Two New Loan Signings: Oduwa And Ball.

BlueThunder

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oduwa on the left. McKay on the right.

I'm going to be in dreamland. When was the last time we actually played with two proper wingers on the wing (before Warburton)? There's always been someone out of position whether it be Macleod Davis, McCulloch etc as far back as I can remember.

There was one month where Smith played Beasley and Novo on the wings and funnily enough we went on a brilliant run like beating Dundee Utd 7-1 injury ended it but why Smith never went back to those tactics was beyond me.

I'm guessing Spurs will be expecting both of these guys to playing regularly... that being the point of the loan from their perspective.... and to make it happen Warburton has probably suggested they would. So who goes to give Ball games. I don't think you want to be fucking around with your centre back pairing if you don't need to so is he taking Ball with the idea of playing him as a central defensive mid? If so does that mean Halliday will be benched? I hope not.
Guess we'll need to wait and see.

Is MW saying the Rangers youth players aren't good enough with these loan signings?

No! That's not why managers like Warburton sign players like these. It's more to do with signing players of a higher quality to improve the squad while at the same time telling the youngsters; "Right lads, thi8s is the standard you have got to equal or better to play for Rangers next season and beyond."

It makes the kids try harder to sharpen their technique and all round play to a standard where they can perform at a higher level. Warburton and Weir are very aware that our youth need encouragement to progress and this is one way of doing it.

I'm guessing Spurs will be expecting both of these guys to playing regularly... that being the point of the loan from their perspective.... and to make it happen Warburton has probably suggested they would. So who goes to give Ball games. I don't think you want to be fucking around with your centre back pairing if you don't need to so is he taking Ball with the idea of playing him as a central defensive mid? If so does that mean Halliday will be benched? I hope not.

Guess we'll need to wait and see.

Law will go, Halliday will move into a box to box mid instead of a ball winner I reckon.

As said it's to improve the squad and improve the standard. Ball is really a centre back so I would not be surprised if Zalukas or McGregor leave . I think we might also see a couple more of the squad go as well. From the Spurs fans sites they really seem to rate these guys

For me a couple of loan signings makes sense just now. He has to make the squad as strong as possible using whatever means necessary. It also means competition for places, leaves space for signings next season and perhaps the opportunity to sign one of them as well.

I'd expect Zaliukas and a couple of other players to go out on loan if they can't be sold.

There was one month where Smith played Beasley and Novo on the wings and funnily enough we went on a brilliant run like beating Dundee Utd 7-1 injury ended it but why Smith never went back to those tactics was beyond me.

Remember that spell well. We were absolutely flying for a few weeks.

Delighted with this, never checked the forums till this morning, so good news to wake up to.

Interesting to see how these lads get on, disappointed for the wide man that drops out for Oduwha, whether it be Temps, Mckay or Walsh, as I think our front three has looked the best it's looked in ages, with movement, skill and pace, having said that, this new lad will offer that in abundance by all accounts (tu)

I heard from a decent source that during the Spurs friendly game, there was a guy who played defensive midfield who was a stand out, I heard he covered every blade of grass, pressed constantly and impressed in the tackle, heard he went up for a corner, won the header, Foderingham saved, distributed quickly and we broke with pace to the wing, the same lad who won the header ended up making the challenge in the LB area of the field after winning the header. Really hope it's this Ball, will find out soon :)

Ball was playing for Northern Ireland a youth level for years but switched allegiances to England last year :p20: Although to be fair he is English :)

The fact that hes switched back to england suggests the guy has confidence in his ability.

No! That's not why managers like Warburton sign players like these. It's more to do with signing players of a higher quality to improve the squad while at the same time telling the youngsters; "Right lads, thi8s is the standard you have got to equal or better to play for Rangers next season and beyond."

It makes the kids try harder to sharpen their technique and all round play to a standard where they can perform at a higher level. Warburton and Weir are very aware that our youth need encouragement to progress and this is one way of doing it.

It looks more like MW has seen we don't have good enough youth (or first team if Oduwa replaces Templeton) players for his system. It would be a bit unrealistic to say to our youth players they need to play at the same level as cherry picked Spurs prospects to play for us.

Just typed "Nathan Oduwa" into YouTube and this kid is amazing. There's a few clips of him scoring and beating players and going on mazey runs etc

Dunno about the Ball fella yet tho.

Bob Malcolm looks like Zidane on youtube.

Means nothing tbh

It looks more like MW has seen we don't have good enough youth (or first team if Oduwa replaces Templeton) players for his system. It would be a bit unrealistic to say to our youth players they need to play at the same level as cherry picked Spurs prospects to play for us.

Or just the the style and tempo we'll play this season will need real strength in depth to maintain.

Injuries & suspensions haven't kicked in yet and Warbuton has cited how much a squad of quality means to him repeatedly.

That is a possibility for this season, but my comment of; "Right lads, this is the standard you have got to equal or better to play for Rangers next season and beyond." was a metaphorical statement Mark Warburton MIGHT make to the younger lads who are currently in the youth system.

If, as you stated, we haven't good enough youth to play at this level then it's a simple fact that if our young players don't improve then there is no chance of them playing at a higher level next season when we hopefully are playing in the Premier League.