Rangers On Verge Of Signing Arsenal Superkid Gedion Zelalem

George Goudie

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FYI: USA fans have mixed reactions to the news with most fans arguing that this would not be good for the kids development.

http://www.sbisoccer.com/2015/08/nearing-scottish-rangers.html

'I’m not sure about this, somehow the idea that he walks into Rangers as a loanee and is given the keys to central midfield seem unlikely–not because of his ability level, but because of Scottish attitude, and him being a temporary outsider.'

You know, until the aftermath of the Alloa game, I'd have thought 'Check this guy. WTF does he think we Scots are? Fucking insular philistines?'

Now I think he may have a point. What he needs to learn is that Rangers is no longer like the rest of Scotland in that respect!! :D

It's the only time I can remember his name being mentioned in the arsenal team and he has never played for any national team or been a member of a squad for a full international.

That's because he switched allegiances to the USA a couple of months ago and was then involved in the U20 World Cup

http://www.espnfc.co.uk/united-states/story/2344326/gedion-zelalem-ready-for-us-spot-now-says-coach-jurgen-klinsmann

FYI: USA fans have mixed reactions to the news with most fans arguing that this would not be good for the kids development.

http://www.sbisoccer.com/2015/08/nearing-scottish-rangers.html

Also, clearly loads of obsessed mhanks on there, and people that need to get with the updated MW picture.

Aye, seems a strange one. Especially as they have a German coach.

Did a new rule get made a couple of seasons ago that lets players switch countries up to the age of 21, or am I just making that up?

You can switch until you've made a competitive appearance for a country

Maybe I am right then going to have a wee check just now to confirm it though.he certainly looks the part in his under 21 USA videos

Knows how to pass a ball.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2867745/Arsene-Wenger-gave-batch-young-Arsenal-stars-chance-shine-against-Galatasaray.html

Did a new rule get made a couple of seasons ago that lets players switch countries up to the age of 21, or am I just making that up?

They changed it a couple of times, mate.

You can be capped at any youth level and it won't affect you if you want to switch nations as long as you have a "clear connection" (FIFA rulebook).

Also, these days you can be capped at full international level in a friendly and still switch allegiances.

So only competitive games at senior level will rule you out of making a switch at a later date.

An example of such a switch in the modern era was Jermaine Jones, who has three full international caps for Germany and 50 caps for USA. Many sons of US soldiers stationed in Germany have been involved in a similar tug-of-war between the two nations. Likewise there is a similar situation with Germany's sizeable Turkish diaspora.

The Home Nations in the UK have slightly different rules and don't allow just anyone with citizenship to play for them unlike, say, a team like Qatar who have many, many players born in different countries who have been 'naturalised' to allow them to play for the national team. Azerbaijan are another team who have had five or six Brazilians in their team.

An example of this Home Nation gentlemen's agreement being broken was when Maik Taylor (born in Germany, German mother, English father) chose to play for Northern Ireland. This shouldn't have been permitted as he had no 'clear connection' to that country.

The level of football we're up against is not that great but:

Manager with track record of player development

A large fan base demanding wins every single weeks

A fluid attacking set up

Intense media coverage

All reasons why a move to Rangers wouldnt be the worst thing in the world for a young player trying to make it at one of the big clubs in England.

I see this as a positive for him to get into the US team quicker because MW and Klinnsman play a very similar 4-3-3 and it will get him used to some of the hacking/physical play when the USA plays against Honduras, Costa Rica, Panama, and Mexico. All pretty hostile places to visit where things get chippy all the time.

That's because he switched allegiances to the USA a couple of months ago and was then involved in the U20 World Cup

http://www.espnfc.co.uk/united-states/story/2344326/gedion-zelalem-ready-for-us-spot-now-says-coach-jurgen-klinsmann

He was waiting for his USA citizenship which was affected due to him going to London to play for Arsenal at 16. This delayed things until a few months ago.

wow our fire power is going to be immense just think about the options we are going to have from the bench we will literally destroy teams especially in the last 30 mins or so.. if he signs can see his debut against hibees on sunday oooo we are going to crush them!!

He looks quality.

Nice and composed on the ball. Great quick turns and change of direction in tight situation. Basically looks like the kind of guy who never gives the ball away.

Will fit in nicely to our squad. Actually quite similar in style to Harry Winks going with some YouTube videos.

I think the rule is that it has to be a competitive match i.e. WC Qualifier or something. If he's only played in friendlies I think he can switch. But I could've just made that up as well :lol: