The Billy Boys (Reprise)

D'Artagnan

I was thinking about anti-Catholic rather than anti-Celtic and I mean generally. Tell me a club that has a derogatory song about a rival club's fans that is based on their race/religion. Spurs fans are even getting it in the neck for calling themselves Yids. My mate, a Spurs fan, keeps saying they wont stop them singing it. They will.

Also...in the rest of Britain (outwith Strathclyde/Ulster) people rarely define themselves as Protestant. If asked, they will tell you which sect the adhere to rather than say they are Christian but not Catholic.

Another thing I've noticed. My football supporting mates (and others) will comment/joke about Rangers not playing Catholics (back in the day, and yes, I know the reality of the history); why is it not only playing Protestants? Because that is not how we are perceived.

For one who is so well versed in linguistics, it seems strange that you do not realise that you can be Protestant and Catholic; they are not mutually exclusive.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spot on. The club really has to lead on this otherwise there will continue to be numerous versions that no one can agree on.

Before every game they could play the tune and flash the words up on the screen. After a few weeks everyone would know them, no one would get prosecuted and the club could not be criticised. The song will not go away so the club needs to lead on the issue.

Or the fans groups could arrive at a consensus on an alternate version. Once that has been done they print up cards with the new words and leave them on every seat at a home game. Costs the club nothing as the fans groups would be paying from monies received selling unofficial club merchandise and books. Win/win.

Hello, Hello we are the Billy boys,

Hello, Hello you'll know us by our noise,

We'll sing The Sash and Derry's Walls,

Surrender or you'll die

Can we leave Andy Cameron out of this? :P

By just changing one line, which also celebrates two of our other great anthems, instantly disarms each and every ‘mock offended’ parasite that goes out their way to find a stick to beat us and the club with.

What would Tim English, Britney and the rest have to write about when 50,000 are belting that out the next time The Great Unwashed come to Ibrox?

Europe – the next Champions League game and the crowd singing the ‘new version’ – OK, Barcelona might not crumble but it could give us the edge over some of the smaller, less experienced teams!

Hypothetically speaking, in ten years’ time – maybe there will be a Sky Sports European /EUFA league(s). Would they allow us in it if we carry on with the original?

By changing just one line as soon as the first ‘Hullo’ is proclaimed, Timmy knows the sentiment – he’ll know we’re the Billy Boys, he’ll know we sing The Sash, he’ll know we sing Derry’s Walls!

Then, we sing The Sash and Derry’s Walls! No Surrender!

Beginning to to like that!

Hello, Hello we are the Billy boys,

Hello, Hello you'll know us by our noise,

We'll sing The Sash and Derry's Walls,

Surrender or you'll die

Can we leave Andy Cameron out of this? :P

By just changing one line, which also celebrates two of our other great anthems, instantly disarms each and every ‘mock offended’ parasite that goes out their way to find a stick to beat us and the club with.

What would Tim English, Britney and the rest have to write about when 50,000 are belting that out the next time The Great Unwashed come to Ibrox?

Europe – the next Champions League game and the crowd singing the ‘new version’ – OK, Barcelona might not crumble but it could give us the edge over some of the smaller, less experienced teams!

Hypothetically speaking, in ten years’ time – maybe there will be a Sky Sports European /EUFA league(s). Would they allow us in it if we carry on with the original?

By changing just one line as soon as the first ‘Hullo’ is proclaimed, Timmy knows the sentiment – he’ll know we’re the Billy Boys, he’ll know we sing The Sash, he’ll know we sing Derry’s Walls!

Then, we sing The Sash and Derry’s Walls! No Surrender!

This would do for me as well, perhaps the words need to be sent out to all fans groups and forums and see how the change is recieved. After all the Oranje Day Cup Final originaTed as an idea on the Internet and really took off. Perhaps this could work in a similar fashion. It would piss off the taigs and their media whores.

Any VB or FF members willing to post on the respective boards to ascertain the feelings on these forums.

For one who is so well versed in linguistics, it seems strange that you do not realise that you can be Protestant and Catholic; they are not mutually exclusive.

I find it strange that you can think you know what I realise from a few posts. I do know that but used 'Catholic' instead of 'Roman Catholic', as most here (and elsewhere) do.

I for one will continue to sing the songs that I`ve sang since I was a nipper ( Fenian word included) )

Before I get heckled from the do-gooders let me explain.

I sing these songs because I know the difference between singing songs and being a fucking retard who hates all catholics.

Most of us love a bit of football, tribal rivalry when supporting our team and singing a few words that antagonizes the other team surely doesn't hurt anyone.

Its when the people who think we should be all painted with the retard label, that we cant separate words in a song to our real life, that just pisses me off.

Just leave us alone to sing and create atmosphere before the game dies on its arse.

And before some retard picks up on the " being a fucking retard who hates all catholics"..... Don`t hate people for no other reason than following a religion, Its 2016 ffs, not the 17th century.

You're not supporting your club by selfishly singing whatever you want.

Edit: BTW...in answer to your pathetic do-gooder jibe. Have you considered that some people care what's good for Rangers?

1. So you're worried about as being defined as Anti-Catholic yet you're wanting to change the lyrics to include Derrys Walls and the Sash, which some will, wrongly, associate as being the same as fenian.

2. Still think that us being defined as Anti-Catholic and Celtic being defined as Catholic is absolutely bonkers, and I struggle to correlate that to any experiences of my own, or that of friends/associates/colleagues.

1. I'm worried about the effect this is having on the club.

2. Then our experiences differ but if you think it's bonkers that Rangers fans are seen as anti-Catholic in many quarters (and I don't just mean amongst them) then I don't know what planet you've been living on.

Typical that the Anti-PUL mob, the handwringers and the taig sympathisers all equate being proud of being a member of the PUL community to being a sectarian anti catholic bigot.

Typical that the Anti-PUL mob, the handwringers and the taig sympathisers all equate being proud of being a member of the PUL community to being a sectarian anti catholic bigot.

Thats what does my nut in mate,being proud of our heritage doesn't automatically mean we despise everyone else.

Not the best thread to write you first post but no I'm not a taig haha

Me and my dad had a spoke and thought something along the lines of this as it fits with the following line any thoughts? -

"You'll know us by our noise

we'll stand and fight against all foes

Surrender or you'll die"

Cheers

Grant.

I find it strange that you can think you know what I realise from a few posts. I do know that but used 'Catholic' instead of 'Roman Catholic', as most here (and elsewhere) do.

So you agree that "fenian" means "Roman Catholic" as, to most people, that is what it means.

Not the best thread to write you first post but no I'm not a taig haha

Me and my dad had a spoke and thought something along the lines of this as it fits with the following line any thoughts? -

"You'll know us by our noise

we'll stand and fight against all foes

Surrender or you'll die"

Cheers

Grant.

I prefer the sash and derrys wall version but it's good to get other versions put out there.

So you agree that "fenian" means "Roman Catholic" as, to most people, that is what it means.

I agree it can mean Roman Catholic. Like many English words it can have different meanings depending on the context.

They do try their utmost to turn us into what we are not ie. appeasers and apologists. Pretty pathetic really. You sometimes wonder if they should be supporting Thistle or the like, but of course there is little glory in doing so and they stay here and moan like fuck about some fictitious anti kafflic sentiment to try and get their way. We all know what taigs are and that's their problem and as long as they keep it their problem, they will have nowt to worry about.

Now after our latest rendition of The Billy Boys anthem, there must be a very small minority indeed who are not happy bunnies and it makes me wonder as to why they even bother turning up if they find it so unpleasant and doesn't fit in with their values. The Billy Boys is obviously here to stay as is the rest of our great anthems and will be sung even louder and prodder at every stadium across the land as we enter the top tier..

Our heritage has stood the test of time and we will continue to celebrate and glorify our great Club in the manner prescribed by our ancestors.

We will always be the Billy Boys as long as our erseholes points to the ground.

As the meaning of words and phrases can change over time and in this matter to our detriment, such is the politics of this backwater, then surely a new meaning to "Roman Catholic" is warranted and it's meaning must now also equal "paedophile" such is the institutional nature and extent of the crimes perp'd by that institution and confirmed as being institutional by successive courts across the planet?

Mention the word paedophile to me and I immediately think Catholic. Mention the word in mixed company and all the Taigs go silent. Can't for the life of me think why?

:mutley:

When I was a wee boy before I knew what Fenians were I thought the song was the "bully boys" because we bullied other teams :lol:

I also that it was "well never be defeated so surrender or you'll die" which I actually think sounds good

Been whistling this all day at work :lol:

Needs to come back, and I'm more than happy with ''We'll sing the sash and Derrys walls''

:lol: i always stand in my local and whistle the "he-llo" part loudly then stop, they know exactly what im doing but can hardly pull me up for whistling two notes :lol:

:lol: i always stand in my local and whistle the "he-llo" part loudly then stop, they know exactly what im doing but can hardly pull me up for whistling two notes :lol:

:lol:

Sounds like a challenge to try and get them to bite :lol: whistle a little bit more each time

I'm shite at whistling though, most cunts here probably think I'm whistling the strictly tune :lol:

Big trophies

EBT's

Chips n Cheese

Rebel

C*lt*c

Any others?

Mushy peas?

I think 'We'll sing The Sash and Derry's Walls, Surrender or you'll die' is the best so far.

Or we could use 'We're upto our knees in the old red seas, surrender or you'll die'