Some people upset with MacLeod getting picked

Bonus

Rangers midfielder Lewis MacLeod's call-up to face the Republic of Ireland tomorrow and England next week received mixed reactions from the Tartan Army.

There is no denying that MacLeod is a talent but does well playing in the lower leagues of Scottish football warrant a place in the national side? Even if it is only a "team-building" session?

Aberdeen manager Derek McInnes has insisted that his players are good enough and can't understand why they were snubbed by Scotland boss Gordon Strachan.

McInnes said: "Gordon seems to be integrating a lot of youngsters who will probably be part of the team. He gets to look at them in training and brings them in for that experience so I like that idea of what he is doing there.

"I've got players that could be in that mould certainly like Peter Pawlett. But the biggest one for me at the minute is Ryan Jack. For me, outwith Scott Brown, he is the best Scottish midfielder in the SPL at the minute.

"I think he's only going to get better and better. I do believe we've got players at Pittodrie who can force their way into future squads.

"I totally respect Gordon's decision to omit my players at the minute and I hope it encourages my players to be hungry and show determination to force their way in. I believe I've got players who wouldn't let anybody down in a Scotland jersey."

Jack has played 15 times this season for Aberdeen, including four Europa League games and has scored one goal against a higher quality of opposition than MacLeod.

The Rangers midfielder has played 16 times this season, scoring seven times, but the height of the level of his opponents were in the League Cup against Inverness Caledonian Thistle and St Johnstone - two games that Rangers were turgid in but two games that saw MacLeod score late on.

MacLeod has impressed in the Scotland Under-21 setup but the likes of Hull City's Andrew Robertson, Celtic's Callum McGregor, Sheffield Wednesday's Stevie May and Sporting Lisbon's Ryan Gauld have all impressed against a higher quality of opposition and deserved their call-ups.

Did MacLeod win his place because of who he plays for rather than how good other players are?

Jordan Rhodes has played well for Blackburn Rovers but has been ruled out under Strachan at this moment in time simply because he doesn't fit into his formation. But Rhodes is surely good enough to be a Scotland striker.

How about Derby County's Johnny Russell? He has impressed since his move from Dundee United and has linked up well with strike partner Chris Martin. With the withdrawal of teammate Craig Bryson through injury, Russell has finally been rewarded with a call-up - but should have been ahead of MacLeod.

Then we have another Aberdeen midfielder, Pawlett, one of the Dons' top players in recent seasons - called up for the friendly against Nigeria in May yet not since. Why not?

Bournemouth's Ryan Fraser is another that has been snubbed despite playing 13 times for the English Championship side, who are currently top of the table.

Stuart Armstrong, despite coming back from injury, certainly deserves a call-up for his performances since making his debut for Dundee United in November 2010.

What of Ali Crawford? Sixteen games and five goals for high-flying Hamilton Accies. Yet despite impressing significantly he has been snubbed as well.

Now if you are want a serious candidate for one of Scotland's brightest talents, why not Real Madrid's Jack Harper? While younger than those listed above, to play for Real Madrid - even at youth level - makes you no slouch. So why not give this kid a morale-boosting team-building session with the seniors?

As the Evening Express's Anthony Joseph wrote recently: "Hearing the news that Rangers midfielder Lewis Macleod has been called up today must be a right kick in the teeth for any on-form Scottish Premiership player who is eligible for the national team."

Would MacLeod have been handed a call-up if he wasn't playing for Rangers? I think not.

Source: http://www.morningstaronline.co.uk/a-68af-Strachan-ignores-plenty-of-Scottish-talent-with-MacLeod-pick

Sad that some people can't see what a talented player he is and think he's just getting picked because he plays for Rangers we've only got one player in the squad ffs

Jack has played 15 times this season for Aberdeen, including four Europa League games and has scored one goal against a higher quality of opposition than MacLeod.

The Rangers midfielder has played 16 times this season, scoring seven times, but the height of the level of his opponents were in the League Cup against Inverness Caledonian Thistle and St Johnstone - two games that Rangers were turgid in but two games that saw MacLeod score late on.

They sound really pissed off because we beat two of the spfl teams and in both games macleod scored haha bhitter twats.

Jack has played...... the rangers midfielder has played.... cmon to fook anyone can see the bhitterness spewing right there. he is one of scotlands best young talents and has been called up to get a taste of the national team and to build some confidence is this what the country has devolved into?

I'm sure Mark Wotte singled out MacLeod as the hottest prospect in the under 21s and of a similar level to Gauld.

No surprise that some people would have a problem with his selection though, anything to do with Rangers seems to rile a lot of these aresholes that follow scottish fitba.