Letter to Orwell Prize committee re: Rangers Tax Case blog

JamieD

I still can't believe that the clown(s ?) behind the Rangers Tax Case blog are the recipients of the most prestigious British journalism prize, and I'm feeling petty, so I just fired this off to the head of the committee. I'll let you know if I get a reply.

Dear Edward,

As I'm sure you're aware, the 2012 Orwell Prize for blogs was awarded to http://rangerstaxcase.wordpress.com/, a website supposedly dedicated to investigating the alleged tax evasion practised by Rangers Football Club. At the time that the prize was awarded, Rangers Tax Case was promoting utter fabulism as weighty legal discussion, with an agenda so obvious and with material so biased that I was astounded that your illustrious organisation recognised it in the first place. However, it seems that a great many people were hoodwinked by those behind the blog, not least the prominent Guardian journalist Roy Greenslade. I am writing today not to criticise the Orwell Prize for recognising this website, but to point out that today Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs lost its legal appeal against the decision to throw out the tax case that the Rangers Tax Case blog was so fervently portraying as a crusade on behalf of moral and legal justice.

Rangers Football Club was nearly destroyed as a result of this bogus tax case and the attendant media hysteria whipped up by journalists and bloggers like those behind the Rangers Tax Case blog. The repercussions of this journalistic attack on truth and the misinformation passed on as fact by the blog - which was given a veneer of respectability in the mainstream press after being awarded the Orwell Prize - has cost many people their jobs, it has cost creditors of the club a great deal of money and it has cost an institution of some cultural importance a great deal of its lustre, not to mention its viability as a force in football. George Orwell was a writer with a fierce sense of intellectual honesty. He was neither a propagandist nor a sensationalist. He wrote with a love of truth and a talent for communicating information free of spin. An award given in his name ought to reflect these noble traits. When Johann Hari was disgraced for plagiarism and for smearing rivals he returned his Orwell Prize, amid much well-deserved criticism from the prize committee. The committee did not wish for its good name to be associated with such underhand tactics passed off as good journalism. I must ask you if you wish your award to be associated with the smears and chicanery deployed by those behind the Rangers Tax Case blog. If, as I suspect, you do not, I am confident you will take action accordingly.

Great write JamieD....maybe we should set up our own Rangers Taxcase blog to get the truth out there and drive the truth down the throats of the haters.

Surely some sort of action should be taken against the SFA for the treatment meted out to our Club.

Nice one JamieD. Orwell one of my favourite authors and it was sad to see his memory trivialised by such a blatant attempt to play to the lowest common denominator of the so called "hard done by".

The irony is that the pro Catholic establishment in Scotland and especially the Glasgow City Council and pro Catholic media are the modern Big Brother, suppressing wrong doing by the establishments (council corruption, child abuse), trying to rewrite history using the Oirish excuse, suppressing our Protestant heritage, and stealing from the ordinary working citizen (whole streets for a £1).

Big Brother ? Not half as evil and controlling than the catholic mafia. Orwell would never have defended the indefensible.