Walter - "Ally hung out to dry by board"

Gandalf the Blue

WALTER Smith last night accused the Rangers board of making Ally McCoist the worst prepared manager in their history.

The former boss gave a withering assessment of the men at the top of the marble staircase and claimed they’ve hung McCoist out to dry.

Smith spoke out in strong support of McCoist in Glasgow in front of an audience of 750 at a question and answer session during a charity dinner.

The ex-chairman accused the current regime of failing to back the boss and said boardroom instability is also hampering the team.

Asked to reflect on the work of McCoist, who was at the event, Smith said: “Ally will need a little help – in the last three years he has had none whatsoever.

“I was fortunate enough to be given great support by the likes of David Murray with the signings I was allowed to make.

“People are casting aspersions on Ally’s ability but if I ever had doubts about him I would never have recommended him for the job.

“No club can be successful until it is well run from the top, it’s the single determining factor in how well the team plays.

“I wish Ally could be given that opportunity but it isn’t being afforded him. Ally is bearing up well under the worst circumstances under which any Rangers manager has had to work.”

Smith also turned on former owner Craig Whyte when asked if he was still happy with his decision to step away from the club three years ago.

He said sarcastically: “I was quite happy to leave Rangers in the hands of Craig Whyte – well, he was a billionaire, after all.

“Where is he now? Costa Rica or somewhere? The wee b******.”

Thoughts?

I agree that Ally has had a hell of a lot to put up with as manager. However, I think hes been backed quite well by the board. Hung out to dry is a bit strong.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No wonder McCoist is thinking he's doing a good job when all his mates are telling him that's the case.

No offence Walter, but he's amassed a team that's the second highest paid in Scottish football. How much more support do you want? Don't get me wrong, things are shockingly run at board room level, all these failed takeover/cash injection bids aren't helping either. No idea how that stops us from working on shapes in training, ball retention or why Ricky Foster, Law, Jig and Boyd are still in the squad after poor performances.

I dont remember Walter considering himself lucky when mintys spending led to the bank taking control and running the club.

He may have been a great manager, but hes either too loyal or a very poor judge of ability if he thinks Ally has any potential as a manager.

I can remember a lot of fans were concerned at Allys record when he was taking the cup games under Walter. Nothing he has done since has been any better.

Blaming the board is very poor. They dont buy, train or pick the team. The buck stops with Ally and his management team.

And yet on tv when he was a studio guest Smith had questioned what ally was doing playing certain players in positions or not playing players who deserved a start.

Double standards, ally picked the players who should be good enough to win the championship but his failure at managing them shines through

Not sure how to change the topic heading folks, to remove quotation marks. I see that Walter didnt actually utter those words (daily record at it again).

Although he is still implying that Ally hasnt had the transfer backing he enjoyed. Which is true, but I believe we have the resources to be doing better than we are.

No wonder McCoist is thinking he's doing a good job when all his mates are telling him that's the case.

No offence Walter, but he's amassed a team that's the second highest paid in Scottish football. How much more support do you want? Don't get me wrong, things are shockingly run at board room level, all these failed takeover/cash injection bids aren't helping either. No idea how that stops us from working on shapes in training, ball retention or why Ricky Foster, Law, Jig and Boyd are still in the squad after poor performances.

It compares to talentless people on X Factor....."but everyone said I was a great singer..."

said it before AM learned his trade from the wrong man.Walters idea of youth development was letting everyone else take the risks with Naismiths, Thomson, Whittaker,etc and then going in and offering mad money.Is this the same management team which found us such gems as Kyle Fucking Lafferty and that other bright young star of the future Kirk Broadfoot. AM should have been sent elsewhere to learn his trade like most other managers in lower leagues with minimum budgets and see how he got on.If it was good enough for Alex Ferguson should have been good enough for AM.

A shame Walter has came out with that.

He had signed spl standard players or above apart from Nicky Clark. Most have won cups, played at some point in Europe, won titles etc etc.

All have more than enough experience to win this league and challenge for the spl. IMO on paper our starting 11 is the 2nd best in the country. Its the manager that puts it into practice and doesnt play players in the right positions.

We have the all time spl scorer who couldnt hit a barn door.

Temps who had just scored at anfield and left defenders on their arse.

Foster has played in the English championship

Nicky law was carrying the Motherwell team at the time.

Nicky clark scored 42 goals the season we signed him

Ian Black was the best Scottish midfielder in the country

Even cammy bell was a decent stopper now when he plays he just stands and flaps about

Even wallace has regressed slightly this season.

The buck stops at the manager and it should do. He has dragged us down to a level of mediocrity that some fans are actually accepting as the Rangers way.

When was the last time more than half of our fan base were actually worried about going to Tynecastle and the fact its the biggest game of the season when the fact is we should be going there 6 points infront with the resources, facilities and players we have.