The Billy Boys (Reprise)

D'Artagnan

I'd hate that to be the limit of our ambition: getting it up the mhanks. That just mirrors the obsession we mock in others of hating us more than taking care of themselves.

I want us to get back an anthem that galvanises every Bear and scares the shit out of the opposition, no matter who they are: celtic, Barcelona, Real madrid, or whoever.

I agree with you mate re: scaring all opposition, but as it was the mhanks who instigated this witch hunt I really want a version that says to them "FUCK YOU".

I do agree it is wonderful to hear it belted out on big European nights, cup finals etc. no matter who the opposition, but I think I enjoy it most when we are humping the unwashed, and that is my reason for wanting a version that gets it right up them.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. It's foolish to be an anorak and protective when it comes to the use of the English language. Unlike many other languages it is fluid and many words are used to mean different things from the original meaning; sometimes the direct opposite meaning even. Words also have more than one meaning, right?

2. I've only used Fenian to mean a Tim but I know, as do you, that it has and is used to mean Catholic. There's no point in denying that. Harking back to to it's original meaning is dishonest.

3. Once again, for someone who seems to have an affinity with the English language you don't seem to understand how it works. The original meaning of any word is an irrelevance; the context is what matters.

I agree that the wording needs to be (re-?)adapted (if we are to see the Billy boys to see it return). Personally I think we should concentrate on supporting Rangers and leave them out of our songs. Hence replace ' up to our knees in Fenian blood' with 'we sing The Sash and Derry's walls'. That way we drop the 'offending' bit whilst still staying with the 'culture' that is important to many Bears.

To sum it up, It seems to me Celtic are known for what they are, whilst we are known for what we are against. You even define yourself that way.

1. Nothing foolish about it at all - particularly when protecting the tools of the trade.

2 & 3. If you actually read the article instead of spending your energy picking an argument you will see I accepted some within our support use the term as such - lazy use of language. That does not alter the original meaning of the word in much the same way as the modern usage of the word gay does not detract nor devaue its original meaning.

I'd hate that to be the limit of our ambition: getting it up the mhanks. That just mirrors the obsession we mock in others of hating us more than taking care of themselves.

I want us to get back an anthem that galvanises every Bear and scares the shit out of the opposition, no matter who they are: celtic, Barcelona, Real madrid, or whoever.

A great idea, been done already though.,,,,,,,,,,,,

Bring on the Hibs the Hearts the cellic.

Bring on the Spanish by the score,

Barcelona, Real Madrid.................

WHO'S THAT TEAM

Some people say that Real Madrid's

The greatest football team

I've even heard the Anderlecht

The best they've ever seen

There's Manchester United

And Tottenham Hotspur too

There's Derby, Chelsea Blackburn

Just to name a famous few

But who's that team they call the Rangers

Who's that team they all adore

They're the boys in royal blue

And they're Scotlands galant few

And they're out to show the world what they can do

So bring on the Hibs the Hearts the Celtic

Bring on Spaniards by the score

Barcelona, Real Madrid they will make a gallant bid

For we're out to show the world what we can do

So here's a health tae Glasgow Rangers,

Here's a health frae me tae you,

And let's hope that every game,

Will immortalize the name

Of the boys who wear,

The famous royal blue.

Call me crazy....but what about just singing Rangers songs?

Before the uberprods start..ive no problem with anyone singing these songs. Ibrox on matchdays is the wrong time and place Imo.

Seems keeping their beliefs and football team separate is a problem for some folk.

Call me crazy....but what about just singing Rangers songs?

Before the uberprods start..ive no problem with anyone singing these songs. Ibrox on matchdays is the wrong time and place Imo.

Seems keeping their beliefs and football team separate is a problem for some folk.

Yer right mate. Bringing hymns like the Billy boys from church to Ibrox.

If you wana wade through blood sing about it at church

I'm all for changing the words, but unless the club come out and encourage it it's just a pipe dream as it's impossible to teach every fan an 'altered' version and get everyone singing from the same hymn sheet.

If the club provides it in black and white here are the lyrics sing them loud and proud without fear, also lyrics on the big screens and over the speakers pre match as other posters mentioned is a good idea.

But obviously it needs to be catchy and relevant and not some mickey mouse let's all be friends and hold hands pi*h.

Spot on. The club really has to lead on this otherwise there will continue to be numerous versions that no one can agree on.

Before every game they could play the tune and flash the words up on the screen. After a few weeks everyone would know them, no one would get prosecuted and the club could not be criticised. The song will not go away so the club needs to lead on the issue.

What if we get Andy Cameron to come on the pitch before games and sing the "old" version? That'll kill it stone dead. ?

He'd kill any song stone dead.

Most annoying thing is when on hold to ticket office "I am a bluenose loyal and true"

30 mins of that and Guantanamo inmates would gee up

He'd kill any song stone dead.

Most annoying thing is when on hold to ticket office "I am a bluenose loyal and true"

30 mins of that and Guantanamo inmates would gee up

I used to love going into the ground really early and just watch the place slowly fill up. Then some absolute thundercunt decided "mon let's gie Andy Cameron a live mic and his own wee song".

It was years before I was in before 2.55 again. :lol:

I used to love going into the ground really early and just watch the place slowly fill up. Then some absolute thundercunt decided "mon let's gie Andy Cameron a live mic and his own wee song".

It was years before I was in before 2.55 again. :lol:

I mind at home to the sheep one Sunday and he said let's give them a warm welcome and everyone booed. I'm sure he then said that was a baaaaad idea :lol: fucking woeful wee man

The rr wind up with big Andy smilie was fucking excellent tho

I for one will continue to sing the songs that I`ve sang since I was a nipper ( Fenian word included) )

Before I get heckled from the do-gooders let me explain.

I sing these songs because I know the difference between singing songs and being a fucking retard who hates all catholics.

Most of us love a bit of football, tribal rivalry when supporting our team and singing a few words that antagonizes the other team surely doesn't hurt anyone.

Its when the people who think we should be all painted with the retard label, that we cant separate words in a song to our real life, that just pisses me off.

Just leave us alone to sing and create atmosphere before the game dies on its arse.

And before some retard picks up on the " being a fucking retard who hates all catholics"..... Don`t hate people for no other reason than following a religion, Its 2016 ffs, not the 17th century.

I for one will continue to sing the songs that I`ve sang since I was a nipper ( Fenian word included) )

I sing these songs because I know the difference between singing songs and being a fucking retard who hates all catholics.

Most of us love a bit of football, tribal rivalry when supporting our team and singing a few words that antagonizes the other team surely doesn't hurt anyone.

Its when the people who think we should be all painted with the retard label, that we cant separate words in a song to our real life, that just pisses me off.

Just leave us alone to sing and create atmosphere before the game dies on its arse.

And before some retard picks up on the " being a fucking retard who hates all catholics"..... Don`t hate people for no other reason than following a religion, Its 2016 ffs, not the 17th century.

So you know the difference between singing about Catholics and a historical Irish group but you can't follow a simple request from the club not to put it at risk of fines or points deductions by singing those words? Bizarre.

youve not even left school ffs

So you know the difference between singing about Catholics and a historical Irish group but you can't follow a simple request from the club not to put it at risk of fines or points deductions by singing those words? Bizarre.

I do know the repercussions to the club, they are gutless though

he did not mention an historical group so I wonder what he meant?

Perhaps the club should mention historical Irish groups?

I note the Supporters Groups Orangemen who got these guys placed are terrified of the Fenian word.

We can be thankful they were not at The Diamond.

1. Nothing foolish about it at all - particularly when protecting the tools of the trade.

2 & 3. If you actually read the article instead of spending your energy picking an argument you will see I accepted some within our support use the term as such - lazy use of language. That does not alter the original meaning of the word in much the same way as the modern usage of the word gay does not detract nor devaue its original meaning.

It is foolish to piss into the wind. The accepted usage of a word is what is taken to be the definition. Words can even drop out of usage. When, in all your blogs, did you last use "trowe", a word formerly in common usage? To determine the meaning of a paticular word, the courts will use te principle of "the man on the Clapham omnibus". Thus, in today's society, "fenian" does equate to "Roman Catholic".

Hello, Hello we are the Billy boys,
Hello, Hello you'll know us by our noise,
We'll sing The Sash and Derry's Walls,
Surrender or you'll die

Can we leave Andy Cameron out of this? :P

By just changing one line, which also celebrates two of our other great anthems, instantly disarms each and every ‘mock offended’ parasite that goes out their way to find a stick to beat us and the club with.

What would Tim English, Britney and the rest have to write about when 50,000 are belting that out the next time The Great Unwashed come to Ibrox?

Europe – the next Champions League game and the crowd singing the ‘new version’ – OK, Barcelona might not crumble but it could give us the edge over some of the smaller, less experienced teams!

Hypothetically speaking, in ten years’ time – maybe there will be a Sky Sports European /EUFA league(s). Would they allow us in it if we carry on with the original?

By changing just one line as soon as the first ‘Hullo’ is proclaimed, Timmy knows the sentiment – he’ll know we’re the Billy Boys, he’ll know we sing The Sash, he’ll know we sing Derry’s Walls!

Then, we sing The Sash and Derry’s Walls! No Surrender!