Your First Ever Cup Final?

Gaz52

I was 9, we beat Ayr 4-0 in the League Cup Final 2001/2002 season. Even though it was Ayr United we were playing it was magical to experience the atmosphere and see Rangers lift a trophy in the flesh - albeit it was at Hampden so I could barely see a thing but you get the point.

What was yours and what was the result?

This

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scottish cup final 1982, 1 each at 90 mins, extra time beaten 4 - 1 wee John McDonald scored for us big Eck, Magee, Strachen and Neal Cooper for the sheep shaggers. Not a good start but went on to enjoy many cup final victories over that lot

Yeah remember this game. Big eck never scored many with his feet but my jaw dropped when he scored that one, was a belter although my words at the time were, aw fur fuck sake!

Scottish cup final 1982, 1 each at 90 mins, extra time beaten 4 - 1 wee John McDonald scored for us big Eck, Magee, Strachen and Neal Cooper for the sheep shaggers. Not a good start but went on to enjoy many cup final victories over that lot

Same one for me. That was the end for a lot of the players in that team. They were dead on their feet in extra time. Not a good day.

idn't go to another Scottish cup final in the 80s but went to most of our League cup finals, which were more enjoyable. Watching Roy Aitken or Willie Miller turn purple with rage was a certainty every time.

1973. Me, my dad and 122,712 others at the game.

Watch the winning goal again..

As McLean takes the free kick that led to the third goal he runs up but then stops when he notices Derek Johnstone's run then places the ball right on to DJs head with pin point accuracy. DJ heads on to both posts and then big Tam's studs achieve immortality.

87 Skol Cup final at Hampden, over 70000 for the Gers v Aberdeen game which finished 3-3.........the one with that Super Cooper freekick and we won on penalties.

First time I had been at a game where I had to stand !!! Loved and hated it at the same time !!

I was 8 years old when my Dad took me to my first cup final in 1963. In a crowd of over 100,000 we thrashed Morton 5-0 in the League Cup Final, what a day. I've been to a few cup finals since then and by far my favourite is Big Tam's 73 Scottish Cup Final, that was a Carlsberg day in more ways than one.

Was at Glasgow Cup Final at the Piggery in 1975 or 76,Rangers won 3 1,cant remember scorers,think Jardine may have scored a penalty,first one at Hampden was League Cup Final when Doddie scored with diving header to beat them 1 0.

1957 League Cup Final. Slaughter in the sunshine so it was. Stayed until the bitter end to cheer the troops off the field. Still don't think that Celtic even played that well. Same venue, same teams in the 1965 League Cup Final - Hughes scored (two penalties, I think) and Greig snatched one back for us.

Enjoyed this thread.

Was 12 in 62/63 the Scottish Cup Final and there were 130,00 to watch Rangers against the real h*** and it was 1-1 with Ralphie Brand scoring for us and murdoch for them. Got to the replay with 120,000 and we leathered them 3-0 with goals from Ralphie Brand (2) and Davie Wilson. Been smitten since.

1973. Me, my dad and 122,712 others at the game.

Watch the winning goal again..

As McLean takes the free kick that led to the third goal he runs up but then stops when he notices Derek Johnstone's run then places the ball right on to DJs head with pin point accuracy. DJ heads on to both posts and then big Tam's studs achieve immortality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIXZwfngcVE

I've never understood why the official attendance for that game was "only" 122, 714. At that time the capacity of Hampden was 134,000 and there's no way almost 12,000 tickets went unsold for such a massive game.

I did hear years ago that a gate was broken down at the Rangers End and thousands of Bears got in without passing through the turnstiles, maybe that would explain it. I've also spoken to guys who got into the ground but couldn't even get to the terracing, the Rangers End was so rammed. So maybe there was even more than a capacity crowd there that day.

I've also said before I'm astonished there was never a major tragedy inside Hampden at a big game, considering the terracing and passageways consisted of ash and timber railway sleepers, which over the years had deteriorated terribly.

Yeah remember this game. Big eck never scored many with his feet but my jaw dropped when he scored that one, was a belter although my words at the time were, aw fur fuck sake!

Same one for me. That was the end for a lot of the players in that team. They were dead on their feet in extra time. Not a good day.

idn't go to another Scottish cup final in the 80s but went to most of our League cup finals, which were more enjoyable. Watching Roy Aitken or Willie Miller turn purple with rage was a certainty every time.

To be honest I hear a lot of punters bemoaning the John Greig and Jock Wallace (2nd time) period in the 80s but I always felt we were up against the best Aberdeen and Dundee Utd teams of all time. Was worth it to be there for the Souness revolution imo :scot::uk: