Walter - "Ally hung out to dry by board"

Gandalf the Blue

WALTER Smith last night accused the Rangers board of making Ally McCoist the worst prepared manager in their history.

The former boss gave a withering assessment of the men at the top of the marble staircase and claimed they’ve hung McCoist out to dry.

Smith spoke out in strong support of McCoist in Glasgow in front of an audience of 750 at a question and answer session during a charity dinner.

The ex-chairman accused the current regime of failing to back the boss and said boardroom instability is also hampering the team.

Asked to reflect on the work of McCoist, who was at the event, Smith said: “Ally will need a little help – in the last three years he has had none whatsoever.

“I was fortunate enough to be given great support by the likes of David Murray with the signings I was allowed to make.

“People are casting aspersions on Ally’s ability but if I ever had doubts about him I would never have recommended him for the job.

“No club can be successful until it is well run from the top, it’s the single determining factor in how well the team plays.

“I wish Ally could be given that opportunity but it isn’t being afforded him. Ally is bearing up well under the worst circumstances under which any Rangers manager has had to work.”

Smith also turned on former owner Craig Whyte when asked if he was still happy with his decision to step away from the club three years ago.

He said sarcastically: “I was quite happy to leave Rangers in the hands of Craig Whyte – well, he was a billionaire, after all.

“Where is he now? Costa Rica or somewhere? The wee b******.”

I put it in bold for you.

I'll try again....

Where does Walter say that in the article? The bit in bold comes from the journo.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Alex Ferguson chose his replacement whom he thought would be an ideal replacement.

That worked out well didn't it?

Least the one he choose had a history in management and done well in it.

We got left with a joker in a suit who knows next to nothing about managing a team...as was seen when Walter had to bail him out in the cup games he was given charge of.

I'm sorry but Walter yer talking shite. If McCoist wasn't being backed then he wouldn't be allowed to go out and sign the best of the SPL.

It really annoys me that the Ally backers on here use the excuse "aww Black, Law etc aren't of the quality of the past". No one that wants Ally gone is using that as an excuse. We can all see these players aren't of the same quality of the past or even the same money but we are still paying them a decent amount and rightfully expect better of the performances against fucking plumbers and posties. If he's still here next year and if we get promoted then I will accept mixed results due to the quality of players we have when we are playing decent teams.

There's one thing I will say for McCoist and it's that he's managed to remain in charge despite the instability for a period of time which is pretty surprising in comparison to other unstable working environments in football.

I think our situation could be better, far better in fact and I'd rather McCoist wasn't in charge based on the lack of progression I've seen in the last 3 years besides the bare minimum, but it could be far worse. We could have seen 2 or 3 managers by this stage like the Leeds situation or like in the Romanov days at Hearts.

Just a point about managing in lower leagues.Gary Bollan took Livingston from the 3rd Div to 1st Div and im pretty sure his budget was in the region of £350k-£500k nowhere near AM so what he has achieved is nothing that any half descent manager wouldn't have done and Walter wants more for him FFS Walter have a look at yourself.The club are laying folk off for whatever the reason and you want to spend more money winning leagues that aren't worth shit that any manager worth is salt could have won on AMs salary alone

I would say Queen of the South are the better example.

And also an example of the mindset of McCoist. He buys Nicky Clark who was scoring goals for fun in the league. He comes to Rangers and in McCoist's eyes isn't good enough to play as our centre forward. A player who has proved himself at this level must make way for players on much higher wages...who it has to be said aren't exactly scoring for fun are they?

Walter Smith bought success at Rangers. And what he is saying is that to judge McCoist he has to get millions to spend too?

The sooner we can move on from this McCoist love in the better the club will be.

Totally agree Adoniram.Clark scores 42 goals for QOS but cant start for us.Why bother bringing him to the club if he is not going to play on a regular basis.Not only are we bringing first team players to the club but also guys to sit on the bench where our own young talent should be.A total and utter shambles and as you mentioned and if we are all honest Walter bought the success where Ally has no money and no clue how to work,develop and earn his success.

Old pals act ... touching.

Yeah mate .It was only a matter of time before Walt came out with the lines for backing Ally .Wouldnt expect anything less from Walt .However it won't wash with this bear .I desperately want Ally removed no matter what happens tomorrow .We will win down to our experience and that's why I'm confident .

WALTER Smith last night accused the Rangers board of making Ally McCoist the worst prepared manager in their history.

Quite possibly true. However he has had plenty board backing with the signings he's been able to make in straightened circumstances(second highest paid squad in Scotland) since admin. Walter is well aware of the widespread criticism from the support and he used this occassion to support his protoge. The preceeding history proves he is wrong and if we get humped tomorrow I cannot see Ally lasting too long after that.

The Board ? Which board btw ? Who is the board ? We know who the spokesman is but is he on the board ?

Charles Green used the Ally factor to sell season tickets, he then proceeded to sack the only scout we had. Which club apart from Rangers has no scouting network? How's that supporting the manager ?

As for Nicky Clark, he was doing great this season alongside Boyd, I'll give you that and he has been, based on these performances hard done by. However I have to say Nicky's displays up to this season made me wonder how did he get the 42 goals. He is a much improved player this season, or if that isn't correct, his performances this season are much improved. Should we give some credit to Kenny Miller ?

Totally agree Adoniram.Clark scores 42 goals for QOS but cant start for us.Why bother bringing him to the club if he is not going to play on a regular basis.Not only are we bringing first team players to the club but also guys to sit on the bench where our own young talent should be.A total and utter shambles and as you mentioned and if we are all honest Walter bought the success where Ally has no money and no clue how to work,develop and earn his success.

Did we bring Nicky Clark on against Alloa? Was that not his chance to show he's good enough. A game which would have put serious pressure on our rivals. Blame Ally for many things but players need to get some of the blame too. If they cannot lift themselves to perform in critical games they need to have a good hard look at themselves.

That will be the same Clark who was brought on with 10 mins to go gainst Allo. Great chance to make an impression the same as young Aird brought on at half time to change a game that was already lost against Hibs at Ibrox. Tactical geniuses we have sitting in the dugout.

That will be the same Clark who was brought on with 10 mins to go gainst Allo. Great chance to make an impression the same as young Aird brought on at half time to change a game that was already lost against Hibs at Ibrox. Tactical geniuses we have sitting in the dugout.

I actually laughed when I read that crap about Clark being to blame for not scoring in his massive 10 minutes on the park.

You can't argue with stupidity like that.