***the Official St Mirren V Rangers Match Thread***

G.E.C.

Can't disagree, but we do need a better final ball otherwise it will make no difference who the striker is. We are also still trying to walk the fucking ball into the net.

Tav was way off the pace today and many loose passes from others, together with too many touches on the ball. Get back to the one touch pass and move.

Lastly, I have no issues with playing out from the back, but the keeper has to be better in his decision making as to when to pass it out or hump it up the park. Two very close calls today and on another, it could cost us the 3 points.

In the "Do we need a striker" thread I said we don't need another striker unless in January we are still in the big cup. What we need just now is our breaks to be quicker and for the killer-ball to be more direct. If the opposition team can lose possession and outrun your passes at a speed they can all get back to their 18 yard line then the movement/passing/decision-making isn't quick/good enough. We're in complete agreement on that front.

Tav was quiet but maybe because he had to do some defending today.

Keeper actually fills me with confidence - ok at times you think "Oh FFS keeper" but generally speaking he's bailing us out and his "fuck ups" aren't costing us, it's the midfield primarily that needs to get their shit together. They could maybe complain that they don't have anyone to aim for up front but then that brings us back to should Kenny Miller be starting, off the bench he sparks us into life but from the start you don't see him.

If we're to have 3 up front starting then personally I'd have Oduwa left, Clark Middle and Waghorn on the right, OR McKay left instead of Oduwa with Waghorn and Clark in the other two slots. As I said in the other thread I think we're seeing more from Miller off the bench even if that makes him unhappy. With regards to the midfield Law has to start, I think this season he's simply a better all rounder than the rest of them, Halliday probably would be with him, the last slot is personal preference but as I said in the other thread - Zelalem has shown very little to justify him starting his best position is where Law is and perhaps appearances in the final 1/3 of the game would suit him better until he can give a better account of himself. Shiels is another who seems to be able to play just about anywhere as long as it's not from the start - he earns the starting slot with great impact then well he moves in the wind during games at times.

It's easy to forget too that we have others who could be given another crack i.e. Hardie, Murdoch, Ball is primarily a DM so he could sit in the middle, there's probably a couple of others who've escaped me presently but the point is if we know someone isn't quite working perhaps giving someone else a crack, while not being the solution, may just spark the underperformer into upping their game.

The main thing despite our stuttering play is that we are not 11 men behind the ball on our 18 yard line while grinding out these results, we're generally attacking but not quite pulling it off. Furthermore as is always the case "3 points is king".

Next week will be the big test. If we stop hibs momentum then I suspect we'll be back to how we were playing earlier in the season.

Miller must be an impact sub from now on and based on today's performance I'd say law should start ahead of zelalem next week.

We've not been lucky. We've played poorly but think of the chances Miller and Halliday missed today. For all of ST Mirren's effort they only really tested big Wes with long range efforts.

Not for me, I think Wes was outstanding (bar the almost incident near the end), but the others had a terrible game.

The chances missed is what I mean, we were lucky that st mirren didn't capitalise on their efforts.

I'm pleased for the 3 points, not convinced it was fully deserved.

All teams swing between periods of good, indifferent. bad form. difference is we are winning the bad form games due to our overall play being better, a harder faster work ethic, and to be honest a bit of luck thrown in now and then. How many games have we won recently with goals in the latter stages of games, this is due to hard work and an improved mental belief. Games like today will only serve to assure us that we need to improve our squad a bit to make a decent go of it next season. Keep working hard, and things will soon turn around into top form again.

TBH can't see us beating Hibs if we repeat that performance. Just hope the team raises their game, they know this is a biggie.

Yes. We need a vastly improved performance and be much more clinical. Feels like we've slackened off in recent weeks in this respect.

I believe we can do it - MW & DW will have the lads fired up. Need to keep Cummings quiet again

It may be that the team are tired. Training might be a bit taxing. There was also a difficult game midweek.

A player or two in January might spark things up a bit beautifuly.

Is this Rangers or Peterhead you're talking about. If that was a difficult game midweek, we can forget about euro matches. Training taxing? Last year we were complaining about lack of training. These are supposed to be professional footballers, not brickies and plasterers playing for fu.

As MW is keen to tell us, it's all about us. I'm not bothered what the Saints got up to today, I'm more interested in seeking an explanation for our bad performance. I fact, they've been getting steadily worse of the past few weeks and I think that we need to change out approach.

Even though the Saints didn't really pack their defence, we seemed as to we still wanted to walk the ball into the net. I didn't work when McCoist tried it and it won't work for MW either.

I also thing we're rather slow and expect far too much time to dwell on the ball, with the result is the opposition come up and take if from us.

I also think a special mention should be made for Zelalem.

He was shite today. His passing was off and he did absolutely nothing in the whole time he was on the pitch, which is probably why he was subbed. This is not his first dire performance and I fear it will not be his last. He's toothless and a bit of a waste of space.

The only thing I saw him do was win the ball on their touchline and pass it on. At least to one of our players, but nothing came of it anyway, which is not entirely his fault.

We will certainly be losing our 100% record against hivs next week if we carry on with the same old tired tactics, which everyone in the division has sussed out.

Is this Rangers or Peterhead you're talking about. If that was a difficult game midweek, we can forget about euro matches. Training taxing? Last year we were complaining about lack of training. These are supposed to be professional footballers, not brickies and plasterers playing for fu.

What in your opinion is the cause of the perceived drop in form then?

Does my fucking heid in man, half the time you don't even notice it so they should just keep quiet. Or just an overall apology at full time or some shit.

Derek Rae is a cunt though and is more interested in the offerings in the burger van than the football.

He likes to remind us all about QOTS being the only team in the bible and the reason for them being called the Doonhamers.

Hope we never play them again.

We will certainly be losing our 100% record against hivs next week if we carry on with the same old tired tactics, which everyone in the division has sussed out.

Sussed out yet 11 wins out of 11 :P hivs managed 3 shots on target v raith who had the majority of possession have some faith in the manager and players - they deserve it.

Cheer up I really dont see the need for the negativity :D