The Newcastle 5

cushynumber

FORMER Rangers and Newcastle defender Olivier Bernard claims Mike Ashley has just "guaranteed" the Light Blues' return to Scotland's top flight after sending five of his Magpies recruits north on loan.

Gael Bigirimana, Shane Ferguson, Kevin Mbabu, Remie Streete and Haris Vuckic are all due to report for duty at Murray Park tomorrow after agreeing temporary switches until the end of the season.

Rangers remain 16 points adrift of Scottish Championship leaders Hearts, with two games in hand.

But Bernard, who spent five years at St James' Park before sealing his 2005 move to Ibrox, claims the Newcastle quintet will see them secure safe passage through the play-offs at least.

The 35-year-old, who still lives in the North East, said: "Rangers are desperate for points to ensure they get promotion. These players are good enough to see them back to the Premiership. Three of them have already played at Premier League level in England, so know what will be expected of them.

"Rangers will finish in the top two now and will be good enough to go through the play-offs, that's a guarantee.

"I believe with these five players Rangers will only go from strength to strength

In an interview with the PA, Bernard added: "I've followed the Newcastle young lads for the past two years and I can tell the Rangers fans they've got their hands on some great players," he said.

"Two out of the five will go straight into the team - Vuckic and Streete. The others will probably be in and around the side at some point this season but they are all fantastic lads.

"Vuckic is a fantastic player. Rangers are quite lucky to get their hands on a raw talent like him. He's not developed fully but he has already played in the Premier League and showed some exciting things, so I think he'll settle fairly quickly.

"Streete is a centre-back who has been on loan at Port Vale and is good enough to go straight into this Rangers team.

"I'd guarantee that those two will feature fairly quickly - the rest are young but exciting players who might need more time."

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Vuckic is the one im most excited about and the only one I have actually seen play!

I don't know who will be dropped to accommodate the centre half, can't see it being Mcculloch...

not seen any of them mate - so thought someone close to thems opinion might be valid as most of us are guessing/hoping a bit.

This reads to me like someone who has been put on the spot for a quote. From what I can see Streete has never played for the Newcastle full team and has had 2 starts for Port Vale....not someone to be dropped in against Raith and then Hivs

That being said, MacGregor did himself no favors with losing Griffiths on that first goal.

I'm a root cause of the problem type of guy me, so, see that defending from the throw in? Fucking school yard shite. 3 players just stood and let the cunt put the ball in. Wallace, Smith and Black are at fault for that goal. All Macgregor done was get caught under the ball. Watch it again, Foster fucking shirks the challenge with Cluedo head as well.

Even still getting promotion is a big ask.

16 pts behind with 2 games in hand. win them both, that's 10 points.

We still need to play Hearts twice. Win them both, that's 4 points.

If we want to win the league, we're really looking at a scenario where we win pretty much every single game from now til the end of the season... without a manager no less. 5 Kids from Newcastle isn't enough to get that kind of result given the state we're in.

We're really looking at play-offs which is no given. Essentially a mini-cup that will involve a Hibs team that seems to have turned it round and if we make the "final" it will be an SPL team who finished 2nd bottom. This is probably the more realistic option and we would be favourites to win a play-off mini-tournament, but it's certainly no given.

I haven't seen them play but they can't be any worse than the team of incompetent cowards that couldn't create a chance against the scum.

Quite simply I would welcome 11 new names on sheet against Raith Rovers and if none of the duds from Sunday play for us again then so be it.

None of them are worth losing any sleep over. No matter what happens in the future Rangers can never perform lower than not creating a chance against the scum and players being relieved it was only 2 0.

Even still getting promotion is a big ask.

16 pts behind with 2 games in hand. win them both, that's 10 points.

We still need to play Hearts twice. Win them both, that's 4 points.

If we want to win the league, we're really looking at a scenario where we win pretty much every single game from now til the end of the season... without a manager no less. 5 Kids from Newcastle isn't enough to get that kind of result given the state we're in.

We're really looking at play-offs which is no given. Essentially a mini-cup that will involve a Hibs team that seems to have turned it round and if we make the "final" it will be an SPL team who finished 2nd bottom. This is probably the more realistic option and we would be favourites to win a play-off mini-tournament, but it's certainly no given.

I agree, first and foremost we must apply some pressure though. Win both games at hand and beat Hearts in re-arranged game at Ibrox suddenly its 7 points with another game between the two still to play. We just don't know how they will react to being under pressure, it's all been one big fairytale for them so far this season.

I agree, first and foremost we must apply some pressure though. Win both games at hand and beat Hearts in re-arranged game at Ibrox suddenly its 7 points with another game between the two still to play. We just don't know how they will react to being under pressure, it's all been one big fairytale for them so far this season.

Indeed, what we really need to is to haul ourselves into a title race. Hearts winning the league at a canter is the a gut wrencher really. If we can get ourselves in touching distance with a handful of games left it really will be game on and i think our crowds and attendances will have a renewed lease of life, I actually like the idea of a genuine title race again.

I'm a root cause of the problem type of guy me, so, see that defending from the throw in? Fucking school yard shite. 3 players just stood and let the cunt put the ball in. Wallace, Smith and Black are at fault for that goal. All Macgregor done was get caught under the ball. Watch it again, Foster fucking shirks the challenge with Cluedo head as well.

I agree. The three defenders you mentioned all looked like they were caught off guard at the throw in and were mentally lazy.

I agree. The three defenders you mentioned all looked like they were caught off guard at the throw in and were mentally lazy.

It's a blatant example of a lack training. This pish about Celtic playing up a level doesn't wash with me. Fine, they might be sharper and probably even fitter but we should have been drilled like a fucken Marine squad, especially in the lead up to this game. It's not the only example either, there were a number of occasions in that game where we just switched off.

Agree re the three wide defenders, but if you watch McGregor, he was ball-watching. Griffiths danced around him, from side to front to in behind where the space was and where he got the header in. McGregor never had a clue where he was.

It's a blatant example of a lack training. This pish about Celtic playing up a level doesn't wash with me. Fine, they might be sharper and probably even fitter but we should have been drilled like a fucken Marine squad, especially in the lead up to this game. It's not the only example either, there were a number of occasions in that game where we just switched off.

This.

Both goals were down to a lack of effort and urgency from our players, nothing more.

A cross that was not closed down leasing to a short striker beating 2 CBs to the ball in the air?

The tims didnt need to play well or do anything special, they wanted it more and toyed with us.

The effort and mind set of our players is nothing short of a disgrace and I cant imagine the backroom staff are too bothered with it since its the same wasters that are picked every single week.

Have a look again, what do you think of Kyle huttons part in defending that throw in / cross ball ?