Vote For Erskine

only14me

http://www.lotterygoodcauses.org.uk/project/erskine-celebrates-commonwealth-games

Please click on the link and Vote for Erskine to hopefully get some dosh from the National Lottery Good Causes Fund.

Apologies for posting this in The Bears' Den but I wanted to get maximum exposure for Erskine and didn't really know which Forum was the appropriate one.

Erskine needs to raise £9m per annum voluntarily to run their homes. Every vote counts. Let's do it, Bears and Bearettes.

http://www.lotterygoodcauses.org.uk/project/erskine-celebrates-commonwealth-games

Please click on the link and Vote for Erskine to hopefully get some dosh from the National Lottery Good Causes Fund.

Apologies for posting this in The Bears' Den but I wanted to get maximum exposure for Erskine and didn't really know which Forum was the appropriate one.

Erskine needs to raise £9m per annum voluntarily to run their homes. Every vote counts. Let's do it, Bears and Bearettes.

Done

No need to apologise, unless it's to Govanblue for stepping on his toes... :)

Quite the reverse! The more people starting Erskine threads, the better!

Plus that's another item off my to-do list - and zero effort on my part. Excellent! :thumbup:

Erskine%20-%20web%20ed.jpg?itok=hTRt0dlD

About the project

Erskine have been providing care for veterans since 1916 and currently support around 1,000 members of the ex-Service community per year, in five care homes across Scotland. Inspired by the 2014 Commonwealth Games, this project gave these veterans – many of whom are elderly or affected by ill-health such as multiple sclerosis, Parkinson’s or Alzheimer’s disease – a chance to participate in their own version of the event and take part in a variety of sporting and craft activities.

Each Erskine Home held a variety of adapted sporting activities based upon the interests and abilities of residents. Sports included bowls, weightlifting, cycling, netball, basketball and athletic events such as relay races. The games were officially opened by curling silver medal winner Scott Andrews, and incorporated a torch relay between all five homes. All participants received a rosette to mark the occasion, and winners received gold, silver and bronze medals in recognition of their achievement.

Those veterans who were either not able to or did not wish to take part in physical activities were still able to enjoy the experience by helping to create themed artwork to display throughout the games, as well as participate in sensory experiences such as food, drinks and music associated with Commonwealth countries. As well as bringing enjoyment, these activities offered therapeutic value for veterans, particularly those affected by dementia.

Across the five Erskine Homes involved in the project, all 376 veteran residents enjoyed some aspect of the Games, with 225 of these participating in sports activities. Taking part in and succeeding at the Games offered a real boost to the confidence of residents, and care home staff reported that the games had a positive effect on the physical fitness of 225 residents. Nearly a third of staff felt that they had improved their relationship with residents as a result of time spent together during the games. Furthermore, around 752 family members benefited from the knowledge that their loved one was being well cared for and enjoying their life. Feedback from both veterans and care home staff has been very positive and one family member said: “The effort put in by staff on these games was wonderful and mum had a brilliant time.” Most importantly, all residents, staff, families and volunteers had a great time, and thoroughly enjoyed getting into the spirit of the Games.

John Bowman, 98, has lived at The Erskine Home since December 2013, when complications following an infected sore on his foot meant he could no longer manage alone at home. As a keen cyclist and a member of the Lomond Roads Cycling Club in his hometown of Clydebank, John was devastated that he had to give up cycling and rely on a walking frame to get around once old age set in. Upon moving to Erskine, John met with the physiotherapy team to assess his fitness, mobility and stability. After learning of his love of cycling, the team were keen to support John and provided him with a static bike once his health had improved. “It all came back to me and I was in my element,” said John on using the bike for the first time.

John became a regular visitor to the physiotherapy room, using the bikes and taking part in group exercise classes. When the Erskine Games were announced, John signed up for the cycling event and in the run up to the Games, increased the amount of time he spent training, attending the Physiotherapy Department every day, most days cycling for around 30 minutes. All the training paid off as John won the bronze medal for cycling at the Erskine Game. Since the Erskine Games finished John has continued to cycle three or four times a week. He also attends the physiotherapy exercise group twice a week. John has recently faced some problems with his heart, however his improved fitness thanks to the Erskine Games put him in a much stronger position to deal with this, and he has recovered well.

BTW - The 98 year-old Cyclist mentioned above is a relative of one of our Loyal RM Erskine Lunch Fund Members. (tu)