Feeder club?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you think players would rather play in Scotland at Rangers/Celt*c or in the EPL with a team like Newcastle?

It's called being realistic.

Newcastle. But the willingness to be some sort of feeder club to Newcastle is bizzare and not good reading.

Fair enough if we, like we have done for years, buy/bring through players and eventually sell them on to the highest bidder. No problem with that. Problem with wanting to be Newcastles feeder club.

Hate the concept of 'loan' players - when all you are doing is developing them for another club. I dont mind loans for a few months with a view to buy, but I dont want us to be anyone's 'feeder' club - yes we may be a selling club - but that's different as we (should) get value for our players but a feeder / development club - no thanks.

We have to be realistic.We can't compete anymore with england and the days of players like Laudrup and Gazza coming in their prime has gone.

With Newcastle on board and a guaranteed entry into the EPL then we could entice a lot of good youngsters to come for a couple of years knowing that we work so closely with an EPL side.

It could benefit us in the long term.

Plus he may get a scouting system and some coaches in(real coaches)

I think "Reality" is a better description than "Small club mentality" do you think we need players of Man City standards to win the SPL or compete in Europe? I dont. The fact is we can win leagues and get into CL for much cheaper than English clubs can, so if we can make a good profit at the same time and entice players to sign for us then whats the problem? "Feeder club" is a term many dont like but in reality every club in Scotland is a feeder club to England. Its not like some League 1 side feeding to the EPL, its a much poorer league selling players at a profit to a much richer league.

There is a reason why Newcastle have made a profit while other clubs are raking in more and more debt.

'feeder' to me says not making a profit - we may be a 'selling' club (and thus targeting a return) but acting as a stepping stone JUST for Newcastle - no thanks.

'feeder' to me says not making a profit - we may be a 'selling' club (and thus targeting a return) but acting as a stepping stone JUST for Newcastle - no thanks.

Cant argue with that. I wouldnt want us to become like Newcastle reserves or Newcastles youth team or something like that. But wouldnt have a problem with us having a good relationship with them and loaning and selling players to each other.

You look at Vitesse in Holland who have a link up with Chelsea.

They get Chelsea's up and coming stars for a few seasons and have benefited ten fold from it.

Of course it's a bit different for us because as a brand and historically we are a far bigger club than Newcastle but the reality is we play our football in one of the weakest leagues in Europe and not many good player want to come here unless there is CL football.

Having Newcastle as a link would no doubt be a big incentive to player to come here knowing if they do well there is a strong possibility they could move up to the holy grail of football which is the EPL.

The only thing that would be worrying is that if Newcastle got our best players on the cheap, eg if Lewis went on to improve a fair bit and became a Davis type and then Newcastle could take him for buttons. Hopefully that wouldn't be the case though.

No matter what we are going to find it hard to keep players when clubs with more cash/wages (EPL and a fair championship side) come in for them given the way Scottish football is at the moment. Newcastle have done a great deal of business in terms of brining in for cheap and selling for inflated prices so maybe that's something we will look to replicate.

This would be the worry but hopefully we'd able to work out a compromise deal. For example, we'd get access to loan players from Newcastle and in return they'd get first option on our transfers. So for example, if Stoke came in and bid x amount for a player, we'd be obligated to offer him to Newcastle for the same value.

This would be the worry but hopefully we'd able to work out a compromise deal. For example, we'd get access to loan players from Newcastle and in return they'd get first option on our transfers. So for example, if Stoke came in and bid x amount for a player, we'd be obligated to offer him to Newcastle for the same value.

Yeah I think if it did happen then the above would be the most likely outcome.

You look at Vitesse in Holland who have a link up with Chelsea.

They get Chelsea's up and coming stars for a few seasons and have benefited ten fold from it.

Of course it's a bit different for us because as a brand and historically we are a far bigger club than Newcastle but the reality is we play our football in one of the weakest leagues in Europe and not many good player want to come here unless there is CL football.

Having Newcastle as a link would no doubt be a big incentive to player to come here knowing if they do well there is a strong possibility they could move up to the holy grail of football which is the EPL.

(tu) And the thing is Vitesse still cant even get in the CL, where with a set up like that we could get into Europe every season. This type of set up is a no brainer for me, doesnt have to be in any official capacity just a good relationship between the clubs.

(tu) And the thing is Vitesse still cant even get in the CL, where with a set up like that we could get into Europe every season. This type of set up is a no brainer for me, doesnt have to be in any official capacity just a good relationship between the clubs.

Exactly.

Newcastle would see the benefit of it I'm sure. There is a market in Scotland that is very useful to English clubs when players like Fletcher, McCarthy, Naismith, McGreggor ect all came from and have done well in England.

If it can be done correctly to the benefit of both sides then it's as you say a 'no brainer'.

If you think about it the SPL is probably a better league to play in before going to the EPL than the lower English leagues are, its a tougher game up here, skills can be taught but hardness is just something that needs built from experience. To be fair few scots go on to become EPL shining stars but many many players from SPL have gone onto great careers down south. But id say it would probably be better for a player in his late teens early 20s to play in Scotland for a couple years then going to EPL or Championship than coming up through the English leagues would. Just a thought.

We'd be their feeder club. I don't see why our youth academy can't get good players through and Newcastle's can. The management team need more confidence in starting/bringing on young players. We're trapped in this MacLeod/Aird bubble, there are others in our youth set-up, for instance Craig Halkett who I watched at Victoria Park last season was very impressive.

Exactly.

Newcastle would see the benefit of it I'm sure. There is a market in Scotland that is very useful to English clubs when players like Fletcher, McCarthy, Naismith, McGreggor ect all came from and have done well in England.

If it can be done correctly to the benefit of both sides then it's as you say a 'no brainer'.

Sheffield United is a good example. They have talented Scottish players like Murphy, Flynn and Scougal playing at a good level. (League 1 and League 2 is miles ahead of the SPL IMO)

Should get good money for them once they decide to cash in.

Our best move going forward wld be sacking McCoist and getting a good coaching team with experience developing players. With Auchenhowie and a good youth development system we could make a fortune if we had deals with Newcastle. Clubs all over Europe are getting into the CL thru this type of system, we are missing out on it, the tims are shite in Europe but using a similar system as them we could go far.

The only thing that would be worrying is that if Newcastle got our best players on the cheap, eg if Lewis went on to improve a fair bit and became a Davis type and then Newcastle could take him for buttons. Hopefully that wouldn't be the case though.

No matter what we are going to find it hard to keep players when clubs with more cash/wages (EPL and a fair championship side) come in for them given the way Scottish football is at the moment. Newcastle have done a great deal of business in terms of brining in for cheap and selling for inflated prices so maybe that's something we will look to replicate.

Isn't that type of thing against company law? How can a company maximise shareholder wealth by giving away players for next to nothing?