Us Soccer Bans Young Players From Heading Ball

cushynumber

Players aged 10 and under are banned from headers after a lawsuit from parents - and there are calls for the UK to follow suit.

The US Soccer Federation has banned children aged 10 and under from heading the ball.The governing body has introduced a number of safety measures to settle a lawsuit accusing it of negligence in treating and monitoring head injuries.The ban includes national team and Major League Soccer academies. Players aged between 11 and 13 will be limited to headers during matches only, while medical professionals must attend all academy games to decide whether players suspected of suffering concussion stay on.

http://news.sky.com/story/1585183/us-soccer-bans-young-players-from-heading-ball

thoughts? prudent or over the top?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heading those old leather bladders that weighed a ton when soaking, and heading those mitre mouldmasters made from the hardest most unyielding plastic of the time have never given me any problemmdsmmd ddd dd skdl

Errr, someone remind me what I was posting about ?

Its probably over the top but the flip side is that it could see them produce players who are better technically by forcing them too keep the ball on the deck so i would assume they will be better passers and more likely too be 2 footed

I think it's a great idea, most important are the youngsters wellbeing but like you say, the longer the ball is on the ground the more technically able they will become! Definitely think we should follow suit in this country!

I'm fed up even playing 5 a sides in this country where players lump the ball up the park leaving you forced to contest a header! If we can't even keep the ball on the deck at 5s what chance do we have?

Over the top, but since in America you can successfully sue a sports league for suffering injuries you inflicted upon yourself, in full knowledge of what might happen, for millions of dollars, it makes sense for the federation to protect itself.

Heading those old leather bladders that weighed a ton when soaking, and heading those mitre mouldmasters made from the hardest most unyielding plastic of the time have never given me any problemmdsmmd ddd dd skdl

Errr, someone remind me what I was posting about ?

A lot of boring shite, as usual (tu)