Upper Tier Tax Tribunal starts today

quinty

I may be wrong but is the Upper Tier thing not about them v us so to speak but them v the current law, they aren't arguing that we were wrong they are arguing the current law is wrong.

What they (HMRC) are saying is that both Rae & Muir have erred on points of law when reaching thier verdicts at the FTTT.

No witnesses or new evidence will be heard, just argument & counter- argument on the interpretation of how the law was applied.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What they (HMRC) are saying is that both Rae & Muir have erred on points of law when reaching thier verdicts at the FTTT.

No witnesses or new evidence will be heard, just argument & counter- argument on the interpretation of how the law was applied.

It was reached as the law cannot be implemented retrospectively, even after a change in the law, as it was legal when it was implemented. There will be the usual wrangling about the one who disagreed but that will fold as the UTTT will be hugely unwilling to over rule a decision already made with no further reasoning.

COS will or should have nothing to do with this and should just wash their hands as due process has taken place.

Doesn't effect us as it is anyway, the new company is not liable for any ruling.

It could effect us indirectly as some posters will blame Ally and the board (tu)

yeah and the bheast will call us Zombies and cheating H*ns, deary me how will we survive?

EdIt: I need a loan, may pop down to the co-op in the morning and call myself O'Rielly, bound to get an awesome deal.

Scottish Sun has revealed today that Lord Doherty, hearing the appeal, is a Sellic season ticket holder and shareholder.

Now im not the biggest conspiracy theorist, in fact i think the vast majority is a load of bull, but this really is stoopid. And i would say the exact same if it was the other way around incidentally. (tu)

Scottish Sun has revealed today that Lord Doherty, hearing the appeal, is a Sellic season ticket holder and shareholder.

Now im not the biggest conspiracy theorist, in fact i think the vast majority is a load of bull, but this really is stoopid. And i would say the exact same if it was the other way around incidentally. (tu)

Correct on all points.

He was the judge when Artur Boruc was accused of sending threatening text messages iirc.

Why is that not surprising?

Does anybody know the selection process for appointing a judge to sit on a particular case?

It seem an odd choice appointing a celic season ticket holder/ shareholder to such a high profile case involving Rangers.

Is it possible for Lord Doherty to be impartial? He must of been heavly exposed to all the negative propaganda spun by the tims and their media friends, which had us as guilty before trial.

Think they're appointed on the cab rank principle, i.e next available judge. As previous posters have said the appeal is centred on points of law, and as the the two who decided in favour were the lawyers........

This is HMRC exhausting every avenue in order to recover tax, it will not affect us at all, apart from the name calling, moral outrage from Spiers/Thomson et al, but could have huge implications for football teams throughout the UK.

That is actually unbelievable. Up there with Harper McLeod (low level paper gatherers). Surely a conflict of interest? Can whoever is representing the old company ask for a change?

To play a bit of Devil's Advocate here if Doherty found in favour of the original ruling you will have the great unwashed almost saying the same thing that he had to rule in our favour to be seen as being impartial.

Not going to call a judges integrity to question. Who he supports wont matter. Hes there to make a ruling on law with tonnes of paperwork from both sides. Hardly even comparable to the artur boruc case.

Its hard to see how a judge will rule different from lawyers when they all stick and read from the same code. Its only hmrcs opinion that we used them as salaries. They need concrete evidence

To play a bit of Devil's Advocate here if Doherty found in favour of the original ruling you will have the great unwashed almost saying the same thing that he had to rule in our favour to be seen as being impartial.

Sums up the taig mentality, whatever the result we are guilty in their sad little minds.

• 3 weeks later...

It's three weeks to the day since the last post on this subject, does anyone know how this is going?

Finished on 07/03/14 after a week in which both sides made their case for why the appeal should be dismissed/upheld. Apparently the few members of the public who attended were impressed by the smooth performance of Mr Thornhill in comparison to Mr Thompson for HMRC.

When you take into account this comes from those who have an obsession with "All things Rangers related" then i can say the case went very well for Rangers plc.

The judge (Lord Doherty) would find it difficult to overturn the majority verdict from the FTTT given that he is not a "Tax expert" unlike both Kenneth Mure QC and Scott Rae (the majority).

• 2 weeks later...

Finished on 07/03/14 after a week in which both sides made their case for why the appeal should be dismissed/upheld. Apparently the few members of the public who attended were impressed by the smooth performance of Mr Thornhill in comparison to Mr Thompson for HMRC.

When you take into account this comes from those who have an obsession with "All things Rangers related" then i can say the case went very well for Rangers plc.

The judge (Lord Doherty) would find it difficult to overturn the majority verdict from the FTTT given that he is not a "Tax expert" unlike both Kenneth Mure QC and Scott Rae (the majority).

so I'm thinking we should be hearing something this week or even as early as tomorrow ?