***the Official St Mirren V Rangers Match Thread***

G.E.C.

There's 2 ways at looking at this off the top of my head;

• We have been playing beneath our abilities since about 3 games prior to the St Johnstone defeat in the cup and sooner or later if we up the gears we'll be punished needlessly.
  • Despite playing beneath our ability since about 3 games before the defeat to St Johnstone in the cup, we have won every other game we've played and it's been said the team that wins playing "badly" is the team that will be champions. When Rangers up the gears we'll demolish teams playing above themselves.
I think my comments in the "Do we need another striker" thread have been further evidenced today.

When we dropped the gears initially I was concerned we were believing the hype and dropping standards that winning games requires however bar 1 game against higher league opposition we've continued winning regardless and you can't say that it's backs to the wall stuff, it is more a case of not quite clicking in attack - the longer it goes on and we continue to win, the less concerned I am, especially as it seems to be when there is a clock to run down we do go up a gear in ball retention and passing. With that said I'd like to see us try to go 2 or 3 passes on the break and hitting a dig as opposed to walking it slowly into the net.

Can't disagree, but we do need a better final ball otherwise it will make no difference who the striker is. We are also still trying to walk the fucking ball into the net.

Tav was way off the pace today and many loose passes from others, together with too many touches on the ball. Get back to the one touch pass and move.

Lastly, I have no issues with playing out from the back, but the keeper has to be better in his decision making as to when to pass it out or hump it up the park. Two very close calls today and on another, it could cost us the 3 points.

I have no idea, Warburton and Wenger both rate him though so I'll go with their opinion before yours. I was more laughing at you writing off his entire career because of a bad half of football though.

I'm basing it on the 7/8 times I've seen him

Happy to be proved wrong in a few years but can't see it happening

Overall an underwhelming performance by the team. Tav, Miller, Zelalem and probably Wallace as well had poor games but it was a decent win in the end, though you wouldn't have begrudged st. Mirren a point. Really well taken goal by Jason Holt. Onwards and upwards as they say.

WATP.

Tough game, as someone said earlier if st midden played that way every week they wouldn't be 7th, happy with 3 points, at the end of the season no one will remember a hard fought win in paisley. Onward we march, still 11 games 11 wins, really harsh to be critical.

I will. Games like today would have seen us lose last season. Those are the games which cost us last season.

Beyond our poor peformance, you just have to say St. Miren played well. Hibs will be a differen't kettle of fish for us though but i am confident.

It's all about the money....surely?

Think he's probably got plenty to be honest.

Why take the Villa job, only to be relegated and probably never get a 'big' job in the EPL?

Stick with Rangers for the duration, win leagues, implement a longtetm structure, develop players and have a crack at Europe - the move to the EPL.

Absolutely no chance he'd turn down the Villa job

Its a poison chalice, has been since st martin spunked £150m of Randy Learner's money to be 6th. Until someone with deeps pockets stumps up the 200m plus learner wants for the club I dont think its that an attractive proposition, esp for someone like Mark who doesn't really come across as someone for whom money is the biggest factor.

The team is turning out the results and that would never have happened last season. They have only been together a few months and the overall improvement has been huge. We can't expect great performances every week as long as the give 100% and are trying to play football in the right way we will do ok. Hopefully we get 2-3 players in January and kick on even more.

The team is turning out the results and that would never have happened last season. They have only been together a few months and the overall improvement has been huge. We can't expect great performances every week as long as the give 100% and are trying to play football in the right way we will do ok. Hopefully we get 2-3 players in January and kick on even more.

A reasonable post apart from the "only been together a few months". They have now had long enough to gel as a unit. This can no longer be an excuse for a poor performance.

I will. Games like today would have seen us lose last season. Those are the games which cost us last season.

Beyond our poor peformance, you just have to say St. Miren played well. Hibs will be a differen't kettle of fish for us though but i am confident.

Next week will bring its own challenges, hivs have to go for it and today was probably a good exercise for us in that respect, esp big Wes who will take a lot of confidence into that game, like you I'm confident too. (tu)