Charlie Telfer Signs for Dundee United

OzGers

Funny how Watte at the SFA rate him as one of the best in the country. He also plays alongside 2 united players who play every week 2 leagues above him.

They are both rated above £1M.We will never learn with McCoist in charge.

if the sfa rate him so highly he should be a regular in the Scotland first team surely. Household name who nobody has seen. Lol. Or don't they give youth a chance? And weren't those United players playing against our youths in the cup? Didn't look million pounds players to me that night.

And McCoist goes to nearly all the U20 games so knows who is ready to come through and who is not.

There are many factors to playing youths, 1 being not allowing them to get their heid kicked in by cloggers, or any team put out by Jim Jeffries.

I appreciate the sentiment (tu) but, have we really seen worse challenges this year than we do in the SPL? If we have, they've usually been done by Black or Moshni.

The whole fucking thing should be binned and started again, we've no idea how to utilise it.

Raheem sterling has went from being a 17 year old shagger with 6 kids or something, to a classy and important player for Liverpool and England, if Kenny Dalgleish was there I'd bet he wouldn't be anywhere near the first team, yet with Rodgers, he's flourished, Rodgers uses youngsters wisely, Flanagan is another example. McCoist is our Dalgleish, a legend, knows his football, but can't utilise his knowledge to coach or manage.

Went on a totally off topic rant - apologies

That's a bit harsh they were hit with a points deduction this season mate. (Without it they would have been in and around playoff spots for the majority of the season)

Also one man doesn't make a team.

I agree one man doesn't make a team but for someone who was 'playing out of his skin' to only pick up one player of the month award and have to have an award created 'Trainer of the Year at his club (Others won Player of the Year, Young Player of the Year and Players' Player of of the Year) tells me that either he isn't playing out of his skin or his best just isn't really that great.

I appreciate the sentiment (tu) but, have we really seen worse challenges this year than we do in the SPL? If we have, they've usually been done by Black or Moshni.

The whole fucking thing should be binned and started again, we've no idea how to utilise it.

Raheem sterling has went from being a 17 year old shagger with 6 kids or something, to a classy and important player for Liverpool and England, if Kenny Dalgleish was there I'd bet he wouldn't be anywhere near the first team, yet with Rodgers, he's flourished, Rodgers uses youngsters wisely, Flanagan is another example. McCoist is our Dalgleish, a legend, knows his football, but can't utilise his knowledge to coach or manage.

Flanagan is awful.

Isn't Dalgleish one of a very small number of managers to have won the english top flight managing two different clubs? Didn't he also take Blackburn from the old second division to premier league champions in a few years?

If he's one of the most important people in the u17 squad then surely he must be one of the best u17's in the country

Being one of the best U17s in the country doesn't make him one of the best young players in the country. A quick look at the last few Scotland u19 (hes no longer eligible for the U17s) matches have him on the bench in both games. Quite the role for the best young player in the country.

if the sfa rate him so highly he should be a regular in the Scotland first team surely. Household name who nobody has seen. Lol. Or don't they give youth a chance? And weren't those United players playing against our youths in the cup? Didn't look million pounds players to me that night.

He cant get a start for the Scotland U19 side.

There's massive hyperbole on both sides of this argument here.

It's obviously frustrating and disappointing that a boy regarded as one of our best youth team players has decided his future lies elsewhere at a time when we need to be developing our own players more than ever before and I think people are wrong to just flippantly dismiss it, but at the same time the boy hasn't proven anything yet and it's far too soon to tell if losing him is going to bite us on the arse or if he will be another in a long line of prospects who don't do anything despite the way certain people are building the boy up like he's the next Messi.

With all that being said I do think he should have been given a run of starts months ago, especially since the league was well over by that point & Durie was bigging up in the press as the next one who he thought would break through as recently as March. If we had given him something more than a 20 minute cameo appearance then maybe he would have signed another deal and we as supporters could have got a better grasp of just how talented he is.

Flanagan is awful.

Isn't Dalgleish one of a very small number of managers to have won the english top flight managing two different clubs? Didn't he also take Blackburn from the old second division to premier league champions in a few years?

I rate Flanagan (tu) a decent full back, a hard working one too. Not near shaws level but my point was Rodgers has got the best out of him by playing him.

Dalglish was a great manager, in the late 80's and early 90's, but football has moved on so much since then, he didn't adapt, he bought Suarez which was a great buy, but when he had a World Cup like he did it wasn't hard to spot (tu)

Much like McCoist, he only knows his way, or at least refuses to change the set up or coaching methods.I feel they're both stuck in there ways, you just need to see the Liverpool's fans reactions to Rodgers and his ethos.

I've the utmost respect for Dalglish and McCoist but I don't think they still have it in the modern game

A promising youth player shouldn't be in the position of only having 12 months left on his contract

the fact that ally doesn't play him pretty much tells me he doesn't rate him

why we have some sort of a youth set up baffles me, the fact accies, falkirk and other lesser sides do is plain wrong.

No bother mate. Rants are useful. McCoist also has to answer to his employers and what matters to them is promotion, hopefully that will change next season and some more young ones get the chance to come through.

McCoist knows the youth players better than anyone on here.

the fact that ally doesn't play him pretty much tells me he doesn't rate him

why we have some sort of a youth set up baffles me, the fact accies, falkirk and other lesser sides do is plain wrong.

"Lesser sides" says it all

I think the problem here lies with the lack of faith in the manager, for me anyway.

Telfer may very well go on and achieve fuckall in his career, he may go on to a good one but the bottom line is I don't trust Ally's judgement.

He chased an unbeaten season when he should have been putting the future of Rangers first and giving the young lads a chance.

He's made a complete arse of this journey back to the top, two successive promotions have been delivered, but at what cost to the future?

What a daft reply. Being thought of very highly for his age doesn`t mean you should be playing for Scotlands top team , but I think it should mean you got a small chance in the back water leagues we`ve been playing in.

Just because you don`t see players being valued at £1M doesn`t mean they won`t go for that.

Did you think wagamama was worth £10M ? didn`t think so.

and for the record they beat us at our ground in the cup. Why are united not afraid to play youths yet we can`t while playing in the totally dross leagues that we have ?

20h1utk.jpg

02 June 2014

Dundee United today announced the signing of midfielder Charlie Telfer. The 18-year-old joins the Club on a three-year deal after his contract at Rangers expired.

The right-sided Scotland Under-19 representative joins United after spending over ten years with the Ibrox club and will link up with his team mates when the squad returns on 30th June.

Manager Jackie McNamara said, "Charlie is a very gifted footballer with great awareness and has excellent delivery from set pieces. His style of football will settle in perfectly with the rest of the young talent we are currently producing at the Club.

"He is a sensible, level headed young man who wants to play for Dundee United and I am delighted that we have secured his services for the next three years."

Charlie Telfer said, "I have watched how the younger players at United are allowed to develop in the first team and that has been a big reason in my decision to join the Club. The opportunity to play in the Scottish Premiership next season was also something I could not turn down. When I met the Manager and saw the facilities that are available at St Andrews, I know that I can further my football development at Dundee United.

"United received a lot of praise for their football last season and it was deserved as it is very easy on the eye. I like to get the ball down and play and this is the ideal place for that. I believe I am ready to play in the first team but I have to show the Manager that is the case. I cannot wait to meet my new team mates and start pre season."

What a complete lack of ambition. You are on the road to nowhere now.

If he's as good as he's made out to be then I'm sure Dundee United will give him more game time than he would have seen here.

I just hope we got a good deal for him. Hoping it was the £100/200k I read we wanted. Plus potential add ons.

The shite about him only being here 2 years is surely a lot of rubbish.