A message to Rangers from Cork City FC

Adoniram

Sometimes it takes an Englishman to recognise the quintessential nature of The Rangers.

When Jeff Randall responded to a throw-away question in a Q&A for the Radio 5 Live website, little did he expect to have the answer repeated in two-foot high letters on a banner spanning half the width of the Copland Stand at Ibrox. Asked which team he supported, the BBC's Business News presenter said: "Glasgow Rangers...they are the quintessential British club."

It was immediately pounced upon by The Blue Order, a collection of die-hard Rangers fans dedicated to making Ibrox a loud, fun and intimidating arena, and their banner duly made its debut at the Uefa Cup tie against Hapoel Tel Aviv last week.

"It was not really a throw-away line because I meant it," says Randall (pictured), The Daily Telegraph's editor at large.

"Quintessential means the very essence, something in its purest form. And the thing about Rangers, it is based in Scotland, but first and foremost it is a British club. A lot of fans come over from Northern Ireland to support, and a lot of English fans, too. Like Barcelona, it is mas que un club [more than a club]: it stands for something in society. It embraces the whole concept of the union of the United Kingdom, and if you go to Ibrox you'll see the union flag is the one flying highest above the stadium."

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sometimes it takes an Englishman to recognise the quintessential nature of The Rangers.

When Jeff Randall responded to a throw-away question in a Q&A for the Radio 5 Live website, little did he expect to have the answer repeated in two-foot high letters on a banner spanning half the width of the Copland Stand at Ibrox. Asked which team he supported, the BBC's Business News presenter said: "Glasgow Rangers...they are the quintessential British club."

It was immediately pounced upon by The Blue Order, a collection of die-hard Rangers fans dedicated to making Ibrox a loud, fun and intimidating arena, and their banner duly made its debut at the Uefa Cup tie against Hapoel Tel Aviv last week.

"It was not really a throw-away line because I meant it," says Randall (pictured), The Daily Telegraph's editor at large.

"Quintessential means the very essence, something in its purest form. And the thing about Rangers, it is based in Scotland, but first and foremost it is a British club. A lot of fans come over from Northern Ireland to support, and a lot of English fans, too. Like Barcelona, it is mas que un club [more than a club]: it stands for something in society. It embraces the whole concept of the union of the United Kingdom, and if you go to Ibrox you'll see the union flag is the one flying highest above the stadium."

and as such the United Kingdom has relations with the RoI, in fact one of our biggest trading partners. In fact I seem to remember her majesty going there recently.

Storm in a teacup was a term used for things like this.

And as much as I love and applaud that, it makes me all warm and fuzzy...it has nothing whatsoever to do with this thread.

Save the pathetic "Please Love Us" shite to the scum.

This is cringe.

You can guarantee there wouldn't have been this kind of reaction if it had been Getafe we'd sent the letter to. Most of the anger isn't about 'please love us' shite.

Why would it be wrong to want people to like us anyway? As long as it's not snivelling and pathetic, which this clearly isn't, then what's the problem. People like to be liked.

I always maintain the Protestant ethic of defending the faith and myself...turn the other cheek, never !, much like our Monarchs. (tu)

You are at it. You are not defending any faith by slagging posters on here.

Probably why we sent congrats to a club known as the rebels, no respect for our Loyalist history.

The rebel part doesn't relate to Loyalism or Republicism. It relates to something much older, and Cork has been known as The Rebel County for a long time before Loyalism, indeed before Protestantism. The 'Rebel' came to mean something else during the uprising, but that is not the intention behind THE COUNTY'S nickname now. The football club simply takes it's nickname from this. It's no big deal.

It's probably this that is the reason for the letter. Maybe we're making a point....

Between 2008 and 2010 however, the club suffered financial hardships and management controversy and entered a period of examinership. Ultimately the club's holding company, Cork City Investments FC Ltd, was wound up by the courts.[2] Club fans however were awarded a licence for a club under the name Cork City FORAS Co-op and entered a team in the next First Division season.[3] The club subsequently re-acquired rights to the name "Cork City Football Club" from the liquidators of Cork City Investments FC Ltd.[4] Fans highlight the continuity of Cork City FC during this period as the former holding company Cork City Investments FC Ltd. was still in existence during its liquidation period when the name and intellectual property were purchased, and the under-age teams continued to exist under the name while owned and funded by the fans.[5]

The rebel part doesn't relate to Loyalism or Republicism. It relates to something much older, and Cork has been known as The Rebel County for a long time before Loyalism, indeed before Protestantism. The 'Rebel' came to mean something else during the uprising, but that is not the intention behind THE COUNTY'S nickname now. The football club simply takes it's nickname from this. It's no big deal.

It's probably this that is the reason for the letter. Maybe we're making a point....

Between 2008 and 2010 however, the club suffered financial hardships and management controversy and entered a period of examinership. Ultimately the club's holding company, Cork City Investments FC Ltd, was wound up by the courts.[2] Club fans however were awarded a licence for a club under the name Cork City FORAS Co-op and entered a team in the next First Division season.[3] The club subsequently re-acquired rights to the name "Cork City Football Club" from the liquidators of Cork City Investments FC Ltd.[4] Fans highlight the continuity of Cork City FC during this period as the former holding company Cork City Investments FC Ltd. was still in existence during its liquidation period when the name and intellectual property were purchased, and the under-age teams continued to exist under the name while owned and funded by the fans.[5]

Jesus Christ, some sense at last!

I have been to Cork supporting Crusaders, a team with nearly an entirely "Loyalist" support. We were treated like lords by the Cork supporters. We didn't have a single problem. Also work in Cork now and again and find it a friendly city. But hey, don't let facts and people who have actually been there stand in the way of petty ignorant hatred! They may have some dickhead supporters, but I'm sure they reside mostly on line, just like ours.

ps. I am as strong a Loyalist as any on this forum, do not give me the "handwringer" shite!

Must say they certainly have our well being at heart... http://www.peoplesre...887#post4140887

So your going to paint all fans of the club by one fans website? What the fuck do they think of us with ££ as a "fans forum".

There are times to separate the wheat from the chaff, I am not sure we now need to character assassinate them in order to try and prove we have a right to be outraged at this gesture. If you need to create a commotion complain to the club, personally don't really give a shit about a ball given but some of the things in this thread are being blown a wee bit out of proportion.

I am no hand wringer but some things make me uncomfortable and this is certainly in this realm. That team as far as i know have done no harm to our club and i see no harm in them receiving a letter from the board. The fact they may have some "bad elements" in their support does not make them septic or the rest of the SPL teams at the time. Think we have more than enough to sort out in our own little corner of the Union first.