing, most of the time in my opinion.

Aye we all have an instinct to belong to a group and this is the main reason behind a lot of our behaviours. We probably even have instincts to specifically follow traditions and a long time ago that was beneficial as it was the only way to pass on knowledge beneficial to survival.

But these days we have a lot better ways to learn about survival. The desire to follow traditions might still be there but the desire to belong to a group can be met in more productive ways than by following traditions that we know aren't genuinely beneficial or logical. It is basically tricking your mind into being satisfied. I think that, even though doing this might make you happy, the same desires could be met by doing things for more practical reasons.

Aye we all have an instinct to belong to a group and this is the main reason behind a lot of our behaviours. We probably even have instincts to specifically follow traditions and a long time ago that was beneficial as it was the only way to pass on knowledge beneficial to survival.

But these days we have a lot better ways to learn about survival. The desire to follow traditions might still be there but the desire to belong to a group can be met in more productive ways than by following traditions that we know aren't genuinely beneficial or logical. It is basically tricking your mind into being satisfied. I think that, even though doing this might make you happy, the same desires could be met by doing things for more practical reasons.

I agree, bin the bad traditions keep the good ones.

But it's not tricking the mind. It's working with it. Traditions do satisfy, but I don't see anything wrong with that.

It's like Sexual desire. We are what we are. We must take that, marry it with human logic and keep the good traditions whilst recognising them as that, and only that. They are not, as you suggest, fundamental to our existence any more. They are just nice things to have.

The tangerine/orange top was an excellent tribute to the Dutch players we had in our squad and DA as manager. A number of people took offence and implied that it as stood for something else, that said more about them than it did about Rangers. The sad thing is that there's an element of our support who have made the same mistake.

SDM was not the sort of character to push the orange angle and from memory I don't think there were any more orange rally's held within Ibrox after his arrival at the club. Having said that these may have stopped before his arrival.

Personally I always thought the tangerine/orange top looked cheap.