The Gaffers Signings

hammer93

With the proposed arrival of the lad Forrester, I think it's clear we are going to have to trust MW on this lad, it's got me thinking about his signings to date and my assessments of the players up to now.

Big Wes- At first he looked very suspect and uneasy with the ball at his feet but he has now adapted into this playing style, coupled with the fact he is a fantastic shot stopper I rate his performances as 8.5/10

Tav- his early season form has certainly took a dip(maybe slight fatigue) looked back to his best against hivs on Monday, 9 goals for a full back can't be overlooked and I'm sure their are more to come 8.5/10

Rob Kiernan- For me the jury is still out on the big man, when we play high up the park I feel he doesn't have the pace and at times is easily exposed, in saying that he never hides or shirks a challenge which I do like about him, he probably needs a more experienced partner to bring out the best in him 6.5/10

Danny Wilson- A disappointment so far, his distribution is sloppy and he looks slow to me, another who will probably benefit playing beside someone else, i wouldn't give up on him yet but time is against him 5.5/10

Dom ball- For me he should have seen more game time than he has had, looks decent anytime he has played and hasn't really let us down, if we don't bring in an experienced centre half I would like the big man to get a decent run in the side with either DW or RK on a regular basis 7/10

Andy Halliday- playing out of position so it's hard to criticize, he is always willing and always gives 100%, has weighed in with a few goals but I'm sure he will score more from a more natural forward position. 7.5/10

Gedion Zelalem- Started the season on fire dictating a lot of the play in our early season gubbings, he definitely has an eye for goal scoring passes but for me doesn't do it enough, for me he lost his way after he went on international duty and really hasn't got back to his early season form, more needed 6/10

Nathan Odouwa- like Gedion he started brightly and gave us some magic moments (Raith game outstanding) unfortunately their hasn't been enough of this and another who needs to do more, maybe he would benefit from a prolonged run in the team? 6/10

Jason Holt- what can you say other than the gaffers best signing, at 65k this lad is now proving to be invaluable to our side, a very clever player with the art of timing runs in behind defenses to score goals 10/10

Martyn Waghorn- like Holt he is invaluable to our side, whether he plays out wide or through the middle you know he will give you a shift, 20+ goals to date, a certainty to bag close to 35 by the end of the season 9.5/10

That's my own personal opinion on Warburtons signings, I'm sure plenty will disagree as that's each and everyones right.

With the proposed arrival of the lad Forrester, I think it's clear we are going to have to trust MW on this lad, it's got me thinking about his signings to date and my assessments of the players up to now.

Big Wes- At first he looked very suspect and uneasy with the ball at his feet but he has now adapted into this playing style, coupled with the fact he is a fantastic shot stopper I rate his performances as 8.5/10

Tav- his early season form has certainly took a dip(maybe slight fatigue) looked back to his best against hivs on Monday, 9 goals for a full back can't be overlooked and I'm sure their are more to come 8.5/10

Rob Kiernan- For me the jury is still out on the big man, when we play high up the park I feel he doesn't have the pace and at times is easily exposed, in saying that he never hides or shirks a challenge which I do like about him, he probably needs a more experienced partner to bring out the best in him 6.5/10

Danny Wilson- A disappointment so far, his distribution is sloppy and he looks slow to me, another who will probably benefit playing beside someone else, i wouldn't give up on him yet but time is against him 5.5/10

Dom ball- For me he should have seen more game time than he has had, looks decent anytime he has played and hasn't really let us down, if we don't bring in an experienced centre half I would like the big man to get a decent run in the side with either DW or RK on a regular basis 7/10

Andy Halliday- playing out of position so it's hard to criticize, he is always willing and always gives 100%, has weighed in with a few goals but I'm sure he will score more from a more natural forward position. 7.5/10

Gedion Zelalem- Started the season on fire dictating a lot of the play in our early season gubbings, he definitely has an eye for goal scoring passes but for me doesn't do it enough, for me he lost his way after he went on international duty and really hasn't got back to his early season form, more needed 6/10

Nathan Odouwa- like Gedion he started brightly and gave us some magic moments (Raith game outstanding) unfortunately their hasn't been enough of this and another who needs to do more, maybe he would benefit from a prolonged run in the team? 6/10

Jason Holt- what can you say other than the gaffers best signing, at 65k this lad is now proving to be invaluable to our side, a very clever player with the art of timing runs in behind defenses to score goals 10/10

Martyn Waghorn- like Holt he is invaluable to our side, whether he plays out wide or through the middle you know he will give you a shift, 20+ goals to date, a certainty to bag close to 35 by the end of the season 9.5/10

That's my own personal opinion on Warburtons signings, I'm sure plenty will disagree as that's each and everyones right.

Can't disagree too much with these. I'd give a slightly higher mark to kiernan, I like him as a player, and think he's a good signing. Probably a 7 or 7.5 for me.

Overall MW has done well with his signings. A really good strike rate when you consider he hasn't spent much at all.

I'm not going to criticise any signings just because they come from England's lower divisions. Ofcourse not every signing will make it but I'd back warburtons judgement 100% if I was king. And just because they're not 3 million pound players doesn't mean they're no good. We should have been doing this 4 years ago

Odouwa and Zelalem get excused for too much criticism because they're so young and inexperienced. We can't expect them to be tearing up games week in week out. Even the best don't have that level of consistency at their age.

Wes reminds me of Klos or David James. Good reactions, good shot stopper, but my arse clenches every time a cross ball comes in to the box.

Odouwa and Zelalem get excused for too much criticism because they're so young and inexperienced. We can't expect them to be tearing up games week in week out. Even the best don't have that level of consistency at their age.

Wes reminds me of Klos or David James. Good reactions, good shot stopper, but my arse clenches every time a cross ball comes in to the box.

The age of Oduwa and Zelalem is irrelevant, they are not our players. Loanees have to be judged on their performances now and not what potential they have. Other than better relations with the parent club we do not benefit from their future development. Winning the title and gaining promotion have to come before the development of another teams players. If they are good enough then they should get the game time they deserve but the reverse also applies. Our young players like Hardie, Walsh and Thompson should be getting game time for experience, loan players should be picked on merit.

He has a good eye for a player and knows how to develop them. We have see 6 months of his work and we have 2 plus years to go (I hope it is a lot more). It is amazing what a good manager, quality coaching and stability can do.

Every signing has been an improvement on the player they replaced. Doing that in a period of 5 or 6 weeks was exceptional.

I've not been convinced by Zelalem or Oduwa in the tougher games but I think both have contributed here and there and I've mostly enjoyed watching them play.

Really looking forward to seeing who comes in next and what they bring to the club.

am i the only one who doesnt rate tav as much as the rest, its all good and fancy bombing up the park, banging in free kicks etc, but imo when he's asked to defend he's not very good at it, constantly ball watching, caught out of position and slow to react at times

he's young and has time to improve, but he really needs to focus on the defending part of his game as a priority as in the division above we wont have the ball as much as we do the now

holt has been our best signing player wise since administration hit, an absolute gem of a player

am i the only one who doesnt rate tav as much as the rest, its all good and fancy bombing up the park, banging in free kicks etc, but imo when he's asked to defend he's not very good at it, constantly ball watching, caught out of position and slow to react at times

he's young and has time to improve, but he really needs to focus on the defending part of his game as a priority as in the division above we wont have the ball as much as we do the now

holt has been our best signing player wise since administration hit, an absolute gem of a player

The jury is till out on Tav as far as i'm concerned. Was his outstanding performances early in the season his normal level or the poor displays recently. I would lean towards giving him the benefit of the doubt though because he hasn't had much help on that right hand side. Like I said in a few other threads, Wallace has a lot of help from McKay defensively. Tavernier gets no such help and I think it contributed massively to his dip in form.

I have raised my concerns before about tavs ability to defend, it has been suspect at times to say the least, Monday was one of his better games regarding defending but my overall opinion alludes to extra attacking threat he gives us and the goals are a welcome bonus.

The one who has not yet won me over is Waghorn. Misses too many chances and, if you take away his penalties, his rate is not too impressive. As to the loan players, at their age, Denis Law was an International player.

Youngsters weren't wrapped up in cotton wool in Denis Laws era, I definitely think there could be a better balance between giving them game time and protecting them.

Foderingham - 8/10
Tavernier - 7/10
Kiernan - 6/10
Wilson - 5/10
Ball - 6/10
Halliday 7/10
Zelalem - 6/10
Holt - 9/10
Oduwa - 6/10
Waghorn - 8.5/10

I don't remember a game where we were not seriously suspect at the back, for that reason they all get prety lowish scores.

I think Zelalem and Oduwa have flattered to decieve more often than not, sparly football without actualy doing much.

I am convinced that Tavernier will leave us very open to counter attack with his style, he doesn't seem to like the tracking back part of the game.