Charlie Telfer Signs for Dundee United

OzGers

What a complete lack of ambition. You are on the road to nowhere now.

Likely game time, under a competent manager who can help develop youngsters?

Don't blame him. He'll get a bigger move sometime if he's good enough anyway.

Simply not good enough for Rangers is what am thinking we can all have a go at ally for not given youth a chance..aird.. Wee Lewis Crawford have all been brought through under Ally and have managed to stay in the squad.. So ill take a stab at he wasn't at there level. That's fine with me not every youth will make it n Charlie was just another one.

When you see our youngster leave Ibrox to join other teams and say things like this alarm bells start to ring:

"I have watched how the younger players at United are allowed to develop in the first team and that has been a big reason in my decision to join the Club"

"United received a lot of praise for their football last season and it was deserved as it is very easy on the eye. I like to get the ball down and play and this is the ideal place for that"

If we're not going to show faith in our youth players in the lower divisions then who can blame them for moving on. This kid wants to play football and he'll get the chance to do that Dundee United. Our poor football is something I've long suspected the players themselves don't like but these long ball tactics is something our manager obviously promotes. I remember watching us play Celtic (the game Wallace had a goal wrongly chopped off) and we had Jelavic up top on his own all night. Our midfield was sitting just in front of our defense and Jelavic was 50 meters away from everyone else at times. I thought our game plan would be to get the ball on the deck and try to control the game. Then the camera went to Ally and he was screaming at guys like Davis to "get it in the box". When the striker is totally isolated like that what does Ally expect him to do? Was Jelavic to win the initial header, bring it down, beat a few players, then score the goal with no support at all? We did this long ball shite with everyone. We had Diouf up there against Celtic, Lafferty up there against Hearts, Healy at times, it's a fucking nightmare.

We have no scouting system, we show very little faith in our young players, and we play the worst brand of football. We need change.

TBF tho big difference between playing for the 2nd biggest club in Dundee and playing for The Rangers..maybe he didn't have what it takes.. Time will tell

When I watched the youth cup final him and the lad Murdoch looked decent.

As well as a few others.

Here's just hoping they follow in Fraser Airds footsteps.

Work hard in training. Show Ally etc your ready. Then take your chance. Work hard and stay in the team.

Aird is only what 18/19 and has done it!

TBF tho big difference between playing for the 2nd biggest club in Dundee and playing for The Rangers..maybe he didn't have what it takes.. Time will tell

The guy just wanted first team football, this will probably end up being the best decision of his career. Just look at how good their LB is, all in the space of a year.

He'll be in a Dundee Utd side that beats us 3-1 in a couple of years, with him scoring twice. These things always happen to Rangers, I've seen countless ex-Rangers youth players coming back to haunt us in my 50+ years of watching Rangers. I'm annoyed at this, because I thought that he was a good player, who shoulda been given, along with many other young lads, his chance to shine in the last 6 or 7 games of last season, after the league was won!!

We sell our most promising youngster to a side that improves them and plays them while looking at a 34 year old ex player.

Am i the only one who is totally bemused by all this?

We're looking at admin yet giving ex players most probably silly money while "giving away" our most promising youth to a side we want to play against next season. :hanged:

If that was the case; why did we want to offer him a new contract? On more than one occasion the likes of Durie, McDowall (and even Ally) lauded the skill of this kid, yet as far as I can remember he barely got a run in the third tier of Scottish football even when we had the league sewn up in early March (officially)

Whether he ends up good enough or not is not really the point; because for me the point was that kids like Telfer should have been given at least 2-3 games to see what he could possibly bring to the squad.

Nobody expected Ally (rightly) to flood the team with kids,but playing 1 or two of them at a time would have given them hope of getting a sniff at first team football next season.

Best of luck to Charlie Telfer,whether he makes it or not under McNamara. :pipe:

As others have pointed out, this lad was touted' as a potential first teamer by McCoist and others - he was seen as having considerable potential. Whether he's actually good enough only time will tell.

However, the real point is that we didn't make any significant attempt to realise this kids potential when circumstances were condusive to a meaningful introduction to the first team mid last season - he could have had several games!

His comments are worrying and, I think, yet another example of the shambles that is our club at the moment.

No strategy; no direction; no encouragement - for anyone!

Simply not good enough for Rangers is what am thinking we can all have a go at ally for not given youth a chance..aird.. Wee Lewis Crawford have all been brought through under Ally and have managed to stay in the squad.. So ill take a stab at he wasn't at there level. That's fine with me not every youth will make it n Charlie was just another one.

Got to ask why more aren't making it - it isn't as though they need to break into an EPL or La Liga outfit.

When you see our youngster leave Ibrox to join other teams and say things like this alarm bells start to ring:

"I have watched how the younger players at United are allowed to develop in the first team and that has been a big reason in my decision to join the Club"

"United received a lot of praise for their football last season and it was deserved as it is very easy on the eye. I like to get the ball down and play and this is the ideal place for that"

If we're not going to show faith in our youth players in the lower divisions then who can blame them for moving on. This kid wants to play football and he'll get the chance to do that Dundee United. Our poor football is something I've long suspected the players themselves don't like but these long ball tactics is something our manager obviously promotes. I remember watching us play Celtic (the game Wallace had a goal wrongly chopped off) and we had Jelavic up top on his own all night. Our midfield was sitting just in front of our defense and Jelavic was 50 meters away from everyone else at times. I thought our game plan would be to get the ball on the deck and try to control the game. Then the camera went to Ally and he was screaming at guys like Davis to "get it in the box". When the striker is totally isolated like that what does Ally expect him to do? Was Jelavic to win the initial header, bring it down, beat a few players, then score the goal with no support at all? We did this long ball shite with everyone. We had Diouf up there against Celtic, Lafferty up there against Hearts, Healy at times, it's a fucking nightmare.

We have no scouting system, we show very little faith in our young players, and we play the worst brand of football. We need change.

In a nutshell (tu)

Being one of the best U17s in the country doesn't make him one of the best young players in the country. A quick look at the last few Scotland u19 (hes no longer eligible for the U17s) matches have him on the bench in both games. Quite the role for the best young player in the country.

considering there are older players than telfer eligible for the scotland u19's then its a safe bet to assume that telfer isnt on the bench just because he isnt good enough, making the transition from u17's to u19's will be hard

even then, he is in the scotland u19's squad, st mirren recently knocked back a big for one of their u19's players that was around 400k, how could we not have built up telfer, gallacher and other youths over the 3 years out of the top flight, keep the ones that we think could do a job for us in the top flight (even as squad players) and manage to wrangle a few hundred grand out of someone down south

we'll never again get a chance to have two free years to tinker with our ideals at the club, we wasted these two years we just had

when the likes of jon daly, ian black and nicky law are getting double the game time that our young guys are getting, some even more (crawford averaged 30 minutes an appearance), in a league where we had won it before it started, then imo that is wrong

and for the record they beat us at our ground in the cup. Why are united not afraid to play youths yet we can`t while playing in the totally dross leagues that we have ?

when they beat us at ibrox they had a 17yo in their defense and a 19yo who the season before was playing for queens park as an amateur

Thats because they don't have money to spend instead they turn to there own youth players we on the other hand don't

they dont have money to spend, they they are paying for our youth talent :dry:

we, on the otherhand, actually dont have any money to spend, wasting wages on guys like daly, black, cribari, sandaza, foster, smith (fuck me that list is depressing) to play in the arse end of scottish football was a disgrace, nothing more nothing less

the board, past and present, need to be blamed for allowing this to happen, and ally needs to go for wanting it to happen, combined they are holding the club back imo

no one at the club can see past next may, fucking frightening